DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 1 Discussion (Full Book Spoilers) v2.1

SinisterDeath

12 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

A question for the AS weave experts. Did the BA weaves look normal to other AS?

Yup. Most of the time they can recognize the weaves (thus duels), but all Ajah's have their own secret weaves so it isn't uncommon for some to not know the same weaves as the other.

12 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

A question for the AS weave experts. Did the BA weaves look normal to other AS?

Spoiler

Female to Female, there's no difference

For males, they may show some sort of protection from the taint /corruption that comes from the DO, but i wouldn't count on it. But in the books, the DO does keep the taint from affecting male DF channelers.

The thing is that there's still a reasonable amount of time to include the book's driving points to the Eye in the next two episodes; the campfire conversation with the Tinkers this week (imagine THAT as a brief flashback - and it's great foreshadowing for later), and the dream sequences with the boys, and then the Loial conversation when Moiraine meets Rand / Mat at the inn next week. 

All done - time to get to the Eye as quickly as possible. 

2 hours ago, Harad the White said:

Ok, then a follow up. Could they see Forsaken channeling/weaves? And, if so, would the BA, being DFs, not have that influence in their weaves, and look like junior Forsaken? Or a weaves just generically, Saidar & Saidin, without good or evil influencing them.

There is a trick called "inverting weaves" that is not rediscovered until midway through the series. Inverted weaves can't be seen. The Forsaken new how to do this. But if they didn't invert invert weaves, their weaves could be seen like any others.

Edited by Agitel

1 minute ago, Agitel said:

But if they didn't invert invert weaves, their weaves could be seen like any others.

And their weaves, if not inverted, would look like AS weaves, good and bad? And male Forsaken would look like male channelers, good and bad?  Or generally speaking the weaves look the same no matter what side you are on. They are just a tool that can be use for Good or Evil.

1 minute ago, Harad the White said:

And their weaves, if not inverted, would look like AS weaves, good and bad? And male Forsaken would look like male channelers, good and bad?  Or generally speaking the weaves look the same no matter what side you are on. They are just a tool that can be use for Good or Evil.

Weaves of the One Power, like the tapestry itself, are neither good nor evil; they simply are. Also, the taint is not visible to other people on weaves. So there's generally no way to tell one person's weaves from another, beyond knowing male or female. 

In rare cases, channellers were able to read the weaves to determine who had woven something, but that was due to long familiarity with the person involved. Not strangers. There are no signatures.

Except for knowing more, the FS weaves looked the same as those from anyone else, male or female.

There are different ways to form a weave with the same/similar effect (e.g. Aviendha's original discovery of the Travelling weave).

Also, a weave made by a man using saidar can look odd to a woman (e.g. Rand's weave during the cleansing), and the reverse is likely true as well.

Weaves of the TP can't be seen or sensed by anyone but the user, but that's something else entirely.

26 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

I'd imagine a Male Forsake weaving would look weird to a normal male because of the protection, but... Well, that's not likely to come up.

There's no mention of that in the books. The closest is that Rand sometimes senses black wires extending away from the male FS (Ishy and Asmodean), but that only happens in close proximity and in extreme situations.

I think if it were up to me, I would avoid making Elaida end up so ridiculous and incompetent by the end. It was unnecessary, and I think slightly overdone by BS in TGS especially - and just made the AS as an organisation look even worse than they needed to given they failed to do anything about a leader who was so obviously useless.

Guest Wolfbrother31

I think the taint is described as having an oily, slimy feeling? Which the show is trying to visualize?

Edited by Wolfbrother31

1 hour ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

I think the taint is described as having an oily, slimy feeling? Which the show is trying to visualize?

It does represent as an oily sheath. 

I also like the idea of it being...like a drug. Every time Logain touched the source you saw its familiar comforting wisps. Like it was saying "Hey...this time. This time its gonna be great!" and then he wills it to do something specific and down comes the blackness coating it and corrupting his mind further ?

