DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Other New Spring Novels

Asgard Thorin

Forgive me if I have missed this somewhere, but with the series over, I just don't get here as much as the days of old. Has there been any news on the proposed two othe prequel novels? Have they been published, are they still being written? We Brandon Sanderson write them? Have they been cancelled? Have I just missed word of them because I don't navigate this site much?

Thanks.

Brandon has made it known that neither the other prequels nor the "outrigger" novels will be written.  The notes that Robert Jordan left for these novels were very sparse anyway.  (In some cases, I think there was as little as one sentence.)  

And if I understand correctly, Harriet does not want the Wheel of Time to be something that goes on and on, with other authors writing in Robert Jordan's world.  

The one thing that is forthcoming is the Encyclopedia.

A Paul said, anymore novels is a no go.  Encyclopedia is it.  If I remember right BS said all that RJ had written about the outrigger series (don't remember exactly the exact words) was Mat dicing in and ally and Perrin on a ship thinking how he had to kill a friend.  Bascially just a couple of lines.  Not sure if RJ even had any notes about the prequel novels.

It was my understanding that one of the prequels would have started at the end of "New Spring." It would have covered the time that Lan and Moiraine were searching for Rand. The other one was supposed to cover Tam.

The outrigger was to cover Mat and the Seanchan.

None will take place, sadly. There were scarce, if any, notes from RJ.

It was my understanding that one of the prequels would have started at the end of "New Spring." It would have covered the time that Lan and Moiraine were searching for Rand. The other one was supposed to cover Tam.

The outrigger was to cover Mat and the Seanchan.

None will take place, sadly. There were scarce, if any, notes from RJ.

This is sad. That means the Wheel of Time is done, and that I will not have anything else to read. I have no need to read the Encyclopedia, nor any desire to read such. I s'pose all things must end, but this has been part of my life so long that it is hard to believe it is done. I hoped for a better note to end on than arguing about the body-swap theory. I suppose I might come back to visit this site sometime, but it won't be the same. Until then, unto all, Peace favor your sword.

Yeah I wish they would do 'something' with WOT. Live action wouldn't work due to the timing/budget issues, but it would make an amazing animated series if they cut out a lot of the unnecessary subplots.

My sister actually got me to watch the Avatar series' recently, and I'm doing a re-read of WOT right now so I noticed how massive the parallel themes are. Elemental powers, martial arts and combat, meditative and yogic practices, a large scale invasion by an army from across the ocean bent on total conquest, reincarnation (in particular, of a savior of the world who regularly returns to keep things on track, so to speak, and how they deal with the strain of their destiny), philosophies of dualism and balance (especially regarding gender and the balancing of strong male and female lead characters), the presence of personifications of Good/Evil who act through human champions, with the Evil one being bound and released periodically, changing ages of human history and especially focus on the periods of major transition, a mixed Asian/European aesthetic, an alternate dimension which is connected to the real world and is malleable to the thoughts and emotions of the inhabitants, and I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now.

It's almost uncanny, and I'm not suggesting Avatar ripped off WOT, there are a lot of differences too, but they both obviously drew a lot from the same pool of cultural and philosophical influences and they're both obvious products of our time, of the increased blending of Eastern and Western thought and lifestyle we're undergoing. Avatar also proved that serious, dramatic stories can be told using the animated medium (and I was skeptical starting out - I can't stand Japanese anime, which is what I thought I was in for), and I think with careful management the same could be done with WOT.

Alternatively, the WOT universe would make an amazing setting for a Bioware style RPG (and in this case, it's pretty obvious that the Dragon Age series was directly influenced hugely by Wheel of Time - if you squint and ignore the D&D elements, you can almost feel like you actually are playing a WOT game).

Yeah, it was an FPS and actually pretty damn fun. They designed a cool set of weapons based on different OP weaves, had some cool level design and really nailed the WOT atmosphere. There wasn't much of a story in there that I remember, but it was fun running around Shadar Logoth or the Blight smashing Trollocs with Fireballs and those huge, slow-tracking blasts of lightning, or setting chains of explosive wards to blow up Whitecloaks in the Fortress of Light level (set enough and they'd go flying and bounce off the roof - which is exactly what they deserve for having those stupid reflective shields). But fun as it was, it's not a full blown RPG.

Apparently the multiplayer was really good as well, but by the time I tried it there was noone else playing. Oh well, I'd say it'd be worth grabbing a cheap copy off ebay or wherever, or if you can't find it for sale, I'm sure you can always Legally Download It From a Legitimate Provider.

Archived