DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Warder Bond Questions (Asha'man style)

Oddpositions

I was looking at the WoT wiki today, particularly the page on Bonding. Now, I plan on doing my own research to be sure, but the wiki states that the Asha'man version of the Bond differs from the AS version.

The initial version just links the two individuals and the AM version is effective over much greater distances than the AS version. Later on in the books, there appears to be a layer of Compulsion added in so the AS remain obedient to the AM they are bonded too.

There do not appear to be any other effects with the AM version (aka the benefits provided by the AS version of the Bond) beyond the Spirit link and obedience... although that last bit might be nullified between 2 men? It appears that men who can channel cant not be compelled through the Bond (at least with the AS version.)

This is how we're handling it at DM, yes? I would assume so, but I wanted to check with you guys before I move forward with the scene Mat and I are writing. I always assumed that the AM version functioned exactly the same as the AS version of the Bond, so I wasn't sure if anyone else here had the same assumption.

Also: are there any rules or other bits of info I should know concerning being bonded/holding a bond at DM?

and as a side note I'm not sure if they really know that the Asha to wife bonds were the same effects, they were relatively knew, and most Asha didn't bond and take them into danger so the added benefits probably haven't been noticed quite so literally.

I mean there is probably variations in it.

@Matalina I'm gonna sift through AMoL and see how it affected the AS that were bonded to AM. I know Logain had 2. Cant look too much at Pevara due to the double bond...

A traditional Warder bond makes more sense than the wifey bond, at least where AM/AM bonds are concerned. I just wasnt sure if there was a precedent set. Are there any other instances of 2 men bonding on DM or will Nox and Merd be the first?

Edited by Oddpositions

INTERVIEW: Jan 28th, 2003

LADY VOLDEMORT

Is it possible for an Aes Sedai to bond someone Asha'man style?

ROBERT JORDAN

Yes, if they learned the weaves. The Asha'man know a lot more about bonding than the Aes Sedai. Some guy figured out how to bond their wives, and then they started concentrating on other things they could do with the bond. The Aes Sedai never experimented, just passed on what they knew.

Got the above from Theoryland. That at least confirms the variation factor, Mat. Still gonna research it, but I think that's all I needed to know for our own scene.

Cool.  And it makes sense cause the Asha'man don't have years upon years of education to pass down, everything they learn is learned through experimenting, someone somewhere did something with the OP and learned a valuable lesson in it.  While the Aes Sedai have been passing down information year upon year losing things as time passes on because somebody didn't think it was useful.

Exactly. That's what I love about the BT. I'll compile a definitive post on the mechanics from an AM perspective. Found the following info relevant too for anyone curious about it...

INTERVIEW: Oct 24th, 2005

QUESTION

The NEXT guy asked how the bond the Asha'man use is different than the Warder bond of the Aes Sedai.

ROBERT JORDAN

He explained that the bond is different because it contains that "extra bit" about obedience. Aes Sedai bound to Asha'man are compelled to comply with the demands of the men. While Aes Sedai can do this to their Warders, it requires work each time. He mentioned that Logain thinks that extra bit can be easily removed, but that the Asha'man feel this is EXTREMELY necessary. A Warder would not kill his Aes Sedai when she turned her back, but the Asha'man have NO such safety with their bound Aes Sedai.

wouldn't you want taht extra safe guard too.. I mean these women have been hunting you down for centuries who's to say they won't slit your throat in your sleep lol.  I don't blame them one bit.  There is some quote a rabid dog or something springing to mind but I can't think of it lol.

Ggls yah, i dont always make the most sence, sort of scatterbrain, but the oldies around here seems to have developed a way to deciper it 

Well and i like to believe i progressed at least a bit since i first started out.

I made a separate post with all the information I've gathered and my own analysis on the type of Bonding the Asha'men perform. It's still a work in progress, but everything that's in there I've compiled to help us write the AM/AM bond. I'll finish writing the rest of it over the weekend.

Critiques are welcome...

Here it is...

Edited by Oddpositions

Things are going to get ugly if Jagen ever realizes she'd be Compelled to obey Aslan with whatever order he wanted. Ouch. XD (I'm assuming the AM/"wife" bond works the same way on a female channeler as on any woman).

But it could definitely make for some interesting RPs. XD

ON the AM-AM bond: Would you have to obey each other? Oh my... LOL.

Edited by Jagen Sedai

@Jagen Sedai, if you're curious on the specifics of Merdyn's (@Oddpositions) and Nox's(@Matalina) bond, which is serving as the standard for AM/AM bonds...

Wife Bond was preformed, but with tweaks that added in the Warder Bond benefits (Warder benefits for Nox and AS benefits for Merd.) Nox should be able to sense exactly where Merdyn is no matter how far away and vise versa, unless the bond is fuzzed out. Did not add the Compulsion element to it, so Merdyn would have to make an effort to influence Nox the way AS do Warders. The Death Rage aspect is ambiguous. I don't intend on having Merdyn die off, but if we ever cross that bridge, we have the option of going either way on that. Same-sex bond, so extreme emotions on one end runs the risk of leaking into the other.