DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Feminism changes

DojoToad

On 11/20/2021 at 3:19 PM, The Purple Ajah said:

Tam the farmer and blademaster.

This is a poor example for you because he was another example of a character being lessoned.  Nynaeve kills a trolloc with a knife, but a blademaster gets his ass handed to him while he has his sword? 

Another example of a pointless girl power moment being injected was making Perrin's fake wife a blacksmith.  This was an obvious "look how badass women are" insertion.

Come on.  At this point, you seem to just be trying to be willfully blind.

Rafe may bring it back around, but at this point, it is not looking good.  The crazy thing is it is completely unnecessary.  There are countless examples of women being badass in the books without trying to inject more.

Edited by Liberty Dog

6 minutes ago, Liberty Dog said:

This is a poor example for you because he was another example of a character being lessoned.  Nynaeve kills a trolloc with a knife, but a blademaster gets his ass handed to him while he has his sword? 

Weight advantages, enclosed space, and basic physics being a factor in that particular fight scene.

6 hours ago, henfen said:

In fact, the Aiel show us just how much gender is socially constructed.

While there have been women only orders of warriors in the real world, the existence of such in a work of fiction does not prove anything about gender being constructed socially or otherwise.

Even if any given thing was "socially constructed", what does that mean?  Does it mean it has no validity, no substance?  I've seen the term thrown around a lot, but never seen anyone logically explain what they think it means.

In the real world, men and women are different, from the individual cells up to muscular and skeletal formations, brain structure differences, hormones, and even sensory capabilities.

In fictional worlds, they can be whatever the creator wants.  Which raises the question: Did RJ write women as being the same as men?  Answer: No, he didn't.  He wrote them as extremely different to the men.

18 minutes ago, Liberty Dog said:

Another example of a pointless girl power moment being injected was making Perrin's fake wife a blacksmith. 

Because there are famously no female blacksmiths.

19 minutes ago, Liberty Dog said:

Nynaeve kills a trolloc with a knife, but a blademaster gets his ass handed to him while he has his sword? 

Nyn kills a trolloc after striking from a position of advantage. Tam fights off and nearly kills a trolloc after being surprised and overwhelmed. The idea that being more skilled means that you should automatically win in every situation is silly. 

These are not good examples for making your point.

24 minutes ago, Liberty Dog said:

Another example of a pointless girl power moment being injected was making Perrin's fake wife a blacksmith.  This was an obvious "look how badass women are" insertion.

Come on.  At this point, you seem to just be trying to be willfully blind.

Rafe may bring it back around, but at this point, it is not looking good.  The crazy thing is it is completely unnecessary.  There are countless examples of women being badass in the books without trying to inject more.

ok bye

1 minute ago, Elder_Haman said:

Tam fights off and nearly kills a trolloc after being surprised and overwhelmed. The idea that being more skilled means that you should automatically win in every situation is silly. 

These are not good examples for making your point.

He killed at least 3 in the book.  Their was zero reason for him to lose the fight in that manner.  He could have won the fight and still been injured. The pattern of changes is plainly there to see, whether you agree or not.

1 minute ago, Elder_Haman said:

There's no pattern. Only scenes that you are seizing on as evidence to support your pre-conceived ideas.

The OP pointed out a clear pattern.  I see it.  He sees it.  Others see it.  You don't.  I am simply stating my opinion, not trying to get you to change yours.  You do you and I'll do me.

14 minutes ago, Liberty Dog said:

He killed at least 3 in the book.  Their was zero reason for him to lose the fight in that manner. 

there was a big reason for him to lose the fight in that manner: rafe wants to keep the identity of the dragon a mystery, and having a swordmaster father would certainly point an arrow towards rand.

for the same reason we didn't get the fever dream along the road, though we may get that later as a flashback

3 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

there was a big reason for him to lose the fight in that manner: rafe wants to keep the identity of the dragon a mystery,

This whole thing has been poorly handled and not even successful.  I have seen very few examples online or in my personal conversations where non readers have not figured out it who it is by the second episode.

1 minute ago, Liberty Dog said:

Nice hot take

At least with Nynaeve killing the trolloc physically or the Women's Circle killing the trolloc you'd have a whisper of an argument (except with the latter they do that later in the books). Thinking a woman being a blacksmith is some sort of out of the ordinary girl power moment is asinine. I suggest you do some real world research.

1 minute ago, Liberty Dog said:

This whole thing has been poorly handled and not even successful.  I have seen very few examples online or in my personal conversations where non readers have not figured out it who it is by the second episode.

i have a personal sample of one, and she didn't have it figured out. other people report similar reactions from their loved ones who watched the show with them.

hell, i know who the dragon is, but i wouldn't be able to tell from the show.

i assume some people got themselves spoilered and that's all.

Just now, king of nowhere said:

i have a personal sample of one, and she didn't have it figured out. other people report similar reactions from their loved ones who watched the show with them.

hell, i know who the dragon is, but i wouldn't be able to tell from the show.

i assume some people got themselves spoilered and that's all.

There was even a (shitty) review where they hilariously commented that Rand keeps acting like he's the main character when he clearly isn't because it's Moiraine and Egwene.

Yeah. while it is not as obvious as in the books, it doesnt take a deep thinker to easily narrow down who the DR has to be.

Nynaeve is too old from the questioning. Also, Morraine didnt seem to care one bit that Nynaeve was snatched.

Egwene wants it way too bad. Plenty of small things to show Egwene has no interest at all in being a villager with a family. She wants more. Throw in Rand's comment about "did she promise you were the one?" shows that others see it as well.

Mat was turned into a low moral, low character, no chance.

Perrin is completely destroyed, like Sanderson said, there is no way in the time frame given that Perrin can emotionally recover from the trauma and it is cheap and a very poor representation.

Leaving Rand.

Just now, Liberty Dog said:

Yes you are.

No I'm not.

You have problems if you think a woman being a blacksmith is an attempt at a girl power moment and you should just quit watching the show now because you're going to find any moment where a female does anything good or useful at all to be a girl power moment. Unless of course it was RJ who made the woman good or useful. Then it's ok. It's just a normal scene and they didn't even play it up that her being a BS is special in any way. It's just her job. Your other examples suck too and you're the willfully blind one.

2 minutes ago, flinn said:

Egwene wants it way too bad. Plenty of small things to show Egwene has no interest at all in being a villager with a family. She wants more. Throw in Rand's comment about "did she promise you were the one?" shows that others see it as well.

I have not gotten any sense at all that Egwene wants to be the DR. She only seems interested in channeling, and not overly much. They all seem indifferent to the DR stuff (which is actually a bit weird tbh).

Edited by Deadsy

1 minute ago, Deadsy said:

you're going to find any moment where a female does anything good or useful at all to be a girl power moment. Unless of course it was RJ who made the woman good or useful. Then it's ok. 

Thank goodness I have you here to explain my inner thoughts, feelings and motivations for me!