DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why Moirraine? (Spoilers, be warned!)

Maedelin

True. Its the whole vibe of the series: separately, men and women can do great things. But when they work together, they can seal up Satan himself. (I DOUBLE POSTED CUASE MY TABLET IS SLOW, HOW DO I DELETE THIS??)

Edited by Forshookt

On 1/31/2018 at 9:33 AM, Maedelin said:

I have to admit to some really serious confusion here.

Don't get me wrong, I love Moirraine.  I loved her Gandalf-esque way of leaving the party.  I love her calm solemnity, and her caring nature.  I'm actually really upset that she did not get to see Rand at the end of the book; why couldn't her AND Cadsuane have seen Rand canter off at the end?  Between her and the soon-to-be Amrylin, I think Moirraine deserved it more.  She also deserves the Stole and Seat more too, but that's another gripe.

But really, why, WHY was she needed in the cave confronting the Dark One?  Nyaneave makes perfect sense; Immensely strong, helped cleanse Saidin, but why Moirraine who is far weaker than she was before?  Nearly anyone else could or should have gone in, particularly someone more powerful to make using the angreal even more potent.

I really just don't get it.  I'd love to hear everyone else's opinion on this too!

While Nynaeve has the power, Moiraine has the experience and knowledge.  Think of her as the .1 that tips the 50.0 over to victory.

It really comes down to he knew those two trusted him enough to let him do what needed to be done without taking charge.  Cas and Egwene especially could never of given up control that much to basicly have their lives at his mercy if he messed up.  The first sign of trouble or doubt they would of been trying to take charge and he couldn't have that.  The two he picked if you notice are the two who don't meet what a Aes Sedai should be image.  

On 3/22/2018 at 11:24 AM, Sabio said:

It really comes down to he knew those two trusted him enough to let him do what needed to be done without taking charge.  Cas and Egwene especially could never of given up control that much to basicly have their lives at his mercy if he messed up.  The first sign of trouble or doubt they would of been trying to take charge and he couldn't have that.  The two he picked if you notice are the two who don't meet what a Aes Sedai should be image.  

It's interesting that you say that, because to most readers, Moiraine would be the embodiment of what an Aes Sedai should be.

Moiraine IS the embodiment of what an Aes Sedai should be. So is Nynaeve, and Egwene.

All the characters who aren't Aes Sedai just have prejudices working against them; they won't accept that Aes Sedai aren't from one mold; even though the White Tower very much makes them that way as much as possible, they still have their own personalities.

So saying they "don't meet what a Aes Sedai should be image" just means that they don't match that character's assumptions and prejudices of Aes Sedai.

Moiraine and Nyn, they do what needs to be done, regardless if the tower will agree or not.  Moiraine did a lot of things that she knew if the tower found out about she would get in trouble.  But like Nyn she didn't care.

Edited by Sabio

On 3/23/2018 at 7:50 PM, Sabio said:

Moiraine and Nyn, do what need to be done, regardless if the tower will agree or not.  Moiraine did a lot of things that she knew if the tower found out about she would get in trouble.  But like Nyn she didn't care.

I'm pretty sure every famous Aes Sedai of legend would fit that mold.

Like Egwene once remarked about the novices, they needed to first learn to obey the rules of the White Tower before they can learn which rules they can disobey. That actually holds true for most things in life.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:10 PM, Maedelin said:

Rand trusted Alivia, who was basically ignored in the entire last book except at the end where she "helps Rand die".  The whole thing didn't make sense.  Alivia's great job was to...acquire some clothes, money, and a horse.  If she had gone in with Rand, would that greater power have helped?  Wouldn't that make more sense?

I love Moirraine.  I just don't understand the thought process behind who went in with Rand.  Hell, even Aviendha could have.

By the way, how did Alivia really help rand die? Come oon, it cant just mean replacing some clothes and putting some coin in a purse... one expects more complex way after all the complexity and details of the books.

But that's why I liked it, you were expecting something huge and it turned out to be so simple.  She gave him what he needed to slip away and be forgotten.  It shows it didn't need to be some complex thing, but just someone he could trust not to ask questions on why he wanted this stuff.

6 hours ago, Sabio said:

But that's why I liked it, you were expecting something huge and it turned out to be so simple.  She gave him what he needed to slip away and be forgotten.  It shows it didn't need to be some complex thing, but just someone he could trust not to ask questions on why he wanted this stuff.

So,how did he,manage to switch his body?

9 hours ago, Sururi said:

By the way, how did Alivia really help rand die? Come oon, it cant just mean replacing some clothes and putting some coin in a purse... one expects more complex way after all the complexity and details of the books.

I think I remember BS saying something along the lines of not what everything Min said was really that important.  Maybe she just badly glimpsed what Alvia's role was and badly interpreted.

2 hours ago, Sururi said:

So,how did he,manage to switch his body?

We will never know how the switch happened or how he considered it.

As Agreddon said, not all of her viewings were going to be really important.  Like her seeing people would marry, she just saw something and mentioned it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2018 at 10:31 PM, agreddon said:

I think I remember BS saying something along the lines of not what everything Min said was really that important.  Maybe she just badly glimpsed what Alvia's role was and badly interpreted.

Exactly what I think here. The whole vision had more to do with Min's distrust of her and Rand's initial trust. I think it shows the weakness of blindly trusting visions and prophecy to guide you through the last battle.

Edited by Stevros