DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E8: The Eye of the World

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 8 titled "The Eye of the World"

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 8.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

People keep saying “wait” on Rand getting his op moment. I’ve been hearing that all season.

How long do we have to wait for Rand to get his moment? 

“oh it’s okay a side character did Tarwins gap, Rand will have falme.”

quickly becomes “oh it’s okay Moragase did Falme Rand has his big moment at Dumai wells” etc 

I was excusing many of yet things that concerned me because I was confident there would be payoff at Tarwins gap. And that would be Rands moment.

it didn’t happen. So now I have to consider the show as a whole and there is nothing that gives me faith that Rafe will do justice to my favorite characters biggest moments. His favorite characters will get their moments but mine wont.

Mat, Rand, and Perrin were done dirty this season and I don’t see that changing. 

It’s not the story Rafe wants to tell. 

So next season is almost certainly going to be set primarily in the White Tower with occasional cutaways to Perrin hunting Padan Fain, Rand in the Blight, and Mat doing whatever. They aren’t our protagonists in our show, they’re side characters.

The protagonist is going to be Moiraine and Lan and her journey to be healed along with Egwene and Nynaeve.

I could be wrong, but everything about season 1 shows me this show was not made for people who’s favorite characters are the three boys. 

13 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

I saw comments like this on twitter too.   Mostly, they centered around how peaceful the AoL city seemed.  But, even in Rand's wayback machine visions, life seemed to continue on as normal for a lot of people in the visions.

Personally, I think that we may see a lot more AoL stuff in season two.  I don't have a lot to base it on but it might make sense to make LTT a character that does more then just yell and scream in Rand's head.  So, maybe they do a whole AoL story arc for him. 

I may end up being wrong, but I am pretty confident that was the capital of the world -  Paraan Disen - and it never got overrun and the only attack it had was beaten off by LTT a while earlier.  So plenty of time for life to go on as normal as possible (much like it would be for Canada/US while WW2 raged in Europe/Asia)  I think we got to see the Hall of the Servants and several other key buildings from that quick glimpse.   Guess we'll WAFO to see if we get any more - but with Rhuidean coming, I expect we will.  

22 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Also, side note everyone saying it's not Rafe's fault...he wanted more episodes.  If Jackson could do 3 books of LOTR in 10-12 hours.  Rafe should be able to do 1 book in 8.  I understand it's not apples to apples and people were made about changes to LOTR.

LotR is a short and simple story, they had much larger budget, movies are not TV etc.

9 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

I definitely think that this was going to be Mat's scene in the finale but given his absence they had to cut and move things around a bit.

I am really curious how they are going to fit Mat, Fain, and the dagger back in.  We obviously saw Mat going back to Tar Valon so we at least know where he is supposed to be.  But, where do they move him next?

I was definitely thinking all the Perrin/Fain stuff from the last 2 episodes was supposed to have been Mat, since he was the only character given a connection to Fain in the 1st episode.  If Mat hadn't left the show, Perrin wouldn't have had anything to do for 2 episodes besides being the 3rd wheel of Rand/Egwene.

23 minutes ago, Mirefox said:

You’re right that he didn’t get it “yet” but this was the season finale!  I’m sure it is coming but structurally, the season needed to hit the right points for the SEASON climax and this as a massively missed story point in terms of a season arc.

I actually disagree. ?

I think they intentionally went with more setup in this episode than closing out of season one elements.

Think of a trilogy structure.  You can have a big victory closing out the first installment (like Star Wars - A New Hope), with a set back ending the second (like Empire Strikes Back), and then go into the final victory of Return of the Jedi.   That's a High, Low, High structure.  But, you can also do a Low, Medium (Falme), High (Stone) structure.   I think that is where they are going with it because it fits better with adapting all the books rather then just doing it book-by-book.

13 minutes ago, sw0mp_d0nk3y said:

The showrunners were lucky that they had some good looking footage and a lot of good will leading to the early greenlighting of season 2.  If Amazon waited until that finale, and the fan reaction from it, they would have had to strongly consider cancelling the show.  

Guess that would depend on the overall fan reaction.    The Dusty Wheel poll had about 1000 people voting and it was split 50/50 over like/dislike.    And thats the hardcore fan base not the casual viewer.   I know the casual viewer with me loved Ep8 (and the show itself).   Shes already bing re-watched half of S1 already.  Going to find out soon how Everyday Negroes and other Non-reader reaction shows handled it.

So we'll need some time to get a better understanding.   As always people who do not love/hate something are less likely to interact on boards like this - but their numbers will always be more crucial than can be shown on fan boards.

