DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rolan and Faile/ KOD spoiler if you havent read.

gaishain

How often do you log on to DM to RP?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you log on to DM to RP?

• Once a day at least!
    • Oh, a couple times a week.
    • Every couple of weeks for sure!
    • Maybe once a month?
    • Whenever I get a chance.

Roland was a good guy. I would have much rather seen him stick a spear through Perrin. Then it would have been fun for Galina to kill Faile and then have Therava kill Galina and Sevanna at the same time. That would have been fun.

I can't stand Faile and Perrin shirking his duties for the silly woman.

May Perrin and Faile die at the Last Battle!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as for Faile not making a big deal about Perrin killing Rolan it just makes me think of the old saying "Don't shoot a gift horse in the mouth" or something like that.

After months of humiliating capivity and beatings do you really expect Faile(even if she is a littel whacky sometimes) to be all "OMG YOU KILLED THE GUY WHO WAS HARASSING ME!" right after her HUSBAND rescues her?  Would any senseible woman do that? No. Because you have to admit that while Rolan was being nice to her it seemed like he was only doing because he thought she was pretty and if he was nice enough she'd sleep with him. She even told him she was married and he didn't care.

I wasn't too sad it happened, but I don't think it would've affected the storyline in any way if he'd lived. Perrin had Berelain and Faile had Rolan. Whoop de doodle.

In my opinion, Rolan deserved to die. He was little better than the rest of his fellow Shaido Aiel. With everything that he tried to get Faile to do, Rolan was breaking all kinds of Aiel customs and honor. Like the rest of the Shaido, Rolan got what was coming to him.

Bleah. One of the things that makes the Wheel of Time interesting is that RJ went out of his way to make his characters more than one-dimensional. One is not meant to sympathize with Elaida or take her side, but we are certainly meant to understand her and to see her in her complexity. The same with Rolan, it seems to me. Like more than a few of the Aiel, he cannot accept the idea that He who Comes with the Dawn will be a wetlander. He is trying as best he can to keep the Aiel ways, as is evidenced both in his disgust with the failure of the Shaido to do so, and his desire to return to the Three-fold land.

In any case, I thought that Rolan's demise was not managed well. Faile is just walking with Rolan, Kinhuin, and Jhoradin, and is not in any obvious way in danger, and there are no other Aiel in the vicinity. The three do not grab their spears until after Perrin rushes at them, clearly meaning to attack them. It all seems to me rather a bit abrupt. To be sure, Aram has just tried to kill Perrin, but still the whole thing seems a bit un-Perrin-ish. Is this the same Perrin that threw his ax away in disgust and shame after cutting off a man's hand?

Another thing that puzzles me is why neither Perrin nor Faille realize that ``Maighdin'' is Morgase. Faille comments several times on the Maighdin's regal bearing and behavior. They both have met Elayne and Perrin is clearly aware of the resemblance. They are also aware, or should be, that no corpse was ever found, and that the supposed death of Morgase is strictly hearsay. (Then again, her damn' fool son takes a rumor passed on by a peddler who clearly has no first hand knowledge for gospel truth in the matter, so I suppose less than cautious judgment in this matter is not confined to Perrin and Faille.)

Well first off Perrin's just spent quite a while with his wife kidnapped unable to help her, and wondering if she was alive or not. The Shaido Aiel have not been the best at keeping up ji'e'toh, Perrin knows what they did to Rand and Min, and quite frankly he's going to bring the pain to anyone who takes his falcon. So this pissed off, tired, irrattated, frightened, bear of a man sees his wife for the first time in weeks with a group of the enemy who are all armed and as far he's concerned dangerous. So be breaks Rolan's head open with a hammer. Yeah, I find that totally plausiable. He's not going to just walk up and say, "Hey, dangerous Shaido Aiel members who have been causeing massive chaos throughout the lands and have been known to torture and enslave people who don't even follow ji'e'toh, what are you doing with my wife right now, and might I say, I LOVE those viels you're wearing!"

