DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was Moiraine's plan if the dragon was a woman?

3 hours ago, SilentRoamer said:

To answer the OP question - Morraine did not have a plan because I highly doubt that the showrunners/writers even considered it...

Still possible, would be a plot twist they were looking for....Rand could just be a distraction, although I wouldn't rule out the the whole "Dragon within all of us" route either.

Edited by Raal Gurniss

5 hours ago, SilentRoamer said:

So i'm re-reading EotW and there is a scene where they are travelling, they have been on the road for a few weeks after fleeing the TR. Mat says something like:

"See Rand, I can juggle 4 now, I told you I could do it before you". Tiny sentence that just gives so much information, it shows that both Rand and Matt are already training as Gleeman, it shows us they are developing a relationship with Thom as they learn new skills, it tells us Matt is slightly ahead of the game. 

This section made me think of the discussion above. There's even the scene with Steppin and Lan practicing forms - why not just add in Rand and Mat in the background practicing? Instead in a 58 minute episode we get 19 minutes of Steppin, a character that doesn't exist in the books and only exists to act as an exposition agent - something our existing characters could have done, developing their arcs at the same time as providing the needed exposition. 

That whole arc was a complete waste of time and honestly inventing new characters in Season 1 of a show where adapting the material in the timeframe means a lot of condensing seems just like some fanfic version of a show. Ughhhhhh.

Honestly my re-read of EotW is making me annoyed at how many great scenes there are and how these could have been adapted for the show. 

I cannot say fully why a scene like this wasn't planned but Lan and the Boys were not together all that long.  The vast majority of the time they were only slightly ahead of their pursuers which did not leave much time for practicing.  The pursuit seemed much more dogged and shorter than the one in the books.  They were then separated and didn't reunite until after a month.  Likely longer than they were originally traveling together.  After reuniting they take a day/day and a half through the waygate and we are at the finale.

Rafe has mentioned that weapon training is a thing we will see in season 2.

5 hours ago, SilentRoamer said:

To answer the OP question - Morraine did not have a plan because I highly doubt that the showrunners/writers even considered it...

Her plan was much the same as if the Dragon were male and no different from the book.  Get them to the Whitetower for safe keeping. 

AS for taking them to the blight that wasn't even on her radar until they got back to the tower.  Even then the idea of a female Dragon would likely have gone over much better with the tower and they might have been able to send a full circle of 13 to aid.

Edited by Skipp

5 hours ago, Skipp said:

I cannot say fully why a scene like this wasn't planned but Lan and the Boys were not together all that long.  The vast majority of the time they were only slightly ahead of their pursuers which did not leave much time for practicing.  The pursuit seemed much more dogged and shorter than the one in the books.  They were then separated and didn't reunite until after a month.  Likely longer than they were originally traveling together.  After reuniting they take a day/day and a half through the waygate and we are at the finale.

According to the timeline on Amazon's site for the show, Lan and the boys were together at least as long before separating as in EotW.  Also, the show has Lan say they lost the Shadowspawn at Taren Ferry, and didn't pick them up again until the day they ran for Shadar Logoth.  Plenty of opportunity to show the same training as in the book.

11 hours ago, SilentRoamer said:

6 hours ago, Skipp said:

Her plan was much the same as if the Dragon were male and no different from the book.  Get them to the Whitetower for safe keeping. 

AS for taking them to the blight that wasn't even on her radar until they got back to the tower.  Even then the idea of a female Dragon would likely have gone over much better with the tower and they might have been able to send a full circle of 13 to aid.

The OP's question was not about her plan at the beginning, it was specifically about her plan after they left Tar Valon for the Eye.  At which time it was absolutely "on her radar" since it was the entire point of going.  And at which time she still (according to the show) thought the Dragon could be Egwene or Nynaeve.

25 minutes ago, Andra said:

According to the timeline on Amazon's site for the show, Lan and the boys were together at least as long before separating as in EotW.  Also, the show has Lan say they lost the Shadowspawn at Taren Ferry, and didn't pick them up again until the day they ran for Shadar Logoth.  Plenty of opportunity to show the same training as in the book.

The OP's question was not about her plan at the beginning, it was specifically about her plan after they left Tar Valon for the Eye.  At which time it was absolutely "on her radar" since it was the entire point of going.  And at which time she still (according to the show) thought the Dragon could be Egwene or Nynaeve.

My mistake on the first part, I did forget about the travel montage after the Taren.

As for the 2nd point her plan was the same as it was in the Book, throw a Ta'varen at the problem and hope it goes away.  Although in the show they had a somewhat better idea of what they would be facing despite being lead there hook/line/sinker.  In the books Moiraine was like "We'll we made it to the eye, guess we will just camp here until something happens."

On a more serious note if the Dragon has turned out to be a woman Moiraine likely figured that she would have more control over their training as well as being able to link with them.  Not much of a plan but in both the books and the show the threat at the Eye comes up without warning and they head off with similar amounts of preparations.

3 hours ago, Skipp said:

As for the 2nd point her plan was the same as it was in the Book, throw a Ta'varen at the problem and hope it goes away. 

Except that she explicitly stated in the show that anyone that went to the Eye who wasn't the Dragon would die.  It wasn't Ta'Veren she needed, it was the Dragon, and no one else.

3 hours ago, Skipp said:

Not much of a plan but in both the books and the show the threat at the Eye comes up without warning and they head off with similar amounts of preparations.

In the book, she found out about the threat to the Eye while they were all on the road, and changed her plans on the spur of the moment to go there rather that to Tar Valon.  The only preparations she could make were those that were possible in a single night in Caemlyn.

In the show, she is told about the Eye by the Amyrlin, and would have had all the resources of the White Tower at the Amyrlin's command for her preparations.  There might have been some need for secrecy, but the resources would have nevertheless been orders of magnitude greater there.

In the final analysis the tv show was really unable to improve upon the book.

People have complained for years about the "weakness" of the books ending. 

And yet not even people who know the books cover to cover were able to come up with a better storyline.  I personally enjoyed Jordan's ending even if it was inconsistent. He was able to use the ending to foreshadow  a bunch of things that he could use in later books and that's cool. 

Edited by nsmallw
mis-spellings