DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

IWW - Women in the Workforce

Hayl3y

This thread is about women in the workforce.

Panchi and I will be your hosts ;)

I have decided to change a bit the style of the discussion and to use questions, to make you discover new facts !

So ... first question :

What is the most common occupation for the women in the United States ?

My female friends are:

- Marketing consultant (x5)
- Education consultant (x4)
- Teacher (x4)
- Executive Assistant (x3)

- Accountant (x2)

- Biotech engineer (x2)
- B2B Sales (x3)
- Software Dev (x2)
- Lawyer (x2)
- Architect (x2)
- Writer (x2)
- Nurse (x2)
- Trainer (x2)
- Doctor

- Investment banker

- Investment Analyst (non certified)

- Nuclear engineer (PhD)

- Global Public Health consultant

- Psychologist  (PhD)

- Biologist (PhD)

That's off the top of my head...

That's actually a pretty diverse list most "high talent" (ie, post-grad required) positions, but I live in a high-tech city (Boston) so I wonder how much that skews my results.

I like that list ! female engineers !!!! we don't have that many here !!!

I'll leave a couple more people post before giving  you the full chart ^^

Teachers are in the second position (elementary and middle school)

I would have guessed nurses but according to US department of labour its secretary - I wouldn't have been far off though. That is for full time positions - i wouldn't be surprised if, including part time, it would be a retail associate instead.

Most of the women I know are farmers, though a smaller amount in my acquaintance are ecologists, climatologists, chemist/biochemists, political scientists, and I know one who is a civil engineer. 

wow ! well maybe i don't know the right kind of people lol

I have a female friend from uni who is engineer but that's about it. Most of my friends are psychologists, HR employees, art historian, secretaries or teachers.

So i am positively impressed by that list !

I've updated my list, expanding to people I am "friendly" with (basically anyone in my running club/summer camp staff alumni clubs)

..and counted my mom to get nurses out of the singles

[Nurse moms are great/horrible]

Good part:

Mom, am I dying?

-No

Bad part:

Mom, can I stay home from school?

-Are you dying?

No...

Here is the chart, and now I wonder : have you met a male secretary ?

So far I have only seen one male applicant for that kind of job. Unfortunately we couldn't hire him because of his very bad spelling :(

25mc_occupations_one.png

I've never seen a male secretary. Think it's due in part to the fact that secretary is a lot of times the first point of contact between other people and the person they are assistant to and so they have to have good social skills and patience. Lot of men don't have one or the other, and sometimes neither, and even if they have both, they usually can't be as inviting and non-threatening as most women. I've seen numerous situations where some arseholes will be extremely rude towards a woman in a service job but they won't do it at all towards a man in the same position. 

I have read theories about why there are so few women in leadership positions, and some of them mention that women will make sure that they fill all the requirements of doing the job before applying, while men don't. 

Do you think there's some truth in it?

I know I wouldn't apply for a job I wasn't sure I had all the right skills for.

Oh that is an interesting theory !

But indeed, I wouldn't apply for a job if I don't have the demanded skills. I'd also pay a lot of attention on the working place (I have to be on time to get the kids in school and I don't have a car ... ).

Taltos, I agree with you a secretary needs a lot of patience lol

(at least from my personal experience :tongue:)

Well, Sooh got it at teacher! I don't think it's that bad in SA. 

Let's see if I can find a chart...

Well, I found a PDF (page 39). Basically, our genders are balanced when just looking at education. Men seem to be more in management educational positions more often than women, and women are more often in the professional workplace, but not in any extremes. 

I am a mechanical engineer and know of numerous female engineers in my work place.  In addition, my department head is female (she is a computer scientist or computer engineer; I can't remember exactly which at the moment).  As a matter of fact, she was the first female department head (of a technical department) here; now there are two female department heads on the technical side.  We have had female department heads on the financial side before but technical had always been held by males.

At the branch level (we have branches, divisions, departments), our admin assistant (formerly known as "secretary") is male. I know of one other branch admin in our division who is male.  So while it isn't common, it isn't unheard of.

oh thanks for all the very encouraging info !

well here i found another chart about the education :

percent-bachelors-degrees-women-usa.png

I have another question for you all : working for a man, working for a woman, do you think/feel  it is different ?

I generally don't really like female bosses because most of them have had a queen bee syndrome and are busybodies. All of the male ones Ive ever had have known to just let me alone, I never want to see them almost ever, and I get things done right and better than others. Thats in my experience though.

I have a young engineer that works for me.  I let him know that if he needs help with any of the tasks that I've given him, that I am available for any questions or assistance.  However, I don't hover or tell him how to do something.  As his mentor, I'm training him to take my place but he needs to learn to do the job without me getting in his way.  That is the way my mentor worked with me and that is the way I will work with this young engineer.  As he learns and grows, he'll gain more of my trust and thus more autonomy. 

I've worked with micromanagers (who happened to be male) and it sucks. It's also very inefficient. 

I generally don't really like female bosses because most of them have had a queen bee syndrome and are busybodies. All of the male ones Ive ever had have known to just let me alone, I never want to see them almost ever, and I get things done right and better than others. Thats in my experience though.

Sadly mine as well.

I'm on that list.  :)

I have worked with male and female bosses so far. It is maybe more connected by the people themselves, I don't know... but the male bosses tended to settle a lot of things in the restaurants or around a glass of alcohol lol

The female bosses, on the opposite, never drink while doing business...

but as i said, it's maybe more related to the people than to the gender :tongue:

I have worked with male and female bosses so far. It is maybe more connected by the people themselves, I don't know... but the male bosses tended to settle a lot of things in the restaurants or around a glass of alcohol lol

The female bosses, on the opposite, never drink while doing business...

but as i said, it's maybe more related to the people than to the gender :tongue:

I've never been out with any of my boses...

I have here some interesting facts about the women in the workforce !

(source)

Women are now the majority of the workforce in the USA.

Women now earn almost sixty percent of university degrees in the USA and Europe.

In the USA, women make or influence eighty percent of consumer spending decisions.

Women make thirteen percent to twenty-three percent less than men.

Now, a little question : do women earn less than men in the company you work for ?

Where I work it is not the case, since we are civil servant, there's no way for us to negotiate what we earn. The same salary scale (?) is applied to all, no matter the gender.

Same here, Chae. Being civil servants and with the federal government, I don't experience discrimination wrt wages.  There are ceilings but everyone hits those, regardless of gender.  I was fortunate enough to break that ceiling last year (with the help and support of my management) and am now able to get raises again.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived