DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Robert Jordan: In Memoriam Oct 17, 1948 - September 16, 2007

Hard to believe that it's been 9 years since Robert Jordan passed away. Just came across this posting this morning.

https://plus.google.com/103674399065634804648/posts/E1JSooSay3e

James.jpeg

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/blog/4/entry-381-sometimes-even-when-youve-fought-your-best/

It is with great sadness that I tell you that the Dragon is gone. RJ left us today at 2:45 PM. He fought a valiant fight against this most horrid disease. In the end, he left peacefully and in no pain. In the years he had fought this, he taught me much about living and about facing death. He never waivered in his faith, nor questioned our God's timing. I could not possibly be more proud of anyone. I am eternally grateful for the time that I had with him on this earth and look forward to our reunion, though as I told him this afternoon, not yet. I love you bubba. 

Our beloved Harriet was at his side through the entire fight and to the end. The last words from his mouth were to tell her that he loved her. 

Thank each and everyone of you for your prayers and support through this ordeal. He knew you were there. Harriet reminded him today that she was very proud of the many lives he had touched through his work. We've all felt the love that you've been sending my brother/cousin. Please keep it coming as our Harriet could use the support.

Jason will be posting funeral arrangements. 

My sincerest thanks.

Peace and Light be with each of you,

Wilson
Brother/Cousin
4th of 3

Hard to believe that it's been 9 years since Robert Jordan passed away.

We (our book club) still remember very clearly the day RJ died as if it were yesterday. It's unhealthy, but he is our favourite (epic) fantasy author.

Two things.

1. I don't want to be a kill-joy, but it really sad to see that his popularity in Hungary (and in Europe generally, and judging by the Amazon ranking in the USA) is waned to the point that he will not be back in top form ever. (A tv series can change everything, of course) A cheap Hungarian publisher, terrible "translations" by many "translators", plus high price. There are a few copies left in online bookstores, but noone can go into a bookstore in Hungary to buy his books these days... His name (and his series) is unknown now... Believe it or not, there is only one bookstore in Budapest, which is specialized in foreign languages (yes, one bookstore; people don't read books even in Hungarian, and how many of them actually speak a foreign language...), and there is zero copy of his book in the shelves.

2. It is really interesting to see that nobody cares about the new (now old) generation (Abercrombie, Lynch, Rothfuss, Brett, sanderson, and others) - they were hyped up to the sky - these days except their fandom. Everybody and their dogs (especially paid bloggers/posters) disparaged RJ left and right, but time is the greatest filter. Nobody can reach RJ's stunning heights.

9 years later, I still remember the sadness I felt when learning that Robert Jordan was no longer on this Earth. Jordan's books and the world, the characters, and the cultures he created have remained a very significant part of my library while still influencing some of my own thoughts and actions on a weekly basis. I still believe that the 3 WoT books written by Sanderson are very good books. Therefore, those 14 books of the WoT series still to this day, are the only novels I have EVER re-read more than 4 times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I feel the loss still as well when his anniversary comes around. I do not think it is unhealthy at all. Our lives changed when we read these books. That makes it important. My sister has been gone for 11 years, and I still have those moments that I miss her. Her anniversary was yesterday, so I get it. It is honouring someone's life and memory, wether we knew them personally or not. The connections however they are made are important to remember when they are no longer here.

I do not think it is unhealthy at all. Our lives changed when we read these books. That makes it important. My sister has been gone for 11 years, and I still have those moments that I miss her. Her anniversary was yesterday, so I get it. It is honouring someone's life and memory, wether we knew them personally or not.

I feel sorry for your loss.

When I say the word, unhealthy, I mean that maybe we are too connected to him, to WoT. (You know, we pretend that we know writers, actors, singers, they are our "friends" but, in real life, we don't know anything about them.) Reading his books over and over, searching through his interviews etc. As we say, we really see our heroes as real persons, and we cannot switch off WoT from our life. You could say that we are fan(atic)s, but I truly don't know where is the line which cannot be overstepped.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the span of time these books covered, the WoT was a large part of a lot of our lives.

For 15 years I was a WoT reader, that is 1/3rd of my life tied up into a series. I have a 6 year old grandson that I tell on a regular basis I cannot wait until he is old enough to start reading WoT.

It's around 10 in the morning here in the Netherlands, on a beautiful, quiet, sunny 17th of Oktober.

I'm sitting behind my desk just staring outside, remembering a man that has been (and still is) a very big part of my life.

Ever since that glorious 10 day hike in the Austrian mountains back in '96, when my SO bought me "The Eye of the World" to have something to read in the evenings.

I'm surrounded by colleagues who have no clue who Robert Jordan -let alone Jim Rigney- is.

But I just raised my first cup of coffee in silent salute to Jim, who would have turned 68 today.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm surrounded by colleagues who have no clue who Robert Jordan -let alone Jim Rigney- is.

Mik, I could relate a lot to this feeling.

And think about it - people don't read in these days. Even if they read a few books in a year, these books tend to be short novels.

October 19, 2015

Among all Americans, the average (mean) number of books read in the previous year was 12 and the median (midpoint) number of books read was four.

For them, it could be quite horrifying to read a 10000 pages long story.

Archived