DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[GotAK] Great Mythical Beasts

Gentled Ben

3 hours ago, Gentled Ben said:

Is the chupacabra cross-cultural? I know that Bigfoot is (Sasquatch, Yeti).

I've never heard of a chupacabra - is it an American thing?

Bigfoot / Yeti seems to be localised to the North American and Himalayan areas respectively, from what I recall?

19 hours ago, Gentled Ben said:

Why did all these different cultures all imagine dragons? What was the basis for this? At some point, have people actually seen real dragons, or was there really an Atlantis, and did it have a dragon as its symbol or god or something? Is it just a natural response of the human psyche to imagine a giant serpent?

I have very often wondered about this exact same thing. I've not read any hypothesis that makes logical sense to me.

That's funny, Elgee.

Chupacabras are cryptozoological creatures that started in Puerto Rico and have since been "seen" in lots of places in North America, primarily the Southern US and Mexico.

I'm not sure they've reached the status of mythical, but then I'm not sure what mythical means when it comes to animals. Why is a dragon mythical but a T-Rex not? <shrug>

I've also read (I forget where) that around 200 lakes or bodies of water around the world supposedly contain some sort of cryptozoological creature. Whatever is in Loch Ness is not the only one of its kind--just the most well-known. That suggests to me that monsters like Nessie and dragons are a byproduct of human thinking. They could be a way of filling in a blank that is difficult to be filled. "What killed my cow? What carried off my baby brother? What's that sound out there in the dark?"

4 hours ago, Elgee said:

I have very often wondered about this exact same thing. I've not read any hypothesis that makes logical sense to me.

It's my personal thought that it is evidence for the existence of Atlantis, that the idea of a dragon came from Atlantis. That, or the Biblical dragon, Lucifer, has visited and revealed himself a time or two to ancient peoples in various locales. 

2 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

That's funny, Elgee.

Chupacabras are cryptozoological creatures that started in Puerto Rico and have since been "seen" in lots of places in North America, primarily the Southern US and Mexico.

I'm not sure they've reached the status of mythical, but then I'm not sure what mythical means when it comes to animals. Why is a dragon mythical but a T-Rex not? <shrug>

I've also read (I forget where) that around 200 lakes or bodies of water around the world supposedly contain some sort of cryptozoological creature. Whatever is in Loch Ness is not the only one of its kind--just the most well-known. That suggests to me that monsters like Nessie and dragons are a byproduct of human thinking. They could be a way of filling in a blank that is difficult to be filled. "What killed my cow? What carried off my baby brother? What's that sound out there in the dark?"

But why would they think of the same thing? Why would they think of dragons or sea serpents that live in a lake?

4 hours ago, Elgee said:

Bigfoot / Yeti seems to be localised to the North American and Himalayan areas respectively, from what I recall?

Yes to both.

12 hours ago, Elgee said:

Chupacabra: Mexico and South America.

Bigfoot/Sasquatch: North America particularly in Washington and B.C.

Oh, definitely! It looks wolf-like, but it's not a wolf or a dog. I don't know what that is, and apparently, they don't either. I wonder if this is how theses legends get started? A shepherd in the Carpathians kills some sort of weird thing that was eating his sheep, and within a generation, you have tales of werewolves running rampant in Romania or something.

• Elgee locked this topic