And as to recognizing Morgase, Perrin and Faile have seen Elayne a grand total of one time in the Stone of Tear over a year ago. Perrin thinks Morgase looks slightly familiar, but since he doesn't spend a whole lot of time with Elayne, and it's not to far from improbable that Rahvin had just balefired or incenerated her corpse, and there's been no news at all about Morgase being alive, they don't jump to that conclusion.

Just becaise Rolan was the only Aiel that remembered his honor he's deserving of pity? That was his chosen lifestyle and everyone with him had decided to abandon it so he tried to keep as much of it as he could using Faile. Do you think Rolan would have just handed Faile back to Perrin? I don't think Rolan would have...

I personally tought that it was a little funny that Perrin killed Rolan. I definatltly enjoied that part. As for all the people who are disgusted with Perrin for devoting time to find his wife. I hope that one day you all find a woman that you love so deeply that you would go to such lenghts to find her. I personally think that if Rand found out that one of his trio was kidnapped he would do just about anything to get them back which would be a very and thing for whoever was in his way cause he would pull out Callandor and destroy them.

``Perrin knows what they did to Rand and Min''

They did nothing to Rand and Min; that was Galina and others among the Aes Sedai that kidnapped Rand. Perrin is well aware of that, see the first chapter in COS, viz., ``High Chasaline'', where Aram tells Perrin that the sisters captured at Dumai's Wells should be killed. ``And they had kidnapped Rand, mistreated him.'' as Perrin reflects in that passage, tho' he is clear in his own mind that it would be unacceptable to kill those sisters, and alarmed by the suggestions by others---as well as Aram---that they should be killed. Later in the second chapter, ``The Butcher's Yard'', Kiruna says to Rand in Perrin's hearing, ``I know Galina treated you harshly.

I know you are welts from shoulders to knees. ....'' If you are going to write abusive replies like the above, the least you can do is re-read the relevant passages and get your facts straight :-( :-(

``and might I say, I LOVE those viels you're wearing!''

That's just silly, and it's `veils' not `viels'.

In any case, Perrin had the option of waiting rather than attacking at once, especially when the odds are three to one against him. Had Faile not killed one of the other two and Lacile and Arrela the third, Perrin would have ended up with an Aiel spear, or maybe two, in him. How would that have helped Faile or him? [FWIW, note that Rolan hesitates for a fraction of a second when Faile calls out Perrin's name, and it is that hesitation that enables Perrin to kill him. So maybe Rolan would have killed Perrin if that had not happened---even a short Aiel spear reaches farther than a hammer.] Perrin was taking a large risk by charging in like that. Perhaps he judged it the only option, but he could have tried a bluff, along the lines of ``There are others right behind me: let the women go and I will let you go....'' A poor option, perhaps, on the face of it, but if it is so, he is in real trouble anyway.

At any rate, re-reading the scene carefully, it does not now seem to me so abrupt, and jarring, but it did when I first read it.

[Perrin has the element of surprise, but that wasn't going to be enough here without the actions of his wife and Lacile and Arrela, which were not something he could have anticipated. (Maybe he saw that they had knives before he charged in, but there is nothing in the text to indicate that, and even if he had, could he be confident that they would use them? Faile maybe, but what about the other two?)]

``And as to recognizing Morgase, Perrin and Faile have seen Elayne a grand total of one time in the Stone of Tear over a year ago.''

More that once, I suspect: the lot of them were in the Stone for some weeks. But perhaps it is like this: Perrin sees the resemblance, but discounts it, tho' he considers the possibility, but Faile does not, but she does see the regal behavior and in her POV several times reflects that ``Maighdin'' is behaving ``like a queen''. E.g., after they are trapped in the basement of the burnt out house in the South of Malden: ``Faile looked at the other woman in surprise. Her maid's dirty face wore a queen's resolve.'' She also observes in POV scenes more than once that Maighdin is not a good at being a lady's maid. It never seems to occur to her, tho', that it might just mean that Maighdin isn't a maid, but rather nobility or even royalty who must, for whatever reasons, conceal what she is. Maybe RJ just liked the irony that Faile (and Perrin) can't see this, but that the reader knows better, and perhaps, as I did, wonders why they can't.

