Jump to content

DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Recommended Posts

Quote

For our first monthly #WoTWednesday, @rafejudkins will answer 5 fan questions about Rosamund Pike as Moiraine. Write your questions below, answers will come in 24 hours!

 

Questions need to be posted on Twitter, not here. Tag the @Wotwritersroom account so it’ll be seen. Let’s use this thread to brainstorm and speculate today, then discuss the actual Q&A tomorrow after it happens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A good Q&A session

 

I fully agree with his point about height and Hugh Jackman, there is far more to embodying a character than just height. I agree with him that Pike could be a good Moraine.  

 

Also interesting how they might take regional accents from their main castings. Cairhien to have RP, perhaps then the Two Rivers to have more of a west country accent?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should stick with the general accents that RJ gave them...

Two Rivers; Irish

Andor; British

Cairhien; French

Tear; Spanish

 

 

There is really no reason for Moiraine to even have a Cairhien accent.  You can't tell me she speaks in one throughout the story.  None of the chacters mention her accent.  They simply think she has a song-like voice.  If you ask me, Moiraine likely masks her accent, and doesn't use her natural one.  There's no reason why the Cairhien can't still speak with a french accent if Moiraine doesn't.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dagon Thyne said:

I think they should stick with the general accents that RJ gave them...

Two Rivers; Irish

 

Are you sure about that?

 

With their physical descriptions, geographical position, and reliance on Longbows I would have said Welsh before Irish?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Accent and culture are two different things dude.  RJ mixed several different cultures into all different regions.  

 

But RJ himssaid stated that the two rivers accent was irish.  

 

Andor is british

Cairhien is french

Tear is Spanish.  

Illian is Dutch (though it reads more like a heavy scottish accent on paper)

Seanchan is texan

Aiel is slavic

 

 

But that is all ACCENT.  He then mixed different cultures together. 

 

This is why the Seanchan speak in a texan accent but have a culture based on the Chinese Empire, and why people of Domani use chop sticks but are not asian in culture or in ethnicity.  And why the Shinarans wear samurai armor, but asn't japanese by ethnicity.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Dagon Thyne
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dagon Thyne said:

Accent and culture are two different things dude.  RJ mixed several different cultures into all different regions.  

 

But RJ himssaid stated that the two rivers accent was irish.  

 

Andor is british

Cairhien is french

Tear is Spanish.  

Illian is Dutch (though it reads more like a heavy scottish accent on paper)

Seanchan is texan

Aiel is Slavic

 

 

Fair enough if that is what RJ said

 

Always pictured them as Welsh due to all the similarities.

 

Cairhein French, Andor English, which would then put the Two Rivers as Wales geographically. Colouration the Welsh are northern European but usually with dark hair and eyes.

Importance of Longbow, the Welsh invented the longbow and this was then adopted by the English.

Sheepfarmers

 

Though just to add with some traditional English elements as well as the maypole is a Germanic tradition.

Edited by Jaglover
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jaglover said:

 

Fair enough if that is what RJ said

 

Always pictured them as Welsh due to all the similarities.

 

Cairhein French, Andor English, which would then put the Two Rivers as Wales geographically. Colouration the Welsh are northern European but usually with dark hair and eyes.

Importance of Longbow, the Welsh invented the longbow and this was then adopted by the English.

Sheepfarmers

The Two rivers use ofthe longbow is supposed to be some sort of link to Nottinghamshire I think.  Nottinghamshire and the sherwood forest areas in general were famous for skills with bows.  it's why robin good traditionally was the best archer in the world according to the later legends.  That's how I always saw it.  It makes sense.  All the two rivers men who travel with Perrin were skilled trackers and archers, and the use of quarterstaffs in the two rivers also fits, since it's a tradition weapon in Nottinghamshire.

