DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thank-you, Joyce...

So it's 1991. I'm all of 18 (17 at the time ?) and had just met and fallen head-over-heels for a wonderful lady named Joyce...who happened to be with someone else. Sigh. My pathetic efforts to steal her away dragged on for a year. No success. What did I get from our relationship, though? She lent me a copy of "The Eye of the World." While reading it I dropped the book, just grabbing the cover and? Tore it almost all the way through. So I went to Waldenbooks (yes, kids. There were these places that SOLD BOOKS in malls!! Really. Grampy isn't lying!) and replaced that one and saw that "The Great Hunt" and "The Dragon Reborn" were available. From there I was hooked for life. I bought hard-cover editions as they came out for the next 20+ years. This is the only author/series/story that has led me to pony-up that kind of money to offset waiting another year for the paperback option. Worth every penny. I proudly display the WoT collection on my bookshelf - placed in honor!

So...thank-you Joyce. We never lasted but a never-ending love affair for Mr. Rigney's work was born. I have read and reread these books repeatedly. Again, something I have never done for any other author. I just finished the entire collection from front to back in Feb. Made me think a few new ideas.

About the name I chose. "Sheep swallop! Sheep swallop and bloody buttered onions!" Ring a bell?

About my avatar - The size limit here is wicked small. All over the rest of the internet I go by "Blackeyedbeaver." (Long story.) So I simply added the avatar I used in other places.

OK. Off to post some thoughts!

Edited by Sheep Swallop

I'm liking you *grins*

Welcome to DM, Sheepie! (We give people nicknames on their nicknames here. It's a thing. Trust me - I'm an Aes Sedai.)

So tell me, do you have any favorite characters (other than Mat) or groups of people?

Thanks for the approbation, Elgee. 

When I was younger (as the books were being issued) I was very confused as to Mat's (and Perrin's) "place" in the grand scheme. It wasn't till "The Dragon Reborn" either began to come into their own. (IMHO.) 

Favorite characters? 

L - A - N !!

Perhaps it is because (as an adult who has gone though too much at times) I am also a "rock" that simply ignores storms and drama. Not much gives me a "rise" anymore as I go through life. Been there. Seen it. Weather isn't climate - you know?

I'm also pretty built and keep a raging violence under complete control 24/7. I guess Lan just appealed to my inner rage that I could never allow an "out" sans being arrested or imprisoned. What's odd? I actually had a home invasion about 6 years ago. When the kid came up from my basement he had broken into....I had the opportunity to ...literally? Kill him. He opened the door, I grabbed him immediately by the throat and? He was as limp as a wet noodle. It would have been like stomping on a puppy.

I found out later he was high on crushed Xanex. (Sp?) But instantly I knew there would have been no "honor" in me beating him senseless for violating my (and my disabled wife's) home. I did THROW him out the back door (he rolled in the driveway) and called 911. As and addendum? Every cop who came here that day asked me the same question: "Dude. Why isn't he dead on the floor?" I actually had one say: "Had you shot him? I would have reloaded your gun and never taken you in for forensics." 

BTW? I live in NY. Go figure.

I do have a collection of swords though. Perhaps the next time? "Heron Wades in the Bushes?" 

Edited by Sheep Swallop

You sound like great Warder material ... you should head on over to the White Tower & Warders Social Group *grins*

On a serious note, I admire your restraint. I live in the Cape Town area of South Africa, and for years worked in Cape Town itself. I was mugged 5 times during those years, though I should be more correct and say that they ATTEMPTED to mug me 5 times. Those were the times I wasn't openly carrying a knife. They still didn't succeed, except for the last lot, they all regretted their attempt. The last time it was 4 or 5 guys carrying steel pipes - one hit me on the arm (it's permanently damaged) but luckily it was right in the main street at a traffic light, and an insanely brave guy stopped his car and jumped out. I think he saved my life. I wouldn't have been able to take them all on. I've survived worse, though, so my "fight" instinct far outweighs my "flight" instinct. I wouldn't have had your restraint. Tai'shar Malkier. *Curtsies*

OK. Note to self: Never visit Cape Town. Check.

Second note to self: Never spar with Elgee. ?

My "self restraint" stemmed more from the fact that you could have blindfolded the kid with dental-floss and his lack of muscle control. I'll tell you this, Elgee - after he was arrested and I examined my basement? I found where the little sh*t took a leak down there. Now, as a childless adult, I have never cleaned anyone's urine before. If I had to do it over again? I'd knock the little ba$tard's teeth in on principle!! Or perhaps "out." That way I could string them together and hang them on my back door as a warning to other drugged-out 23 year old punkasses. 

(I really need to get this rage thing under control, lol!)

• 1 month later...

Hello Sheep Swallop and welcome to Dragonmount! I made you a siggy as a welcome gift but it's up to you if you decide to use it or not.

You are going to love it here and I can't wait to see you in the warder yard

I used this image to make your siggy: http://a-little-country-charm.tumblr.com/post/108152709098

And this font https://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/28_Days_Later.font

SheepSwallop.jpg