4 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

I may end up being wrong, but I am pretty confident that was the capital of the world -  Paraan Disen - and it never got overrun and the only attack it had was beaten off by LTT a while earlier.  So plenty of time for life to go on as normal as possible (much like it would be for Canada/US while WW2 raged in Europe/Asia)  I think we got to see the Hall of the Servants and several other key buildings from that quick glimpse.   Guess we'll WAFO to see if we get any more - but with Rhuidean coming, I expect we will.  

Even if Paaren Disen wasn't overrun (and i think you are correct) we have no sense of jeopardy in that scene. I have felt the same way about the season as a whole. No climate change affecting the crops, a feeling of change in the air. I wish they would have shown how desperate things were in the AoL for LTT to have made this gambit.

I like the layout of the EotW. I thought the set was nice. I noticed the Aes Sedai symbol and, when it cracked, realized what it was. 

However, changing the power at the eye into a sa’angreal does not make sense to me. Same item and purpose in the story, so I do not understand the change. 

Will they make all of the seals this same size?  That definitely changes some of the items in the books. 

I think what Rand did there was significant, but will non-book readers even recognize that?  

Just now, TheDreadReader said:

I actually disagree. ?

I think they intentionally went with more setup in this episode than closing out of season one elements.

Think of a trilogy structure.  You can have a big victory closing out the first installment (like Star Wars - A New Hope), with a set back ending the second (like Empire Strikes Back), and then go into the final victory of Return of the Jedi.   That's a High, Low, High structure.  But, you can also do a Low, Medium (Falme), High (Stone) structure.   I think that is where they are going with it because it fits better with adapting all the books rather then just doing it book-by-book.

Absolutely.

I mentioned this earlier.    I took this similar as the Frodo reaching Rivendell in LOTR.   Basically we're halfway through the first third.   

The Seanchan reveal was meant as the cliff hanger needed for the Season, but on the whole when adapting 14 books as a whole, rather than 1 book by 1 book, you have a lot more room to work with and you can use different structuring.  If they were adapting book by book strictly speaking, we'd need 8+ perfectly self contained closings.   

3 minutes ago, Finfolfin said:

Even if Paaren Disen wasn't overrun (and i think you are correct) we have no sense of jeopardy in that scene. I have felt the same way about the season as a whole. No climate change affecting the crops, a feeling of change in the air. I wish they would have shown how desperate things were in the AoL for LTT to have made this gambit.

Agreed.  I think this was a case of logical vs. emotional.   Logically speaking what they showed was accurate but emotionally speaking it could have been better portrayed for many.  I would have liked a stronger sense of desperation, but was fine with his sense of doing this for his family.  

6 minutes ago, Wassup said:

However, changing the power at the eye into a sa’angreal does not make sense to me. Same item and purpose in the story, so I do not understand the change. 

Yeah I don't really get it either. Only thing I can think of is they needed Moiraine to have at least some semblance of a plan. And I guess yeeting the DR at the Dark One with a very powerful sangreal is somewhat better than just plain yeeting him?

I am curious if that Sangreal could be used by both men and women or if the WT just happened to have a male sangreal lying around. Because that has repercussions later on for both Callandor and especially the Choedan Kal.

Im speechless....

How could Rafe DO This.....

I wrote a fan outlineof what episode 8 would be.....never did i think it would be BETTER than what we got on screen

Detailed thoughts coming.....but i will say it has killed my interest in Season 2.I wont watch season 2 unless it gets rave reviews from critics and book readers ad even then it will e after season is completed

12 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

Guess that would depend on the overall fan reaction.    The Dusty Wheel poll had about 1000 people voting and it was split 50/50 over like/dislike.    And thats the hardcore fan base not the casual viewer.   I know the casual viewer with me loved Ep8 (and the show itself).   Shes already bing re-watched half of S1 already.  Going to find out soon how Everyday Negroes and other Non-reader reaction shows handled it.

So we'll need some time to get a better understanding.   As always people who do not love/hate something are less likely to interact on boards like this - but their numbers will always be more crucial than can be shown on fan boards.

Plus, ultimately Amazon is paying attention to number of views, not opinions.  I'm disappointed in the show, but I'll keep watching it, and actually do enjoy it to some extent.  My wife went from ignoring the show to watching it with me every episode by the end of the season.  By all indication, this show is doing very well in the number of views metrics. 

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I had heard about the Wheel of Time and planned to read the series from a family member before I heard of the Amazon series, but the series gave me the extra push to start reading. I am currently a third of the way tbrough The Dragon Reborn.

