DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brandon Sanderson’s Public Comments on Adapting the Books

TheMountain

1 minute ago, Gothic Flame said:

I think with this latest episode we can readily see the difference of a work that is an "adaptation" and "based upon the books."

Feel like we sort of knew that before we saw the episode though. The characters were never in Tar Valon in the book and we knew they were only going through the Ways in the next episode. So necessarily a good chunk of the episode was gonna be entirely new for the show.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

brandon says that there are two extremes of adaptation, the faitful adaptation and the adaptation in spirit, the first harry potter was an example of faithful, the shining was an example of spirit, and lotr is in the middle of those two extremes, and wot too, leaning a bit more towards in-spirit.

well if you are so attached to the word "adaptation", fine, he repeated the concept 3 or 4 times and some time he gave the "in spirit" version the "based on". Anyway it really doesn't make any difference how he called it the main concept stays the same this show is a "based of" and this is especially true after EP 6. Is it a bad thing ? not per se, it all depends on the final piece of art.

3 hours ago, NetNightmare said:

well if you are so attached to the word "adaptation", fine

don't put too much thought in the exact lessicon I use. i'm not trying to make a point by insistent terminology. I'm merely using the words that I are clearer to me.

if we want to be more exact, i could use the tvtropes sliding scale of adaptation modification, and give it 3/5 in terms of fidelity to the original.

although that scale is not particularly useful itself, because ratings 4 and 5 are nigh impossible to achieve anyway, 3 and 2 being the only really relevant (and i'd reserve 2 for stuff with heavy setting/plot modifications, like good omens where they set the whole story in the present day instead of the 80s)

oh, and by the way, a message that should be super positive for anyone:

brandon does not have a non-disparage agreement. he put that as a condition for being a consultant. so it basically went

"i'm not going to be your figurehead to take flak from the fans if you screw this up"

"we are not asking you to, because we are confident we are not going to screw this up"

sure, it's a marketing ploy, but it's an honest ploy. they would not have hired sanderson and given him the freedom to critique the show publicly if they weren't committed to doing a good job. and they are making a good job, even though some will still hate it for what is not.

• JenniferL changed the title to Brandon Sanderson’s Public Comments on Adapting the Books

Finally carved out time to watch this last night and really enjoyed it. I think I could listen to Sanderson talk about WoT all day.

I thought the $$ conversation between Wells and Sanderson was interesting. Felt like they are clearly in different stratospheres when it comes to payment for their work.

I'm not familiar enough with the publishing industry to understand the revenue streams for authors...royalties, bonuses, advances, etc. But when Wells said he got paid $10k for a novel I was like dang. If he wants to make a 6 figure salary, he needs to drop at least 10 books a year, 1 book every 5 weeks. That is a frantic pace.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying or missing some key info, just thought that was interesting.

Also, Sanderson not engaging on the $$ front from his end made me chuckle...like, oh yeah, I make 10x that, can't relate.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, JenniferL said:

Brandon is multiple NYT bestseller, has two Hugo Awards and has his own own books under adaptation. I’m sure he’ll be fine. 

Does anyone have a summary or transcript of this episode? I read faster than I listen. 

It would be almost impossible to transcribe The Dusty Wheel's shows because of their format.

8 hours ago, JenniferL said:

Does anyone have a summary or transcript of this episode? I read faster than I listen. 

seconded. with the additional caveat that i read english as well as my mother language, but i'm much less versed at hearing it in american accent through a loudspeaker. so for me, it's not a matter of saving time but of understanding it clearly

even without a transcript, a summary or some important quotes would be great.

Edited by king of nowhere

9 hours ago, DigificWriter said:

It would be almost impossible to transcribe The Dusty Wheel's shows because of their format.

Problem I have with most Dusty Wheel shows is the format  they are overly long with only small amounts of actual commentary. I like the hosts but the videos just drag.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, notpropaganda73 said:

I haven't watched this yet but apparently the WoT discussion starts around the 14 minute mark. 

Great discussion! Thanks for sharing it. I thought it reassuring that he feels Rafe is doing a good job and should keep helming the series.

Spoiler

Completely off-topic, but why doesn't Brandon Sanderson just photocopy his signature onto this book signings? Seeing him whip through them with barely a thought for each paper he signs severely devalues the point of an author's signature, IMO. But that's just a silly, unrelated comment of mine.

When Dan said "The very final episode was actually my favourite single episode of the show". I mean I've heard from people who like the show and people who don't like the show but that's an interesting take lol.  

Edit: also RIP Perrin fans ?

giphy.gif

Edited by SingleMort

3 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

Brandon: I think rafe has done a good job

All the rest of us: but Brandon could have done it better

This, I think, is where supporters of the show and bookcloaks can find common ground

come on man enough with the derogatory names for people. You'll call them something, they'll call you something back and it just goes on and on and on. If you want people to find common ground stop giving them the finger. Much as I disagree and was surprised at someone finding episode 8 their favourite I did actually agree with most of the other points they discuss.

Personally I'm not sure Brandon could have done it better. Brandon is a good writer but that doesn't necessarily mean he'd make a good showrunner because books and TV are very different mediums. I think the best option would be if Brandon was more involved with the show if he was an active part of the writing or at least someone who could be in the "room" (physical or virtual) with the writers. But I also understand that might be tough because he's got he's probably very busy with his own stories and can't afford to make WoT his fulltime job.  

Edited by SingleMort

On 12/9/2021 at 2:24 PM, Maximillion said:

It was a good discussion.

i think it’s pretty fair to say it’s another turning of the wheel, not what Robert Jordan wrote.

If you accept that then I am sure it’s easier to enjoy the series.

For those that don’t it’s harder not to hate it… especially as it’s Rafes interpretation…. of all the turnings in all of time he had to walk into this turning.?

The thing is... how can it be another turning if the fundamentals of the magic system and worldbuilding rules were changed?

Managed to watch 90% of it on my commute, he says a lot of things I agree with, here's a rambly summary:

• Perrin's lackluster arc, wife fridging was a bad move that went nowhere. 
  • Nynaeve and Egwene should have been set up to want to train after realizing their impotence at Tarwin's Gap
  • Lan needed to have something to do at the Blight, he suggested a moment where he defended Nynaeve trying to channel at Trollocs like a Warder and his AS. He wouldn't even have gotten his Ep 1 fight scene without Sanderson pushing for it. 
  • Episode 6's screenplay was his favourite because it is unique in that it was entirely Moiraine's POV but after seeing what's shot Episode 4 was his favourite.
  • He had little influence with Ep 5-6, and none with 7-8. 

On Rafe:

• He doesn't endorse people trashing Rafe and does not want his criticism to be used to support that.
  • He thinks Rafe did a "good job" and executed it "pretty well" with the "adaptation style they chose".
Edited by ilovezam
Replaced "decent" with direct quote

15 minutes ago, ilovezam said:

Managed to watch 90% of it on my commute, he says a lot of things I agree with, here's a rambly summary:

• Lan needed to have something to do at the Blight, he suggested a moment where he defended Nynaeve trying to channel at Trollocs like a Warder and his AS.   He wouldn't even have gotten his Ep 1 fight scene without Sanderson pushing for it. 

Good lord.  As bad as they screwed Lan, imagine if he hadn't even had that one scene that at least shows he is a good swordsman.