DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question about the effects of gentling

MrMatrim

This is something that has been rolling around in my brain for a bit.

It's been well-documented in the series that gentling/stilling/severing essentially leaves the victim with a deep depression because they can never experience the One Power again, an uber-withdrawl, if you will.  I always wondered if that would be the case if a man was gentled before they were even aware what they were doing, and never realized that they were channeling at all.

Obviously the chances of that happening would be slim, as it would require a very observant Aes Sedai who was in the right place at the right moment, but do you think such a person would be able to live a normal life in ignorance?

If you mean before the person touches the Source for the first time, I would think there would be nothing to sever at all.

If you mean something like Rand getting gentled shortly before reaching Fal Dara, I think he could live, but with a sense of having lost something he didn't even know he had.

Interestingly, the Ogier experience something similar with the Longing. Perhaps both are spiritual wounds, in which case it doesn't matter how long they have been channeling.

Edited by solarz

Who knows?

Setalle Anan shows that it certainly is possible to start a new life after severing. Leane seems to believe that finding a new purpose goes a long way to help one cope.

Perhaps the effects of severing won't be as severe for those who just started channeling, but we really have no way of knowing for sure. Some people can survive amputation, others die from blood loss and shock. If severing inflicts a spiritual wound, as I suspect, then it depends on the person's spiritual fortitude.

My guess is most would still lose the will to live, they might not understand the emptiness but it would suddenly be there.  Just like if you burnt yourself out as you just started channeling I would think even though you just started channeling you would still have this great sense of loss.

I suppose it's very possible the poor man would sink into depression without ever knowing why, or what this feeling of loss is.  I was hoping catching it at the very beginning might bypass it 

AWe've seen it's possible but you have to make a real effort at it. Think about Siuan, Leanne, and Logain. All survived being stilled/gentled for a good while before being Healed.

A bit off topic but I wonder if any men ever actually sought out Gentling. We know the Aiel sent their male Channelers to the Blight to die fighting the Shadow, but I mean when your whole life you've been taught to fear male Channelers you'd think there'd be at least some cases of men who realize they can seeking out AS assistance despite knowing the cost.

I know it was made up to get support for the Rebels, but I think it would be crazy interesting to read a story about a male Channeler actually seeking out Red Ajah for help, and them slowly twisting him into declaring himself as a False Dragon before taking him down.

• 8 months later...

Emarin is the answer to your question. His House sort Aes Sedai assistance with a family member, remember? I do not think the Red Ajah would be good with male channelers, and Thom's account of his nephew is proof of that harsh treatment. Also, the reaction from the Red Ajah from hearing that rumour suggests that they did in fact accuse some of the men they gentled of being a False Dragon. Perhaps that is why Thom despised the Aes Sedai so much?? Because the Red Ajah did that to his nephew, so they did not have to take him back to the Tower like they were supposed to? 

Edited by wotfan4472