DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What ever will I read now?!

Urielle

Fondest hello to fellow fans! I'm writing not having recently read the series, but having never been able to get the series out of my mind since reading it.  I first picked up WoT as a teenager and remember waiting anxiously for each new release to be published (including waiting many years into adulthood for it to finally be finished).  I then read the series again a few years ago back-to-back.  It's been three years or so since I put the series down and I compare every other book I read in the genre to WoT.  I fear I'll never again be as enveloped in a world like that which Jordan created.  I often walk to a close by fantasy book store and ask, "what would you recommend with an intricate magic system, strong female or nonbinary protagonists, thoughtfully developed societies and cultures, and immense intrigue."  The recommendations I get are generous, and sometimes fun to read, but often come up short. 

I just read this statistical analysis of the series which just reaffirmed by love for it.  This is not to undermine the significant contributions made in the genre to represent female or nonbinary characters.  I just feel that the stories often don't hook me.

I just joined Dragonmount today after all these years with the hopes that you all relate to my struggle :).  Apologies if this topic is already in this forum and I can't find it.

Really glad to be here, and sending you all the warmest of wishes,

Urielle

11 minutes ago, jjr007 said:

After I finished this series, I looked into Brandon Sanderson's books, and I am glad that I did.  Try the Mist series, or Elantris to start.  I have loved everything I have read by him so far.

I'm currently on The Well of Ascension in the Mistborn series!  I do like it a lot, but I'm feeling that the female characterization is a bit over stereotyped or simplified.

14 hours ago, Urielle said:

Fondest hello to fellow fans! I'm writing not having recently read the series, but having never been able to get the series out of my mind since reading it.  I first picked up WoT as a teenager and remember waiting anxiously for each new release to be published (including waiting many years into adulthood for it to finally be finished).  I then read the series again a few years ago back-to-back.  It's been three years or so since I put the series down and I compare every other book I read in the genre to WoT.  I fear I'll never again be as enveloped in a world like that which Jordan created.  I often walk to a close by fantasy book store and ask, "what would you recommend with an intricate magic system, strong female or nonbinary protagonists, thoughtfully developed societies and cultures, and immense intrigue."  The recommendations I get are generous, and sometimes fun to read, but often come up short. 

I just read this statistical analysis of the series which just reaffirmed by love for it.  This is not to undermine the significant contributions made in the genre to represent female or nonbinary characters.  I just feel that the stories often don't hook me.

I just joined Dragonmount today after all these years with the hopes that you all relate to my struggle :).  Apologies if this topic is already in this forum and I can't find it.

Really glad to be here, and sending you all the warmest of wishes,

Urielle

Thank you for sharing your story with us! Many of us (most of us?) share your feelings on the matter ... which is probably why we're here :)

Do you have any favourite characters / nations / groups in the Books?

Oh, I Just started a fantastic series. There are three books so far. It's by Sabaa Tahir. This is the first one that has gotten me excited to read since I discovered the WoT in 2010.

1. An Ember in the Ashes

2. A Torch Against the Night.

3. A Reaper at the Gates

https://www.sabaatahir.com/

On 9/21/2018 at 10:02 PM, Urielle said:

strong female or nonbinary protagonists

This makes me think immediately of the Soul Rider series.  If "nonbinary protagonists" is a factor I'd definitely recommend it.

I was a bit young when I read it so I can't really give an intellectual, worldly review of it but I enjoyed it.  The magic system was fairly unique and it's got gender fluidity in spades.  I think it would be easy to read certain excerpts and assume it's sexist in various ways but I seem to recall the takeaway being more like "hypersexualized nymph is just as valid an orientation as any other permutation", and it goes over quite a few of the permutations.

(non-referer link, don't buy here, but it says "free with audible trial" so maybe you'll be interested - https://www.amazon.ca/Spirits-Flux-Anchor-Soul-Rider/dp/B071Z5H6HR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537887015&sr=8-1&keywords=flux+and+anchor  )

Probably your best bet is to find a copy in a library.

If anybody else is familiar with the series I'd appreciate hearing their thoughts on it too.