DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rolan and Faile/ KOD spoiler if you havent read.

gaishain

How often do you log on to DM to RP?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you log on to DM to RP?

• Once a day at least!
    • Oh, a couple times a week.
    • Every couple of weeks for sure!
    • Maybe once a month?
    • Whenever I get a chance.

Do you think in a Memory of light Faile will make a bigger deal about the death of Rolan? I personally was quite angry that she basically just shrugged her shoulders and said oh well. I mean the way she reacted was just sad in my opinion. For someone who protected her, saved her from being raped numerous times, and obviously cared very much for her she just did not seem upset at all! I was really angry that Rolan died. I just wanted to slap Perrin. Anyone else feel the same?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Majsju

Rolan was the one who kidnapped her in the first place. Faile should dance on his grave, not feel sad for a lowlife scum like that.

Guest Majsju

Thinking about it, I take back what I just said. Rolan doesn't deserve a grave, leave the body as it is, good food for some animals.

Aww that is sad you guys. Yeah Rolan took her in the first place but he was only under the orders of the wise ones. I think he did care for her considering that he wanted to run away with her so they could just be a man and a woman. Plus I thought he had talked to her about wedding wreaths. He saved her so many times.. if it was not for Rolan, Faile would be raped or dead.

Guest Majsju

Obeying an order makes you just as responsible as the one giving it in the first place.

And if Rolan had made Faile to sleep with him in order to help her escape, that would have been rape as well.

Faile was happy to see Perrin and did not want to ruin the moment by having to explain why she was upset that he killed this random Aiel that had wanted to jump her bones, so to speak. She probably felt sad over the incident later on, of course, because she's not cold-hearted, but that was not the time or place to grieve over Rolan.

I agree Roland got what I would have given him and if Faile would have been upset I would have REALLY hated her! He kidnapped her from her love, he tried to get in her pants, and got his head crushed. *shrug* I had no feeling about his death except there was not enough detail in the act. Dresses and silk are more important than blood and brains spraying across Perrins face. :D

I'm just happy the whole episode of Faile's imprisonment has ended. I would very much not like to go through another 2-3 chapters of Faile and Perrin dealing with the issue of Rolan. It just went on for far too long.

I'll have to read the excerpt again, but I wonder if we find out in the next book that Rolan in fact is not dead. (If there was brain splatter, then I guess your'e right, I don't remember). He's badly hurt, yes, and probably mistaken for dead by all present (so discussion of Faile's reaction is relevant), but I think he might become gai'shain by Perrin's Aiel and get nursed back to health.

Why?

Remember Min's viewing concerning Berelain and the man in white who will sweep her off her feet? Could be a different guy of course... but the moment he turned up on the scene to help Faile I thought it would be him.

Interesting theory there about Rolan, and Min's vision for Berelain. .. But I think that Rolan is as dead as a doornail. His skull was crushed by Perrin's hammer, for light's sake.

However, I believe that this man in white for Berelain could be Elayne's brother, (don't remember his name right now :( ) whom is now a Lord Commander of the whitecloaks.

I felt upset for Rolan - he was a good guy and saved Fail more then ones - I always thought Perrin would rescue her - attack Rolan during it - Fail comes - steps between them - explains about him saving her - with out giving away to much and Rolan brings the brotherless back to the dragon via Perrin. - BUT NO Perrin kills him and Fail is not even upset.

As for the man in white - I also think that is Galad - the two are just made for each other!

Rolan struck me as an opporunistic lecher. He had honor of a sort, but he was out for himself. Besides, mourn for the people who die fighting against the shaido, first. He chose to go brotherless and join the Shaido. It should be clear what they're doing to Aiel ways, and he's still ok with all the rape and pillaging.

He deserves his fate, even if as Shaido go, he's one of the nicer ones.

J

I agree, he was an asshole,in fact, many of the brotherless are insane to throw down their spears and run from their destiny... but maybe it's just my opinion :D

I agree 100% with the Galad Berelain theory. They would be perfect for each other, leaving Faile and Perrin, and Egwene and Gawyn to fall in love. Plus it'll add another string around Galad to follow the dragon.

Galad's 7000 renegade White Cloaks are even in the area that Perrin is in. All the rumors about White Cloaks on the move and such. Galad is the only son close enough to meet up with Morgase before the end of this series and that has to be one of the plot lines finished. Galad will thank Perrin for keeping Morgase alive and pardon him for splitting the skulls of those white cloaks in the first part of the series.

Huh, I didn't even think of the 'man in white' as being a Whitecloak. I automatically thought of gai'shain for some reason (although up until Rolan got hit, you have to admit that was as good a theory as any other). I don't remember that scene very well- I seem to remember Perrin hitting a couple of Aiel, one pretty much dead, another hurt badly (possibly dead), so I guess Rolan was a goner after all.

Galad and Berelain definitely make a lot more sense. I'm thinking their relationship will be rather stormy (he all Mr Moral and she... well lets face it she is rather saucy isn't she- although not as 'loose' as people tend to think?), but let's face it prickly relationships seem to be a major theme in these books.

on the subject of faile and rolan, i dont think its a big deal. When i first read it i thought it was sad an all that type of stuff...well now im done the book so i picked up a song of ice and fire...after reading that series, one death of a minor character is NOTHING! You realize about halfway through the first book *MINOR SPOILERRS* that Martin has a thing for killing characters left right and centre...so you get used to it...it isnt a big deal, its just the death of someone that you were enver really that attaached to in teh first place...

I was not in any way upset with Faile’s reaction. I was expecting for her to round on Perrin for opening the side of Rolan’s dead with his hammer (that was way cool BTW) but all she cared about in that moment was being held by Perrin. Why should the death of some kidnapping, honourless Aiel deserve more of a reaction from Faile in the instant she is reunited with her husband who has brought an army to rescue her than he received?

I’ve read threads like this before where people have tried to justify Rolan as being a nice guy because he saved her from being raped and wanted to marry her – PLEASE! If he cared so much for her, why didn’t he stand up to the Wise Ones and refuse to capture her? Because he would have been made gai’shain! And he didn’t want that. So he figured the best way to have Faile was to make her gai’shain and then free her by marrying her. Hardly an honourable course of action if you ask me.

Faile loves Perrin and no one else. Rolan got what he deserved. Anyone who thinks differently is missing the point entirely IMO.

Archived