Guest Wolfbrother31

So I just re-watched episode 4 and did the ending in slow motion/still frames. And now I have some new thoughts/criticisms.

#1. Moiraine does say in her conversation with Alanna whilst shielding Logain that men & women can't see each other's weaves. So then, if they're being consistent within the episode itself: A) Karine doesn't see Logain's spike but rather Moiraine & Liandrin's shields failing & tries to block for them. B) Logain doesn't see Nyn's healing weaves but rather some light artifact of her power burst.  

#2. The Aes Sedai "linking" together totally looked like a power rangers move. And pretty lame. Quick everybody do your arms like this X = more power. 

#3. Thom actually hits the Fade with his initial knife throw (I didn't notice that the first watch). 

#4. Logain is crying as he's gentled. Nice touch. 

#5. The general trivia says that whatever a wilder's first weave is becomes her talent (can anybody book verify that?) I don't recall ever reading that! 

#6. They are really subtly set things up for a bunch of WT politic-ing/drama. Liandrin suggesting to Nyn that the Reds would take action even against women who they thought were misusing the OP. Steppin saying that the Reds were breaking WT law. How the non-reds were looking as Liandrin gentles Logain with their power. Nyn calling Liandrin a snake & Lan saying she'll see what it is like at the WT soon enough. Ect... 

Edited by Wolfbrother31

13 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

#2. The Aes Sedai "linking" together totally looked like a power rangers move. And pretty lame. Quick everybody do your arms like this X = more power. 

This one actually jives with the books.

Aes Sedai teach hand motions for certain weaves and such - possibly to help in the learning process. Something that other channelers (any man, Aiel, SC, etc) do not rely on.

Its both a help and a horrible horrible crutch lol.

So I can easily see every AS taught the same hand motions to assist with the weaving. 

Guest Wolfbrother31

I'm down for the hand motions - I think they're doing a pretty good job with that. 

But I bet it was the power ranger Aes Sedai that came up with crossing your arms for linking ?

I thought the crossing of arms to start the linking was fine until they all did another pump in unison to... I guess, what? Provide an extra dose of power? That was pretty stupid. I did like the loopy strands of power coming out of them though.

#5. The general trivia says that whatever a wilder's first weave is becomes her talent (can anybody book verify that?) I don't recall ever reading that! 

talent small 't' maybe. i.e wilders would often have developed a weave on their own, sometimes something unknown to the Tower. Per Verin usually related to listing in (eavesdropping), or getting what they wanted (compulsion).

I don't believe the books ever equated first weaves to big 'T' Talents i.e. healing, dream-walking, foretelling etc.

Edited by Kudzu

I'll be unhappy to see this actor for Mat gone. He's been enjoyable so far and my favorite character besides Lan, Egwene (who I hated in the books hilariously enough), and Moraine. The rest of the cast does a wonderful job but now I can't look at Rand and see anything but Anakin. 

3 minutes ago, ThroneofTime said:

Anakin. 

I wouldn't go that far.

He seems to appreciate dirt and possibly its cousin sand.

I'll eat my words though if he starts to dislike sand though. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

?

2 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

I wouldn't go that far.

He seems to appreciate dirt and possibly its cousin sand.

I'll eat my words though if he starts to dislike sand though. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

?

It's his looks more than anything. Josha reminds me so much of Attack of the Clones Hayden Christensen that I had to double check the cast X-Rays. 

Just now, ThroneofTime said:

It's his looks more than anything. Josha reminds me so much of Attack of the Clones Hayden Christensen that I had to double check the cast X-Rays. 

I mean ... if Anakin was about looks its all good. 

Its that part when he started opening his mouth in acting that it fell apart.

So far Josha has not had that issue, when he acts he is fine and dandy.

Then again they are hiding him more than a disgraced politician right now to keep up this "Oh it cant possibly be Rand" illusion lmao.