DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Three "Wives"

On 11/10/2023 at 1:06 AM, Samt said:

That's kind of an odd take considering the whole sister wives thing is pretty explicitly a reference to them becoming sisters that share a mother. They have a whole ceremony where they are reborn from a common mother.

So your theory suggests that it's not only polygamous, but also incestuous.  

I believe you are mistaking sister wives for first sisters.  Sister wives do not have to be first sisters.  

The ceremony you are talking about involves two women who are closer than friends who wish to adopt each other as first sister.  That has nothing to do with becoming sister wives.

Two women can share a husband without being first sisters.

Edited by Dagon Thyne

1 hour ago, Dagon Thyne said:

I believe you are mistaking sister wives for first sisters.  Sister wives do not have to be first sisters.  

The ceremony you are talking about involves two women who are closer than friends who wish to adopt each other as first sister.  That has nothing to do with becoming sister wives.

Two women can share a husband without being first sisters.

Interesting.  I was aware that first sisters and sister wives are different and that the ceremony is to become first sisters.  However, I had thought that to become sister wives two women must be first sisters already.  Perhaps that is not the case.  

However, my point is that the relationship between sister wives is shown as being primarily that of sisters.  The wives part comes from the fact that they are wives to a common husband.  They are not wives to each other.  As such, there is no implied sexual relationship like there would be between husband and wife.  That doesn't necessarily mean that there couldn't be a sexual relationship, but I would say that RJ made it clear that these relationships are not generally sexual.  

We can fanfic slash any two characters if we want to, but that's about all there is to sex between sister wives.  

Edited by Samt

1 hour ago, Samt said:

Interesting.  I was aware that first sisters and sister wives are different and that the ceremony is to become first sisters.  However, I had thought that to become sister wives two women must be first sisters already.  Perhaps that is not the case.  

However, my point is that the relationship between sister wives is shown as being primarily that of sisters.  The wives part comes from the fact that they are wives to a common husband.  They are not wives to each other.  As such, there is no implied sexual relationship like there would be between husband and wife.  That doesn't necessarily mean that there couldn't be a sexual relationship, but I would say that RJ made it clear that these relationships are not generally sexual.  

We can fanfic slash any two characters if we want to, but that's about all there is to sex between sister wives.  

No.  Any women can marry the same man if they agree to share him.

The only difference with women who adopt each other as first sisters is that they can't get married UNLESS they both want to marry the same man.  

19 minutes ago, Dagon Thyne said:

No.  Any women can marry the same man if they agree to share him.

The only difference with women who adopt each other as first sisters is that they can't get married UNLESS they both want to marry the same man.  

Does that apply to all first sisters or only to non-biological first sisters?  My understanding was that first sisters is also the term for two women who were literally born sisters.  

3 hours ago, Samt said:

Does that apply to all first sisters or only to non-biological first sisters?  My understanding was that first sisters is also the term for two women who were literally born sisters.  

First sister applies to both Is actual sisters, And to close friends who adopt each other as first sisters.  Only adopted first sisters are allowed to become sister wives.  Two blood sisters can't actually marry the same man.

On 12/3/2021 at 11:10 PM, HeWhoRunsWithTheSpears said:

Does anyone else feel that this plot point is one of the worst in the entire series? I'm sure it's been brought up countless times, but I just want to give my two cents on it. I don't understand why Jordan felt the need to connect him to Elayne and Aviendha. CLEARLY the only real connection he has is to Min. They actually have a pretty decent love story going. There is absolutely no endgame for his "relationship" (if you can even call it that) with Elayne and Aviendha.

I read this whole series as an adult and this bugged me the entire time. It seemed like a teenager's fantasy (being written by a man in his 50s-60s, all the more creepy). It's not like Rand's relationship with Elayne and Aviendha even served any sort of fantasy narrative purpose. 

Someone convince me I'm wrong?

Honestly, this was something that irked me and was one of the first things I ranted about on this forum. Jordon poses a really big question IMO in terms of why we struggle to live the way we do (or in Rand's case, "What is Rand fighting for?"). Ishamael's reason for going over to the dark one was a logical one. Given the trend in the pattern, eventually the dark one will break free, or in terms we can identify with, we will all eventually cease to exist leaving behind nothing, so why bother with anything? It's all vanity in the end. 

I was hoping for some profound and insightful answer to this question, but instead the answer that Rand finds is in all the memories of him banging hot chicks throughout time. I mean, I get that Jordon was saying it's all about love or whatnot, but then even Jordon seemed to think that just one love wouldn't be enough for Rand to endure all the crap he endures. So Jordon/The Creator was like, "Alright buddy, you do this thing for me and I'll get you 3 smoking hot chicks of unique or high status, the powers of a god and to hell with Egwene cause we stopped caring about her after Caemlyn in EoTW." 

Edited by Dedicated