DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Faile's kidnapping too long? Spoiler - read her rescue first

stoneface

I didn't think it dragged on too long. It didn't take that long a time for Perrin to attack the Shaido, considering how he needed the Seanchan for it too.

As the Faile being captive, I found it interesting to watch the degradation of the Shaido. We knew they'd be destroyed by what was told to the Aiel chiefs in Rhuidean, but under Sevanna, the Shaido had changed very much during their months in the wetlands. Really since Sammael transported them to Ghealdan and Altara. There was barely a scrap of ji'e'toh left, and nothing to replace it. They were very near a bunch of bandits by the time of the rescue. It would have been interesting to see what would have come of an Aiel city like that eventually, but that would have been dragging on. Anyway, since Therava has intentions of undoing what Sevanna did, that will not probably be an issue for them.

I do say that Perrin's incessant knots were wearing, but he still did come up with a decent plan, even with misconceived attempt to have Faile and the others waiting in the fortress. Though perhaps trusting an Aes Sedai was reasonable.

Anyway, there were other things happening, the rescue didn't take all of those books after all.

• 4 months later...

It bothered me that Rolan died so bluntly (perhaps there was a pun intended). I mean, he saved Faile's life multiple times, then gets a hammer to the face. I can see why Faile would keep her mouth shut about it, but that doesn't stop me from being bothered by how easily he was put out of mind. I liked him :(

As for Faile's kidnapping, it seemed like she was there forever. I was so glad that Perrin saved her just for the fact that I wouldn't have to read about her being in there anymore. I was also sick of Perrin thinking of nothing but her. Her kidnapping made me dislike Perrin, sadly, and I'm sure I skimmed some parts that were important because of not likin' him. Perhaps he'll redeem himself, but probably not. One can always hope... :)

I feel like the following statement will be incredibly unpopular, so I'm well prepared for everyone to start throwing rotten tomatoes, but here it goes anyway.

Faile's captivity didn't go on long enough.

*pause for the obligatory "What the hell?" silence*

There are actual reasons for this. Has something to do with the fact that I like reading about characters who are filled with mental anguish. Anyway, I felt that Rolan as a character had an opportunity to put Perrin in an incredibly distraught mental state, perhaps making him even harder than Rand. It would have taken a little bit longer, but would have made Perrin an incredibly compelling character once again, maybe even as good as he was in tSR.

Here's what I had been expecting (bare-bones):

After Faile's plan to elicit Galina's help falls through, she gives in to Rolan's "kissing games" in order to solicit his aid in escaping. As she herself thinks in KoD, this leads to "more than kissing." Eventually she escapes with Rolan's help (or Perrin's, that part doesn't matter, what's important is that Rolan lives). Fast forward a bit, and Perrin finds out about Faile/Rolan, goes into a murderous rage at this betrayal, kills Rolan, maybe Faile, and then can't bear to live with himself. Enter Berelain, and I guess you all can figure out the rest yourself.

Damn was I wrong! So now you know you can take all my predictions on aMoL with a grain of salt, obviously I don't know what I'm talking about.

Guest Cadsuane

I agree that lots of things happened that furthered the plot, as RAW brought up, but at the same time, I have to vote too long, because it was so dammed annoying to read. If it had taken this long, but we hadn't had to listen to Perrin b*tch and moan as much as he did, it would have been ok. I know some people think it's romantic, but I think it's irritating. :?

It was too long with too little pay off, mind you I might change my mind depending on how much of the pay off was just waiting till AMoL. LIke RAW said, it does set up a number of things, and if these things pay off, in a spectacular way, it will all look a lot better in the 20/20 vision of hindsight. I did just want to point out one thing from RAW's earlier post though.

Mat could get to the Tower in fairly good time, but getting from the Tower to the scene of the rest of the action in good time will probably require some help.

As I have pointed out many times, it would be a fairly short rivertrip from Mat's current location to the tower, and a similarly short trip from there to either whitebridge, or more likely, IMO, Illian. There is no need for Mat to meet with any channeler. Nor is the assumption that AMoL will cover only weeks instead of months fully proven.

I suppose now I think differently about how the whole "rescue faile" thing is now after reading some of the posts in this thread. It got alot accomplished.

Faile being everything to Perrin is kind of silly though. It kind of reminds me of Shadar Logoth, they said "The Victory of the Light is All!" and used evil to fight evil. Seems remarkably similar to what Perrin does, "Faile is everything!" also saying something like He'd ally with the dark one to save faile...

Disco asked, "Wait, it was Rolan that Perrin hit in the face with his hammer?"

Yep, killed him deader than a two week dead grunter fish.

Then wiped Rolan's blood and brain matter on his Gai'shain robe.

It was cold. Faile smelled slightly of guilt. Like I said, it was cold.

I think that the death of Rolan is going to culminate in Perrin realizing how foolish it was for him to think that he can disregard everyone and everything for Faile's sake. As it turns out he didn't really have to sacrifice anyone unnecessarily except Rolan. Everyone that died fighting the Shaido doesn't count because the Shaido needed to be fought anyway. So my point is that the only one that didn't need to die and did was one that was helping Faile, not hurting her. So when Perrin learns the truth about Rolan (I think he'll understand about the kissing stuff because of what he has learned about the Aiel ways) he will be racked with guilt and maybe not be so rash when the heat is on. Which is funny because RJ has made a point of letting us all know how careful Perrin is because of his size growing up and having accidentally hurt people and stuff. It might even affect him to the point of hesitating at a vital moment and getting himself killed. Then he can play with Hopper forever in the wolf dream.

PS I don't think that the escape was too long, it was just so annoying that it felt that way. Definitely my least favorite part of the last three books.

====================================================

"There is a peace only to be found on the other side of war. And if that battle comes, I will fight it!"

More like he'll mope all alone in the wolf dream. I think Hopper is dead if I recall.

I felt very very sorry for Rolan, when he died I was like, "What? WTF was that?!"

I really hope that Perrin finds out what a mistake he made in AMoL, but then maybe not, Faile might choose to keep quiet. I do feel that this incident will add a whole new dimension to their relationship though. I mean, if I were Faile, I couldn't face him with that guilt inside me :?

• 2 weeks later...

I was just poking around on the new boards and...well just a quick reply...

So, it may have been long and drawn out ... but like the entire book Bloody Crossroads of Flaming Twilight, it seems to have been necessary.

ROFLMAO... AMEN

Painfully long.  Kidnapping, as a plot device, works great for a couple of chapters.  But there's not enough planning going into the rescue to keep it interesting for so many books.  On top of that, you have pages and pages of exposition with each book to reset the scene.

Also, Faile annoys me and I was hoping she would die, or be dragged back to the Waste, or something. ::)

Archived