In any case, I suspect Maighdin's true identity will become clear to all in Perrin's party soon enough in AMOL: it is my guess that as Perrin et al are going to head North from Malden, they will encounter Galad and the Whitecloaks he leads. The feelings of both Galad and Morgase, as revealed in their POV's, make it clear that they will not be able to conceal their family relationship. To be sure, Galad is only her stepson, but their POV's make it clear that he loves her as his mother and she loves him as her son.

They did nothing to Rand and Min; that was Galina and others among the Aes Sedai that kidnapped Rand. Perrin is well aware of that, see the first chapter in COS, viz., ``High Chasaline'', where Aram tells Perrin that the sisters captured at Dumai's Wells should be killed. ``And they had kidnapped Rand, mistreated him.'' as Perrin reflects in that passage, tho' he is clear in his own mind that it would be unacceptable to kill those sisters, and alarmed by the suggestions by others---as well as Aram---that they should be killed. Later in the second chapter, ``The Butcher's Yard'', Kiruna says to Rand in Perrin's hearing, ``I know Galina treated you harshly.

I know you are welts from shoulders to knees. ....'' If you are going to write abusive replies like the above, the least you can do is re-read the relevant passages and get your facts straight :-( :-(

The Shaido Aiel consented and contributed to the taking of Rand al'Thor and his torture. Even their leader asked for his head. Perrin had to fight through an army of Shaido in order to get to Rand and Min, and he's been hearing reports of the chaos they've been causing for a while. So, yeah, he'd expect bad things to be happening to his wife. Plus, if you're wife has been kidnapped, you're passion is always going to tell you that your wife is not doing well. I'm sorry if my disagreement with you sounds at all like abuse, I'm just making an argument here.

``and might I say, I LOVE those viels you're wearing!''

That's just silly, and it's `veils' not `viels'.

In any case, Perrin had the option of waiting rather than attacking at once, especially when the odds are three to one against him. Had Faile not killed one of the other two and Lacile and Arrela the third, Perrin would have ended up with an Aiel spear, or maybe two, in him. How would that have helped Faile or him? [FWIW, note that Rolan hesitates for a fraction of a second when Faile calls out Perrin's name, and it is that hesitation that enables Perrin to kill him. So maybe Rolan would have killed Perrin if that had not happened---even a short Aiel spear reaches farther than a hammer.] Perrin was taking a large risk by charging in like that. Perhaps he judged it the only option, but he could have tried a bluff, along the lines of ``There are others right behind me: let the women go and I will let you go....'' A poor option, perhaps, on the face of it, but if it is so, he is in real trouble anyway.

At any rate, re-reading the scene carefully, it does not now seem to me so abrupt, and jarring, but it did when I first read it.

[Perrin has the element of surprise, but that wasn't going to be enough here without the actions of his wife and Lacile and Arrela, which were not something he could have anticipated. (Maybe he saw that they had knives before he charged in, but there is nothing in the text to indicate that, and even if he had, could he be confident that they would use them? Faile maybe, but what about the other two?)]

I think you underestimate Perrin's fighting ability. He's quite skilled with that hammer. He's fought through armies before. If all three of the Aiel had attacked him at once, he would have fought accordingly. As it happens, only Rolan got close to attacking.

Again, it's his passion ruling his reason here, which is perfectly human. These Aiel are the enemy, they've caused massive damage to all of Randland since crossing the Dragonwall. Perrin is only interested in saving his wife and her friends. As it worked out, perhaps in part due to his Tav'eraness, he only had to take out Rolan, and that proved to be pretty simple.

I personally tought that it was a little funny that Perrin killed Rolan. I definatltly enjoied that part. As for all the people who are disgusted with Perrin for devoting time to find his wife. I hope that one day you all find a woman that you love so deeply that you would go to such lenghts to find her. I personally think that if Rand found out that one of his trio was kidnapped he would do just about anything to get them back which would be a very and thing for whoever was in his way cause he would pull out Callandor and destroy them.

I'm with Corbett on this one.  If someone takes your heart, you kill whatever is in the way to get it back.

``I think you underestimate Perrin's fighting ability. He's quite skilled with that hammer.''

Yes but it does not give him the reach and speed to cope with three Aiel armed with spears on relatively open ground.

``He's fought through armies before.''