Edited by Dagon Thyne
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dagon Thyne said:

The Two rivers use ofthe longbow is supposed to be some sort of link to Nottinghamshire I think.  Nottinghamshire and the sherwood forest areas in general were famous for skills with bows.  it's why robin good traditionally was the best archer in the world according to the later legends.  That's how I always saw it.  It makes sense.  All the two rivers men who travel with Perrin were skilled trackers and archers, and the use of quarterstaffs in the two rivers also fits, since it's a tradition weapon in Nottinghamshire.

Well one problem with the Robin Hood legend is that he somewhat predates the mass adoption of the longbow in England.

 

The longbow had been around before the middle ages, but, in its more modern form, was first encountered by Norman invaders of wales. Thereafter it was adopted by the English and at one point practice with it became compulsory.

 

In the books we are presented with the longbow as being unique to one area, that of the Two Rivers, which corresponds to its position with the Welsh at the late twelve century.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jaglover said:

Well one problem with the Robin Hood legend is that he somewhat predates the mass adoption of the longbow in England.

 

The longbow had been around before the middle ages, but, in its more modern form, was first encountered by Norman invaders of wales. Thereafter it was adopted by the English and at one point practice with it became compulsory.

 

In the books we are presented with the longbow as being unique to one area, that of the Two Rivers, which corresponds to its position with the Welsh at the late twelve century.

 

 

No longbows are common in WOT.  The thing that is unique is the thickness of the bow, requiring greater strength and special training to draw fully.  I believe the archers in the Band of the Red Hand also use longbows, but they are not as thick as the two rivers bows. 

 

If you recall, Mat made his bow out of a peice of woof that he bought from a merchant.   The man though it was a quarterstaff when he solld it to Mat, but Mat recognized it as the type of wood used to  make a two rivers longbow.    

 

This also also fits with Nottinghamshire.   Their bows were supposedly much thicker and stronger, and couild shoot farther than normal longbows.  

Edited by Dagon Thyne
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they don't give Moraine an accent, in the audiobooks, I don't believe she has one and she ran away from Cairhien to avoid becoming queen so she would supress it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dagon Thyne said:

No longbows are common in WOT.  The thing that is unique is the thickness of the bow, requiring greater strength and special training to draw fully.  I believe the archers in the Band of the Red Hand also use longbows, but they are not as thick as the two rivers bows. 

 

If you recall, Mat made his bow out of a peice of woof that he bought from a merchant.   The man though it was a quarterstaff when he solld it to Mat, but Mat recognized it as the type of wood used to  make a two rivers longbow.    

 

This also also fits with Nottinghamshire.   Their bows were supposedly much thicker and stronger, and couild shoot farther than normal longbows.  

Bows are common in WOT not longbows. The best common other bow mentioned is recurve bows used by either cavalry or the Aiel.

 

The distinctive feature of the longbow is indeed its size. A length of six feet or so and very thick. Aside from its role in the Robin Hood myth I am not aware that Nottinghamshire has any special affinity with the longbow, which was common throughout England once adopted.

Edited by Jaglover
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dagon Thyne said:

Do we know what next month's topic will be?  They will likely announce a few castings bfore then.  

 

We don't yet. My guess is most of the cast has been already chosen so it would be logical to have a big casting reveal for august #WotWednesday . Or they might just publish the cast irrelevant of the #wotwednesday , since by that time they probably have even more interesting stuff to announce. 

 

But who knows? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2019 at 7:08 AM, Dagon Thyne said:

Accent and culture are two different things dude.  RJ mixed several different cultures into all different regions.  

 

But RJ himssaid stated that the two rivers accent was irish.  

 

Andor is british

Cairhien is french

Tear is Spanish.  

Illian is Dutch (though it reads more like a heavy scottish accent on paper)

Seanchan is texan

Aiel is slavic

 

 

But that is all ACCENT.  He then mixed different cultures together. 

