DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

NY Comic Con Discussion Thread

Elder_Haman

3 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Thanks for sharing the link.  Really cool discussion.  One thing I would have like to seen addressed or at least acknowledged is the re-casting of Mat - not gory details, but hey it happened unfortunately (or fortunately) but we're moving on...

Maybe Barney doesn't want it to be discussed?

Edited by DaddyFinn

3 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Thanks for sharing the link.  Really cool discussion.  One thing I would have like to seen addressed or at least acknowledged is the re-casting of Mat - not gory details, but hey it happened unfortunately (or fortunately) but we're moving on...

Double..

Edited by DaddyFinn

7 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

There are no elven Aes Sedai.

Aragorn doesn’t exist in this reality. Thus you are commingling my two existences. 

I am an Aes Sedai. 

I also happen to be an elf of Lorien. 

Either way I am awesome. 

Just now, CaddySedai said:

Aragorn doesn’t exist in this reality. Thus you are commingling my two existences. 

I am an Aes Sedai. 

Either way I am awesome. 

I am also a slytherin, a jedi, and a member of the Q continuum - in case you need references ?

5 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Barney doesn't have to discuss, but Rafe could have...

Always good to remember that we are not owed any information on that subject.  Personally, I'm surprised that it hasn't been addressed (even with leaked information) but very little changes for me whether I know or I don't know what happened.  I am sympathetic to those who want to know though.  

6 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

I am an Aes Sedai. 

Either way I am awesome. 

Okay then.  I'm off to my cave to begin my hermit-like existence so I do not taint your glorious-ness...

?

3 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

Always good to remember that we are not owed any information on that subject.  Personally, I'm surprised that it hasn't been addressed (even with leaked information) but very little changes for me whether I know or I don't know what happened.  I am sympathetic to those who want to know though.  

Really?  They don't owe us anything?  Well then I can stop thinking about it.  Thanks. ?

It is just a 'nice to know' type thing.  Trivia if nothing else.  I'm not losing sleep...

4 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Really?  They don't owe us anything?  Well then I can stop thinking about it.  Thanks. ?

It is just a 'nice to know' type thing.  Trivia if nothing else.  I'm not losing sleep...

You owe yourself nothing either ?

If you stop thinking about yourself… does a DojoToad cease to be?

Curious. 

24 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Barney doesn't have to discuss, but Rafe could have...

Maybe they have agreed not to. We don't know. Of course it would be nice to know if it was due to personal issues, issues with production, with the other cast members etc. and not say any details and leave it at that.

I would imagine there’s some sort of mutual non disclosure agreement in place. Especially since they are trying to build hype for the show and Amazon doesn’t want anything to distract from that. And Barney doesn’t want anything to disrupt his ability to get work in the future. I’m sure we will find out eventually, but no one has any incentive to discuss it now. 

22 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

Like I said above. Totally nailed the atmosphere. Love the throwaway inn music which just dies when the doors fly open.

And the mood goes from jovial to cautious. Then the word Sedai comes out and goes just on knife edge. Such a subtle swap but you can just feel it in your gut. 

While I agree on the setting being absolutely fabulous, I thought the entrance of L&M was over dramatized. Lan walks in and just stands there like a statue (dramatic pause) "Who are you stranger" ? slowly drops the cowl...

Set and atmosphere A+

directing and characters C

Edited by templar7
my mistake on the accents

1 minute ago, DaddyFinn said:

Who do you mean? I didn't notice anything.

Ya I just re-watched it and edited my post as a result. Ya there is no difference. My ears weren't working I guess. I thought Perrin had an American accent on my first viewing. My ad on that one.

by the way, there's this comment from rafe

And then I think from there, it's important that people, you know, put their own artistic bent into it, like we have this unbelievable production design team led by Ondřej Nekvasil. And you know, I think it's important that people really take what's there and then find a way to put something of themselves into it. And I think that when you have that happening, it creates something more beautiful that we all get to work and play in and if we were all just trying to recreate everything word for word from the book it would actually end up feel a little more stale

and it explains why they changed the various props. agree with it or not, but at least there's a reason

37 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

by the way, there's this comment from rafe

and it explains why they changed the various props. agree with it or not, but at least there's a reason

Not.  I agree that he needs to put his artistic fingerprints on the show, but why change iconic items just to change them?  The ruby dagger left lots of room for artistic expression without changing the ruby's position.  In the end, not a huge deal for me, just why...?

2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Not.  I agree that he needs to put his artistic fingerprints on the show, but why change iconic items just to change them?  The ruby dagger left lots of room for artistic expression without changing the ruby's position.  In the end, not a huge deal for me, just why...?

I can agree, I'm just saying that i can understand why they didn't stick completely to the discussions

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

You ask why? In my opinion it is because they have no feeling with the books. Or to put it more bluntly, they don't care about the source material. Someone who did care about the books would get those 'little' things right.

I mean the cosmetic change reason is obvious to me. 

The hilt of a dagger is all the parts together so you have the pommel (where the dagger traditionally holds the ruby) the grip, and depending on the artwork a quillon and crossguard. 

Moving the ruby forward up into the top of the hilt up by the quillon allows for it to be shown in scenes better. 

Laying on its side in front of cam? visible. On its side facing away? visible? facing towards? visible. In Mat’s hand being used? visible. 

This placement makes it less of a generic dagger and more of a statement piece. You will always know it is the dagger from Shadar Logoth and not some generic slasher. 

Putting it on the pommel means that when he is gripping it and the dagger is in use you wont see the ruby without some jarring camera angles. 

And in that regard its not necessarily a lack of caring. This feels like a deliberate artistic choice. Not out of lack of caring - as if one didn't care… why even bother with the ruby. Maybe the freaking thing glows… or is made of mist… maybe it speaks out loud! You could do a million things if you don't care about the source. 

Its because they are giving it the best shot to be seen at all times it comes up.