At Dumai's Wells he was part of a line of battle. He has both Loial and Aram next to him. And he uses the battle axe with which he has both greater reach, and, I suspect, greater speed. Eventually he is back to back with Aram and Loial, but still only one Shaido at a time in front of him. There are still too many, and Perrin fears the end; what saves the three of them is the arrival of the Asha'man, and the shield that they put up, which separates Perrin, Aram, and Loial from the Shaido.

``If all three of the Aiel had attacked him at once, he would have fought accordingly. As it happens, only Rolan got close to attacking.''

How exactly? They can throw those spears as well as stab with them, recall, tho' they are trained to stab with them. They are on relatively open ground, as I noted. Fighting just Couladin, armed with the Ashandarei (sp?) with which he has both reach and speed, Mat prevails, but is seriously wounded in the fight. Couladin was no doubt the greater fighter than Rolan and the other two, but still, they are Aiel.

Maybe Perrin would have prevailed, but it seems to me that by the time he would have beaten the second of the three, the third would have been on him, stabbing away. Maybe also it was in Perrin's nature to rush in regardless, but I think that in this case the prompt action by Faile, Lacile, and Arrela saved him.

I could be wrong, but I thought Rolan was intent on killing Perrin.  Didn't the two charge at each other?  I kind of liked Rolan and was sorry to see him go, but when I read that part I thought Rolan was happy to get rid of the "husband."  To an Aiel, combat is combat and the grieving widow shouldn't hold things against him. 

Yes but it does not give him the reach and speed to cope with three Aiel armed with spears on relatively open ground.

You mean like it didn't give him the reach and speed to kill the two Aiel earlier when he came rushing into the camp at the beginning of the battle? I wouldn't imagine that the length of the axe is that much greater then that of the hammer. And regardless, he's incredibly strong and has shown that he knows how to use the hammer against multiple enimies.

At Dumai's Wells he was part of a line of battle. He has both Loial and Aram next to him. And he uses the battle axe with which he has both greater reach, and, I suspect, greater speed. Eventually he is back to back with Aram and Loial, but still only one Shaido at a time in front of him. There are still too many, and Perrin fears the end; what saves the three of them is the arrival of the Asha'man, and the shield that they put up, which separates Perrin, Aram, and Loial from the Shaido.

Even if Perrin had his back up against Lioal through the fighting, the Aiel could still attack more then just one on one against Perrin. We can't know for sure, but I would suspect he fought multiple enimies at once. We do know that he's fought multiple trollocs at once, and multiple Aiel at once during the battle in KoD. The fact that there are too many Aiel and he begins to be afraid has no real barring since we're talking about Perrin vs. 3 guys, not the whole army. Could Perrin take out 3 Aiel? I believe so.

How exactly? They can throw those spears as well as stab with them, recall, tho' they are trained to stab with them. They are on relatively open ground, as I noted. Fighting just Couladin, armed with the Ashandarei (sp?) with which he has both reach and speed, Mat prevails, but is seriously wounded in the fight. Couladin was no doubt the greater fighter than Rolan and the other two, but still, they are Aiel.

Maybe Perrin would have prevailed, but it seems to me that by the time he would have beaten the second of the three, the third would have been on him, stabbing away. Maybe also it was in Perrin's nature to rush in regardless, but I think that in this case the prompt action by Faile, Lacile, and Arrela saved him.

When fighting a group of men you use different tactics then when fighting only one. If all three attacked at once, Perrin, who's fought multiple enimes at once before, would use those tactics. If the Aiel had been stupid enough to through their spears, Perrin would have dodged or blocked, and the would be stuck with nothing but their knife.

Perrin would have the same Tav'eran charm going for him that Mat does in his fight with Couladin. Perrin is not particularly skilled with longer range weapons, he is however good with close range. Very good. They jump at him, he breaks their skulls, or knee caps, or shoulders, or chests, or arms, and then uses his knife to slit their throat. The hammer is killer weapon, he's strong, he can move the hammer quickly enough to still be effective with his knife.