 

This is why the Seanchan speak in a texan accent but have a culture based on the Chinese Empire, and why people of Domani use chop sticks but are not asian in culture or in ethnicity.  And why the Shinarans wear samurai armor, but asn't japanese by ethnicity.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I alway hear Illian accent more like pirates (thanks to Domon and all his “do be”s and so forth).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 12:30 PM, Polskija said:

 

We don't yet. My guess is most of the cast has been already chosen so it would be logical to have a big casting reveal for august #WotWednesday . Or they might just publish the cast irrelevant of the #wotwednesday , since by that time they probably have even more interesting stuff to announce. 

 

But who knows? 

 

Given they are set to start filming in Sept or Oct (forget), I'm expecting to start being bombarded with casting news VERY SOON NOW! Or at least I certainly hope so. It's like announcing Pike was a tease, and now they're keeping the others secret.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 8:59 PM, DragonFairy said:

 

Given they are set to start filming in Sept or Oct (forget), I'm expecting to start being bombarded with casting news VERY SOON NOW! Or at least I certainly hope so. It's like announcing Pike was a tease, and now they're keeping the others 

 

Likely in two weeks at #wotwednesday . There was already a rumour of some bald actor who actually looked like irl myrdraal, but can't remember his name. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 3:15 PM, DemandredFO said:

as long as it's not Jason Alexander or I'll be seeing seinfeld.

 LMAO!!

On 7/25/2019 at 8:29 AM, Polskija said:

 

Likely in two weeks at #wotwednesday . There was already a rumour of some bald actor who actually looked like irl myrdraal, but can't remember his name. 

The last time he just asked for people to submit questions about Rosamund Pike. If he makes it that narrow, it won't leave much room for other news. I know production companies like to keep as much under wraps as possible, but I think it's time for Amazon to throw us a couple more bones!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to ask Rafe, So what if Rand is in love with three women and they all love him? It's NOT polygamy because he doesn't marry them. Supposedly he's all for polyamorous relationships, so leave them be. And if they're so worried about people being offended by polygamy, does that mean they will do away with it among the Aiel?

 

And the idea that Jordan hinted at Elayne and Aviendha being romantically involved is absolutely ABSURD. They become first sisters, which would make that akin to incest! Now that's offensive!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 8:23 PM, DragonFairy said:

 LMAO!!

The last time he just asked for people to submit questions about Rosamund Pike. If he makes it that narrow, it won't leave much room for other news. I know production companies like to keep as much under wraps as possible, but I think it's time for Amazon to throw us a couple more bones!

 

I suppose the sudden changes to #wotwednesday were because they realized it's too ambitious. They simply wouldn't have enough interesting things to announce every wednesday so they backed on it. Also, they might have reconsidered if it's good for the building of hype to have news every week. 

 

Just a speculation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2019 at 3:32 AM, Jaglover said:

A good Q&A session

 

I fully agree with his point about height and Hugh Jackman, there is far more to embodying a character than just height. I agree with him that Pike could be a good Moiraine.

I actually don't agree with that point. So far as Wolverine, his height has been raised as a sore point in the comics many times. Not something he is dominated by, but often a significant part of his character.

 

Too with Moiraine, it says something about her being so coolly confident despite being fun sized .

 

Being short sucks for lots of reasons there is no need to explain because everyone innately understands.

 

Even if the character says and does the same things it won't quite be the same character because all interactions will be different due to that significant change.

 

Now that doesnt mean she must be bad as Moist Rain,  she is an excellent actress and very likely could do a great job, but it is to say what we get from her will necessarily be different from the books because things which are different are not the same.

 

And yes I am OK with that, frankly my first choice for Moist Rain would have been Rosie O'Donnel. A very different choice from the books, but one I think would have been just right for screen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 11:52 AM, Dagon Thyne said:

Illian is supposed to be dutch according to RJ, but it sounds more like a very deep scottish accent.

 

It's definitely not any form of Scottish accent. It sounds like an English regional dialect, West Country; I'd say Devon based on the speech pattern.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...