DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most of the trailer turned me off; looks like a young adult series

Sirkassad

4 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Mind, we don't know "when" that attack takes place. They could be just a half-days ride out of town for all we know.

Exactly. I'd note that in the offending shot, all of the horses appear to be hobbled or tethered and there is some sort of brazier on the right side of the frame. This suggests to me that they are close to some sort of camp.

Also, if you look at the establishing shots, just prior to the offending "arrows" shot, you can see that the warders clothing is more rumpled and there is mud on Maksim's boots. 

Granted, the Aes Sedai look clean, but as I've pointed out before - they can just magic the dirt and wrinkles away. The should look clean IMO.

12 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

"Posed" like an MCU film where the hero lands with one knee on the floor.

Are we considering the MCU as YA? Because that seems a bit of a stretch. But okay, I can see where you might get that - a sort of "Age of Ultron" poster vibe.

21 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Mid-grip loses power.  Especially with how short the handles are, stability is not an issue.  I personally want as much distance between me and my opponent as possible in any conflict - not really a factor as Logain is bound and on his knees.

But Warders are weapons, even without thought he would optimize his grip.  If he is truly in a Warder rage in this scene, probably the only thought in his head is to swing these axes all the way through Logain and into the floor - must maximize power!

Power at the moment of strike is important but can be less important when one is transitioning from one position to another.   He's airborne at that moment so he's already lost the the biggest factor in force production outside of his forward momentum.  If the jump is part of the actual attack then I can see your point about power but if the jump is more of a rapidly closing the distance then I can the hands moving down to a more power producing position when he reestablishes contact with the ground and moves into the attack flow.

One of those things we'll just have to see, I guess. 

1 minute ago, TheDreadReader said:

Power at the moment of strike is important but can be less important when one is transitioning from one position to another.   He's airborne at that moment so he's already lost the the biggest factor in force production outside of his forward momentum.  If the jump is part of the actual attack then I can see your point about power but if the jump is more of a rapidly closing the distance then I can the hands moving down to a more power producing position when he reestablishes contact with the ground and moves into the attack flow.

One of those things we'll just have to see, I guess. 

During the jump he could loosen his grip on the axes, allowing the handle to slide through his hands until he retightens his grip at the pommel for maximum leverage/power.  But you risk the blades turning for a glancing blow, or losing grip on one or both axes entirely.

Grips on a weapon may need changed during a fight for various reasons, but each change introduces risk of anything from a less than optimal strike to complete failure.

I'm sure this shot ends up fine though. ?

1 minute ago, DojoToad said:

During the jump he could loosen his grip on the axes, allowing the handle to slide through his hands until he retightens his grip at the pommel for maximum leverage/power.  But you risk the blades turning for a glancing blow, or losing grip on one or both axes entirely.

Grips on a weapon may need changed during a fight for various reasons, but each change introduces risk of anything from a less than optimal strike to complete failure.

But he's trained as a Warder so I guess he has lots of practice?

• Community Administrator
4 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

But he's trained as a Warder so I guess he has lots of practice?

I mean, Anakin had lots of practice as well, but look how good a jump attack worked out for him. (Mind: This warder already had the high-ground, and Logain was prone.)

2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I'm sure this shot ends up fine though. ?

Loosening his grip enough for the high-friction grip to slide down while in mid-air while or just before he swings? As an engineer, this uh... shall we say... a bit of a reach. Not to mention completely ridiculous...

I think the simplest explanation is that they didn't think too hard about it when doing the shot.

1 hour ago, TheMountain said:

Loosening his grip enough for the high-friction grip to slide down while in mid-air while or just before he swings? As an engineer, this uh... shall we say... a bit of a reach. Not to mention completely ridiculous...

I think the simplest explanation is that they didn't think too hard about it when doing the shot.

It really depends on the motion and the biomechanics involved.  If you take a lessons in Staff fighting one of the first lessons they'll teach is how hold the staff parallel to the floor and just slide it back and forth between the hands.  That involves both tightening and releasing the grip.  Or, look at some sword forms some of which are mechanically impossible to flow into or out of without adjusting the grip.

I am in no means a martial arts expert.  I am more on the strength and conditioning/sport side of things.  But, there are any number of loaded and semi-loaded movements where if you don't loosen, change, and reestablish your grip you can break yourself rather quickly. 

Edited by TheDreadReader

49 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Yes - which is what I was trying to point out.  It is possible though far from ideal.  I've handled a lot of weapons both smooth and rough gripped.  Were I swinging those axes, my grip would have been at the pommels before lifting my arms.

well, those axes look ridiculous anyway. the blades have a very inefficient shape, they would be very prone to breaking. the handles are too short, you always want to have as much reach as possible, the only limitation is how much leverage you can afford before your weapon becomes too heavy to use properly.

those short handles really make no sense for a war axe.

I was about to answer @DaddyFinn about which scenes but yes: the arrows, the posing and the shot (as in the framing). It is clean but not in the sense that the AS are clean (:D) more that the framing is clean and ... eh ... childish? I guess it is hard to really really describe what strikes me as YA. Also the zooming in on the arrows is just odd. I would show that differently, for grown up audiences.

And the Red Ajah scene. It looks too 'look at us, we're a force, we may be good, we may be bad, but we are hella strong and we will kick your butts'. It's too on the nose in a way that it feels like it is being spelled out for a younger audience. No mature audience is going to be surprised by them, I don't think.

And on rewatching it ... jeepers. So many angles and shots are just very very verrry LOTR, what-what? That could be a good thing or .. I dont know. I will repeat: I will keep an open mind and not worry until I am thoroughly disappointed. And then I don't have to watch it. If the series makes me unhappy or angry, why would I?

I am excited about it though ? I am looking forward to being surprised.