Also, why not suspect Faile and the women would take a helping hand? Faile's not going to stand there and allow 3 Aiel to kill her husband without putting up a fight. None of the women want to be slaves to the Aiel. Again, his Tav'eran abilities would, most likely, turn fate to his favor.

We both agree he would have attacked any way. It was completely believable that he would attack. His mental and emtional state are not in an area where not attacking would be an option. He's been very slow and methodical about the entire battle up until now, and he'll be damned if he's going to let just three Aiel take his wife when he could have done something to prevent it. Maybe events could have played out differently, and in some parrelel universe I'm sure they did, but thanks to his Tav'eran abilities, the fact Faile called out his name, the fact that the women attacked, the fact that he's skilled with a hammer and knife, and the fact that he's fought mulitple enemies at once before, Perrin succeeded in rescuing his wife and their friends and the Shaido Aiel army was shattered into a remnent of a remnent.

``and the Shaido Aiel army was shattered into a remnent of a remnent.''

Of course, there are other septs of the Shaido still out there, including the two that are just to the South of Malden and estimated to arrive about Noon, whence the urgency of finishing the battle well before Noon. But I like the suggestion that Therava et al are the remnant of a remnant mentioned in the prophecy of Rhuidean, esp. as that also occurred to me as I was reading the end of KoD :-) :-)

``Perrin would have the same Ta'veren charm going for him that Mat does in his fight with Couladin.''

Hm... I had not factored that in. Do we know how that is supposed to work in a fight? In his reflection on his fight with Couladin, Mat thinks, ``Maybe I still have a bit of luck'' (<i>Fires of Heaven</i>, ``After the Storm'', page 719 in the paper edition.). But he does not connect this with being Ta'veren. Maybe we should do so on his behalf. :-). But we already know how good Mat is with a quarterstaff and he was using the Ashandarei as such in fighting Couladin, so maybe there wasn't much luck involved.

• 4 years later...

To be honest... Faile was really just leading Rolan on for her escape, I wouldn't have been surprised if she stabbed him in the back if Perrin didn't turn up. They love each other very deeply, and she's not going to brush off Perrin for some Aiel dude who was 'nice to her' and 'spanked her bottom' to keep her awake (that was kinda funny though...). Yes Rolan saved her from rape, etc but he was still Shaido and I really think he just liked her for looks. Maybe the fact he saw her sort of half naked once (I'm sure he did once...) was what did it for him, ya know? It was definitely her looks for Rolan. Lecher for sure. Not surprised he stopped Naldric (was it?) from raping her, just so he could have her. Yeah, maybe he seemed nice but again that's an act to butter her up probably. Faile even says she's married and any honourable person would stop the courting right there; but no, he just carries on.

Yeah Faile feels sorrow afterwards and in later books because he died as she's not a horrible person: she's going to feel slightly sad he had to die, rather than be I dunno beat up, because he did help her escape, etc even if he was a lecher and just liked her for looks. Still don't know why she carries that blue stone Rolan gave her... really didn't like this Rolan dude. How can he have the nerve to want to marry her when she already has a husband she's utterly devoted to and loves greatly? Do not like when someone comes between two people who love each other, especially married. And yeah, Rolan was Shaido = dishonourable, stupid, bad guy.

Also, like some person said earlier, when Perrin smashed his face in and killed him, I 'did shake with laughter'. And I felt satisfaction and smugness: he got what was coming for him. And what's it going to look like to Perrin: three or four Aiel with his wife, and two other women, escaping? He's going to think they're leading Faile away. No way is he gonna be OK with that. Hammer time. Smash, crack, dead. Job done: wife back, bad guys dead. Maybe this was a test or something for RJ to show how devoted and in love Faile and Perrin are: nothing comes between them.

Fighting three Aiel is no problem for Perrin. Yeah maybe he would get stuck with a spear in his side but I bet his muscle would have protected him, since he's buff and all. Also, since he's a wolf dude he must have some agility and enhanced strength (not like he's strong already) and with his long handled war hammer, one swing or arc of that would be enough to take all three at once. Bam, triple kill.

And yeah, Rolan was Shaido = dishonourable, stupid, bad guy.

Nope Rolan was one of the Mera'din. A number of times he expressed disgust at what the Shaido were turning into.

