DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E5: Blood Calls Blood

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 5 titled "Blood Calls Blood".

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 5.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

Episode 5 is finished and we still haven't mentioned blademasters yet.  Lan still hasn't shown his prowess, Rand doesn't have any special relationship with Lan and hasn't practiced swords, we haven't had special mention of Tams sword, there was no Two Rivers quarterstaff competition to show some of the skills these men had growing up, no Garrth Bryne scene to point out Rands heron mark blade, no Lan killing a fade....

They really need to start building some of that stuff up soon.  Otherwise Rand it won't be believable for Rand to defeat a blademaster at the end of season2.  And if they delete that from the show then they have missed some of the best moments in the books

5 minutes ago, flinn said:

Mat actor is truly outstanding. The way he is playing the dagger tainted Mat compared to the pre tainted Mat is really good.

Good actor but I can't understand half of what he's saying.  I hate having subtitles on but I feel like I have to to catch his dialog.  

I liked Perrin telling Egwene because it sets up Perrin having someone to talk to that's not only faile. In the books we always in his head and they can't do that in the show.The Perrin actor is also doing a  good job just selling his hurt. If the Rand actor had to sell that hard of a scene it would not work.

17 minutes ago, WheelofJuke said:

I'm not sure why a Warder had a set of Forsaken idols to begin with, anyway. It was just a really sloppy way to introduce something that should've been taken care of in Episode 1. 

Stepin explained they were his mother’s figures and he’s obviously in a sentimental/emotional state. I thought it was a clever way to tie in the Forsaken with a bit of world building to show the way people feared them and practiced rituals to ward against evil

3 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

Episode 5 is finished and we still haven't mentioned blademasters yet.  Lan still hasn't shown his prowess, Rand doesn't have any special relationship with Lan and hasn't practiced swords, we haven't had special mention of Tams sword, there was no Two Rivers quarterstaff competition to show some of the skills these men had growing up, no Garrth Bryne scene to point out Rands heron mark blade, no Lan killing a fade....

They really need to start building some of that stuff up soon.  Otherwise Rand it won't be believable for Rand to defeat a blademaster at the end of season2.  And if they delete that from the show then they have missed some of the best moments in the books

Agreed.

Theres too many Rand moments that are being skipped over, and none the reaons given seem valid.

Rand's sword master skills are my biggest concerns

If they combine Elaida and Liandrin, that will also be a bit odd.  Wonder why they just wouldn't call her Elaida then...  Plus who's the black sisters going to be if Liandrin is not one of them?  

I'll still thinking we get an Elaida maybe next season when they bring in Elayne

1. I'm mixed on Loial.  I like his overall Bonhomie.  He's warm and open as he should be.  The costuming and acting are straight out of a stage play.  Think about Gimli in LOTR in contrast.

2.  Why spend all of that time on an Aes Sedai's death and the effects of the bond on a warder?  They are choosing that over significant pieces of the story.

Gaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!

I hate this.

9 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

How will he win the fight at the end of this season???

9 minutes ago, Deviations said:

Good actor but I can't understand half of what he's saying.  I hate having subtitles on but I feel like I have to to catch his dialog.  

To be fair, the sound is terrible throughout; this is only show I've ever needed to watch entirely with CC ON. It detracts greatly from a "letting the viewer immerse themselves in the setting" aspect, for me. 

8 minutes ago, DELTA said:

Stepin explained they were his mother’s figures and he’s obviously in a sentimental/emotional state. I thought it was a clever way to tie in the Forsaken with a bit of world building to show the way people feared them and practiced rituals to ward against evil

So....his mother was a Darkfriend? ?

12 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

I think we will get scenes of Rand being trained in Fal Dara. And then we will get a time jump between seasons, followed by a couple more scenes of Rand training and being far better. 

Maybe a line of Lan dialogue about Rand being a great student. Problem solved. I’m not worried about this at all. 

5 minutes ago, Deviations said:

How will he win the fight at the end of this season???

The same way he did in the books? Without really knowing what he was doing.

Also I never realised people thought Rand killing a blademaster 1v1 after less than a years training was something realistic to build up to in the first place haha. I'd not be sweating that one, he'll get some training in Fal Dara and a shot or two at the start of S2 if they want to go that route and that will be enough.

Edited by DermidAjala

1 minute ago, DaddyFinn said:

Why spend all of that time on an Aes Sedai's death and the effects of the bond on a warder?

Because that is important in the long run

The long run is how many books away when Lan's bond is handed off?  Why set that up now?  Why aren't they more effectively setting up Lan's relationship with Rand, which in the early books, are as important as his relationship with Nynave?

Why waste time and special effects dollars with a ring melting or a procession?  Specific things happened in Camelyn that are critical to the story and the development of each central character.  They cut Camelyn out and filled in with fabricated lesser material.