As for the show I actually think up until this episode it was a fairly faithful adaptation of The Eye of the World. There were things I would have liked to be different, but there's a lot of information to get across. I watch the Show with a non-reader and I myself am only on book 3.

The mystery of who is the dragon was really well done and it drew people into the show. I think this worked really well and whilst most people guessed it was Rand it did cause discussion and excitement.

I also think Lan being more emotional makes him a better character than the books.

I can see the arguments against wasting two episodes on Stefan, but for me those were the two best episodes on the series and they did not contradict any of the law. I am someone who is rarely moved by films, but I thought Stefans's death and funeral were excellent and it made me really care for Land. Other highlights were the reveal that Dana was a dark friend and Thom. 

Now getting to this episode. I think this episode was the worst out of the series and not only a poor adaptation, but just a poor series finale.

6 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

Yeah I don't really get it either. Only thing I can think of is they needed Moiraine to have at least some semblance of a plan. And I guess yeeting the DR at the Dark One with a very powerful sangreal is somewhat better than just plain yeeting him?

I am curious if that Sangreal could be used by both men and women or if the WT just happened to have a male sangreal lying around. Because that has repercussions later on for both Callandor and especially the Choedan Kal.

Well, since they have not made much effort to differentiate Saidin from Saidar I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they eliminated the idea that there are sangreal for men and sangreal for women.   

6 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

I am curious how she even knew what it was if it is male specific?  Isn’t it specified in the books that channelers cannot recognize angreal or sa’angreal designed for the opposite sex just like they cannot see or sense each other’s weaves?

Uh.... what the .... was this episode? Extremely weird. I mean I had some hope before, having really enjoyed aspects of the show. I understand adaptation to a new medium means you have to make changes. However, most of the changes made - new story priorities, and focusing on certain charachters over others etc. - have mostly been questionable. Where is the core story in all of this? Do the showrunners even know? This is pretty much beyond words at this point, Sad to say I wont be watching the next season. 

2 minutes ago, Cellardur said:

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I had heard about the Wheel of Time and planned to read the series from a family member before I heard of the Amazon series, but the series gave me the extra push to start reading. I am currently a third of the way tbrough The Dragon Reborn.

As for the show I actually think up until this episode it was a fairly faithful adaptation of The Eye of the World. There were things I would have liked to be different, but there's a lot of information to get across. I watch the Show with a non-reader and I myself am only on book 3.

The mystery of who is the dragon was really well done and it drew people into the show. I think this worked really well and whilst most people guessed it was Rand it did cause discussion and excitement.

I also think Lan being more emotional makes him a better character than the books.

I can see the arguments against wasting two episodes on Stefan, but for me those were the two best episodes on the series and they did not contradict any of the law. I am someone who is rarely moved by films, but I thought Stefans's death and funeral were excellent and it made me really care for Land. Other highlights were the reveal that Dana was a dark friend and Thom. 

Now getting to this episode. I think this episode was the worst out of the series and not only a poor adaptation, but just a poor series finale.

Careful, here there be spoilers.

But welcome ?

2 minutes ago, Wassup said:

I am curious how she even knew what it was if it is male specific?  Isn’t it specified in the books that channelers cannot recognize angreal or sa’angreal designed for the opposite sex just like they cannot see or sense each other’s weaves?

I mean they might just have records that say it's a male sangreal even if she can't feel it herself.

3 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Well, since they have not made much effort to differentiate Saidin from Saidar I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they eliminated the idea that there are sangreal for men and sangreal for women.   

Maybe, but that does present issues later on so I'm not sure if that works. It's also pretty hard to really differentiate Saidin and Saidar so far when Saidin has barely been present. Just a shielded Logain, and the Aes Sedai aren't going to know much about Saidin.

1 minute ago, Apsalar said:

Uh.... what the .... was this episode? Extremely weird. I mean I had some hope before, having really enjoyed aspects of the show. I understand adaptation to a new medium means you have to make changes. However, most of the changes made - new story priorities, and focusing on certain charachters over others etc. - have mostly been questionable. Where is the core story in all of this? Do the showrunners even know? This is pretty much beyond words at this point, Sad to say I wont be watching the next season. 

What core story changed in outcome?

Rand went to the eye.  There was a battle at Fal Dara.   The horn was found and lost.

The two biggest changes to me is Rand decided to go off on his (but can be brought back to Fal Dara pretty easily) and Mat is currently in Tar Valon (because the actor left the show).