As for the rest of your post, you are welcome to your interpretation of course, but I read it much differently and I would guess most others did as well. For whatever reason you haven't even in the slightest way considered the cultural differences when judging him.

As for the rest of your post, you are welcome to your interpretation of course, but I read it much differently and I would guess most others did as well. For whatever reason you haven't even in the slightest way considered the cultural differences when judging him.

OK, enlighten me. How do you read him? I would actually like to know, so I guess I can see what I'm missing. Genuinely, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or nasty here.

I'm probably most worked up about this because it went on for so long, I mean 2 and bit books of Perrin chasing after Faile while she's trying to avoid and use Rolan's advances to try to escape? A bit too long for me... and like I said, I dislike someone coming between two people who are in love and married. Faile told him she was married and the fact he shrugs it off and he still plans on marrying her. That's got to be a bit wrong, right? Trying to marry someone else's wife? Aiel or not Aiel, Shaido or not Shaido, that's dodgy for sure.

And 'most others' here didn't really like him either, well, from reading the whole thread...

Yes he was Mera'din but the fact he decided to hang around with Shaido and then realise his disgust at them, well fair enough... but he only decided to run away when he eyed some pretty girl he wanted to run off with and marry? It looks like that anyway. He could have abandoned them ages ago if he felt disgusted by being a part of the Shaido.

And yes I am likely very biased against Rolan. Sorry. I just liked the fact he got his face smashed in and Perrin and Faile get a happy reunion. Sure, Rolan was an OK guy as he helped Faile escape (apart from the fact he just wanted Faile for himself, etc) which is why she perhaps wears that blue stone he gave her and holds a remembrance thing in ToM; but in the end, he was in the way of Perrin and Faile, so he died. I don't think RJ would want to go for a complicated love triangle or something. Like I said before, it seemed like a test for Faile mainly to see if she really did love Perrin utterly and completely. Also, Faile did stab the other Aiel guy in the back, along with Alliandre who stabbed another suggesting... she really wanted to get away.

OK, enlighten me. How do you read him?

Well as I said above, you failed to take into account cultural differences. For Aiel what happens while she is Gai'shain doesn't count. There is nothing wrong with and no shame in passing the time that way even if you are married. Secondly Aiel often have multiple spouses so it takes away any importance from your "coming in between two people who are married" in his mind. We can not expect him to realistically view things any differently.

Lastly he never once pushed himself on her. To his mind he was helping a Gai'shain pass the time and endure the rigors of the Shaido camp. There is nothing in the text to support the nefarious intentions you ascribe to him when helping stop the rape etc. It seemed as if he genuinely cared for her. Not saying he had 100% the purest intentions and yes obviously he wanted to sleep with her. Bottom line what was going was perfectly acceptable to the Aiel. Taking the cultural differences into account doesn't absolve him, but it does help us understand his character and actions. In addition this is a man whose entire world has been upended by the DR. He feels disgust for the Shaido around him and is trying to come to terms with what his life has become. He obviously has honor of a sort...any careful reading of the passages involved shows this to be a much more complicated situation than "he is a lecher that deserved to die".

Despite the personal attitude towards old Rolan, Faile mourned him and is sad, so that can't be held against her. He clearly wasn't a bad guy, having said that, I still think what he did was a bit unfair. While he didn't force himself on her, as mentioned, he pressured her a heap. Cultural differences is a funny one, since most people despise the Seanchan for their culture, and that is acceptable, but Rolan cannot be criticized? (of course, fair enough if you feel the same about Seanchan, since that would be consistent).

I personally don't think cultural difference is an excuse here. It explains that he didn't think what he was doing was bad, but I can't see why people can't dislike him for it. He is doing something undesirable, it is natural for people do dislike it if they feel that way. (funnily enough, this means that we think of the whole culture as terrible, rather than just the one guy. Still doesn't change the fact that it is terrible)

Although, I think that he shouldn't be thought of as evil or a monster, since he didn't think he was doing wrong. Still, I see no problem with his death unworthy of being mourned.

IN any case, she clearly regrets it, and I see nothing wrong with any part of the who plot-line.

Also, what's the deal with the random Poll?

Archived