DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[GotAK] Dogs

Ryrin

9 hours ago, Daruya said:

I read that book, too, Ryrin! It was my sister's book but I read it many times.

Wow!!  I didn't know anyone who read it. I had it in paperback and it still stuck in my mind all these years later.

Dog Language. If you are anything like me, you talk to your dogs, a lot. Have you thought about how a dog knows you love him/her?

1. Talking to dogs, even reading to dogs has been shown to calm them and brings shy one's out of their shells. Studies using MRI technology shows dogs understand human language better than previously thought.

2. Share soft eye contact.

3. When a dog loves someone, they often raise their eyebrows, so greeting your dog in this way with a smile, shows your dog that you love him/her.

4. A dog leans on his/her person and that shows affection and trust.

5. Walking together and sleeping together. We sleep with our dogs. Even a shared nap on the couch builds affection and trust.

How do you communicate with your dogs and how does your dog communicate to you?

a lot of those ways. also maple is pretty obvious about what she wants. she'll come up and poke my leg with her nose when she wants attention, she'll use a paw to forcible direct your hand to where she wants rubbed etc. i've also noticed a difference in her barks. like there's one specific type that she uses when she's actively barking at something, like a squirrel or other animal or stranger. so i know when something's really there

• Community Administrator

It's pretty easy to read my doggies' body language.  They both have quirks that let me know what it is they need. 

My girl, Friday, will bob her head up and down when she wants to go to the bathroom outside.  My boy, Mr. Smith, will lick the inside of his leg if he's agitated.  I can tell what they need 90% of the time.  Plus, they're predictable.

• Club Leader

My dog started out in the bathroom, like all puppies we get. Keeps the mess to a minimum and stuff. Well, three years later, he was still in the bathroom all the time, by his choice. After my other dog passed (which might be his reason not to come out of the bathroom. Blackjack was a jealous type of dog) I started leaving the bathroom door open  and letting him come into my bedroom if he wanted. He still wants to be in the bathroom when I go in, which is good quality time for us. lol. I talk to him a lot in there, because I always have, I guess. He barks if he needs to go potty, and rolls over on his back in the bathroom when I'm in there - clearly a sign of trust. That's really the only communication I've noticed from him, other than that he gets nervous if the bathroom door is closed and he can't get in there. He does eat in there, so that may be a factor. I'm afraid if he wasn't shut in alone, his nerves over his food might cause him to growl at one of the cats - like they would touch dog food. Puh-lease!

Edited by LilyElizabeth

My chi knows it’s her job to tell me when daddy is home. She takes it seriously.

Daisey is the dominant one. Very smart and she understands lots of words. She is jealous because my Chi sleeps with me. Daisey doesn’t because she wants to be let out every night at 3am to do a perimeter check. She was being mean to my Chi - Holly. I went and got a spray bottle. Never had to use it. I started praising Daisey for how “nice” she was being to Holly. She understands “nice” and looked at me like I was crazy because she wasn’t being nice to Holly. I just loaded on the attention about how nice she was being to Holly and asked her if she was giving Holly kisses. That was enough. I never had to use the spray bottle. Lol.

• Elgee locked this topic