DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Project - Leather bound books

Animus.Tesseract

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

And it is my pleasure to present Book number 1 with the cover design!

2017_02_13_17_15_50.jpg

2017_02_13_17_16_05.jpg

It took me a while to build confidence to cut into the leather, but finally got myself to do it.

2017_02_13_17_07_33.jpg

2017_02_13_17_10_55.jpg

The rest of the inlays are ready and prepared. Now I just need to find the time to sand the rest of the book edges and complete the process.

2017_02_13_15_32_08.jpg

Decided to stay with the brass optic. The brass will age with time anyway.

As for the round plates, these are for 3 role playing books. I played a lot of World of Darkness when I was younger. I just recently looked into it again and found out that they released a 20th-anniversary edition of the three main systems Vampire, Werewolf and Mage. I have given away all of my books years ago and kind of missed them. So this was a good chance to make an homage to my younger self and make them as "collector's items".  

File_Feb_18_9_16_58_PM.jpg

As for the project, I made a large step today. 9 books still need to be sanded and glued. The finish line is near!

It is my deepest pleasure to declare the project "The Wheel of Time - Black Tower Edition" hereby finished.

2017_02_19_15_59_04.jpg

2017_02_19_16_28_042.jpg

2017_02_19_16_28_102.jpg

I think within my humble possibilities they turned out quite right. Was an interesting journey and a lot has been learned.

Little update for the process: I was not too happy how the brass turned out in contrast to the other gilding. I made a last minute adjustment and guilded the cover tiles. Everything looks much more balanced now.

It is my deepest pleasure to declare the project "The Wheel of Time - Black Tower Edition" hereby finished.

2017_02_19_15_59_04.jpg

2017_02_19_16_28_042.jpg

2017_02_19_16_28_102.jpg

I think within my humble possibilities they turned out quite right. Was an interesting journey and a lot has been learned.

Little update for the process: I was not too happy how the brass turned out in contrast to the other gilding. I made a last minute adjustment and guilded the cover tiles. Everything looks much more balanced now.

My goodness. These are gorgeous! My highest respect for your skill and patience. I recently rebound my copies of the Mistborn trilogy, and while they turned out fairly satisfactory, they didn't reach nearly this level. 

My consolation prize is that I got to get them signed at Boskone this weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Animus.Tesseract, could you design a cover like this: https://s-media-cach...c4b9e5430b9.jpg

or this: http://www.ikkadukka...95/e/m/emma.jpg

If you mean by designing, conceptualizing it in Photoshop: By all means yes. If you would need it as a Vector graphic, that would be a bit trickier but also doable.

To actually execute it in leather? Unfortunately not. I am missing critical equipment to do such a large embossing. Hence I went with the engraved plates on the pieces above.

What do you have in mind? Feel free to shoot me a PM, if you have a project. Happy to help where I can.

Archived