DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dungeon and Dragons game (sort of) WoT based.

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Sir_Charrid said:

Ahhh that makes more sense 🙂 

It's not dissimilar to laws regarding fanfiction. (Robert Jordan's estate doesn't like fanfiction, and it's one of the reasons it's not allowed on DM)

The difficult part about all of this pertains to fair-use.

When it comes to Trademarks, I don't think RJ's estate has all that many trademarks outside of the name of the book series, the book titles, chapter icons, and a few phrases. (I couldn't find much in the public trademark/copyright databases.) For instance, I don't believe "Aes Sedia", "One Power", "True Source", "True Power", or "Ajah" are trademarked, while "The Wheel of Time", and "Ovie'andi se tovya sagain" are. 

The 5e conversion probably violates trademark by using "The Wheel of Time" without permission. - But I'm not a lawyer. 😄

When it comes to Fair Use of the Wheel of Time 5e conversion, I'm inclined to believe that a "Wheel of Time 5e Conversion" is more derivative than transformative, which arguably violates fair-use.

Then we get into the quagmire that is OGL and whether 3rd party content is subject to the OGL. If that were the case, than any content created under the OGL could have derivatives made without permission or regard to trademark & copyright law... which I don't think is true. If it were, then anyone could make and sell a Star Wars TTRPG without getting sued by Disney, because the original Knights of the Old Republic used the OGL.

All of the above is 100% redundant for homebrew stuff, and only becomes relevant when it starts getting shared online and/or sold.

1 hour ago, Some_random_novice said:

Thank you @SinisterDeath for that useful information. I don’t know much about copyright laws but I don’t intend on sharing any actual information about the campaign except for possibly some home brew stuff. 

I wouldn't worry about sharing that kind of homebrew thru PMs, emails, and links with sharing access. Hope that helps! 

If it's already been mentioned, apologies, but the 3.5 Wheel of Time Official Role Play set the groundwork for a lot of how 5e's spellcasting works in general.

Weaves were essential individual spells with ranges.  Fireball, for example, was originally a level 1-9 spell that did more damage and a bigger explosion the higher a spellslot you put in.   It also gave ranges for higher than 9th level to account for strengths and Angreal/Sa'Angreal.

Following that, Wheel handled Strengths and weaknesses artificially adjusted levels.  So someone strong in Fire would cast a 6th level Fireball with only a 5th level slot.  While someone weak in Fire would require a 7th level slot to get the same effect.

Then with Angreal/Sa'Angreal they had a rating.  1-3 for Angreal, 4+ for Sa'Angreal.  Using one added that number of levels.  So a +1 Angreal made your 1st level Cure Wounds cast as a 2nd Level.  A +7 Sa'angreal (Like Vora's) meant that a level 2 Fireball was a 9th level. 

27 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

If it's already been mentioned, apologies, but the 3.5 Wheel of Time Official Role Play set the groundwork for a lot of how 5e's spellcasting works in general.

I actually looked at my copy of the 3.5 WoT TTRPG book the other day, and noticed that "weaves" have what we now call "upcasting" in 5th edition.

As far as I can tell, it might actually be the first instance of upcasting we know in TTRPG history. - If true, than WoT RPG added something we all use in modern D&D.

That said, I wouldn't go so far as to say the WoT RPG layed the groundwork for 5e's spell casting system, as 5e's spell casting system is still basically the same as 3.5e's spell casting system. 

The main differences being
1) Upcasting instead of Spellscaling
2) Lack of opportunity attacks for casting in melee range

Concentration checks for maintaining spells, and 5e's hybrid vanecian system for prepared casters were already concepts within 3.5 ruleset.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:12 PM, SinisterDeath said:

I don't believe bonus actions were a thing in 3.5.
They did have swift actions, which were essentially what is now a bonus action.

While I did mention embracing was an Action, I failed to mention it was specifically a Full Round Action, which basically means it didn't actually complete until the start of your next turn... so yeah, it would literally take 6 seconds to embrace the source.

I think there may even have been some weaves that were full round actions, which would theoretically allow creatures or players to move out of range before it went off.

*edit*
There exists on the internet someone's WoT 3.5 TTPRG to 5e conversion.
I personally don't like their attempt as I feel it's still too D&D.

I also feel that whoever wrote it, was playing fast and loose with existing copyright laws, but at least they weren't charging $$ for it.

I remember some friends and myself looking for the WOT RPG and we never could find it in a store near us back in the day.  We were excited about the concept but sounds as if the implementation wasn't great.  Especially if RJ thought it, was a huge mess.

• 10 months later...

How do fellow adventurers embrace the intricate nuances of a Wheel of Time-themed Dungeons & Dragons campaign?

Delving into a Dungeons and Dragons-inspired World of Tanks-themed game is a captivating blend of fantasy and strategy. During my academic journey, I sought assistance with written assignments, turning to the valuable service provided by https://icoholder.com/en/defi. It's a testament to the diverse realms of creativity and support that accompany both gaming adventures and academic pursuits.

Edited by jaydah00