DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shaido and Sharans

Sabio

I am curious what everyone thinks will become of the Sharans and the Shaido.  They are not part of the Dragon's peace so I would think anyone could go fight them or they could attack a nation if they wanted to.  Though seeing how they do not know of the Dragon's Peace I am guessing if they attacked anyone every nation would rise up against them to defend the nation that was attacked.  The Shaido has pretty much started a blood feud with every Aiel clan not to mention all the wetlander hostages they still hold.  The Sharan sided with the DO and fought alongside shadowspawn so will the nations ignore that and leave them alone or go to finish them off? 

Well the only ones in shape to conquer or destroy the Sharans are the Seanchan at this point, everyone else has lost too much manpower.

Likewise with the Shaido, I can't see the clans leaving them alone, but at the same time a united Aiel could attempt reconciliation with them. Especially with how the Wise Ones where looking to save as many Aiel as possible, I cannot see them signing off on destroying them without trying to bring them back into the fold

I am curious what everyone thinks will become of the Sharans and the Shaido.  They are not part of the Dragon's peace so I would think anyone could go fight them or they could attack a nation if they wanted to.  Though seeing how they do not know of the Dragon's Peace I am guessing if they attacked anyone every nation would rise up against them to defend the nation that was attacked.  The Shaido has pretty much started a blood feud with every Aiel clan not to mention all the wetlander hostages they still hold.  The Sharan sided with the DO and fought alongside shadowspawn so will the nations ignore that and leave them alone or go to finish them off? 

We still do not know how many of the Sharans served the shadow of their own free will.   After all, they were under the leadership of one of the forsaken.  It's possible that their leaders were compelled and other key people were compelled. 

But in any case, the losses during the battle and the chaos in Shara should allow a successful invasion.  They are too busy with internal issues to deal with anything else. 

True, seeing how they started a blood feud with every other Aiel clan and contain members who broke clan which seems to be a big aiel no-no, plus the clan jumpers really don't seem content with how the Shaido were treating them.  We know the aiel were going to attack the Seachean after the last battle because of the captured wise ones (even though they were shaido).  My problem is the Shaido broke so many customs like making wetlanders gaishan, allowing wise ones to fight, killing more than was necessary when they took a town, etc.  I just can't see them be asked back into the aiel nation.  If they aren't attacked, I could see the shaido being isolated and slowly going away, getting smaller and smaller until one day they might not exist anymore.

The Sharans I think will have serious issues, just the number of channelers they had lost would make keeping their nation the way it was before Dem showed up tough.  Since the channerles were secretly in charge.  I think they will be left alone simple because no nation by itself has an army of the needed size to try and take Shara, unless they unite and the seanchean will be too focused on taking back their homeland to go after Shara.

Preamble: The Third Age Aiel are a remnant of what they once were, in the Age of Legends. As we saw via the various trips through Rhuidean, they retain only a few small echoes of their former lives. After the Last Battle, the bulk of the clans are headed towards a very different future (in the Wetlands), thanks to the Dragon's Peace. But it's also worth pointing out that, by fighting in the Last Battle, the Aiel have also finally expiated their toh for "failing the Aes Sedai" (/presumably, for abandoning the Way of the Leaf). It was this toh which characterized the Aiel in the Third Age: they were condemned to the Threefold Land to forge them into weapons for the Car'a'carn. We're given some indication that Aviendha's vision of the future may not come to pass. The Shaido, however, have retreated back to the threefold-land, and did not take part in the Last Battle: therefore, they have not expiated their toh.

So: I think that the Shaido's future is quite grim. They are a remnant of a remnant, and they seem doomed to the same fate as the Aiel in Aviendha's vision. They are fair targets for Seanchan in search of damane, for Aiel to hone their fighting skills (since they can't fight one another any more, and since there won't be too many opportunities for war, given the Dragon's Peace), for Wetlanders in search of battle and glory (since they can't attack one another for a while), for Sharans wanting to secure their borders, etc. 

As far as Shara is concerned... I suspect that the nations of the world will be launching raids and invasions for quite some time, in lieu of fighting one another. Shara is one of only a handful of safe military targets (along with the rebellious elements of the Seanchan continent and the Shaido), so I expect they'll take out their aggression on them eventually. The fact that Sharans sided with the Shadow during the Last Battle will likely mean that some of the forces of the Light will be itching to mete out what they take to be justice. They're quite a nice target for the Seanchan too (at least to raid for damane, if not to conquer), especially once their home continent is subdued.

Well the only ones in shape to conquer or destroy the Sharans are the Seanchan at this point, everyone else has lost too much manpower.

Likewise with the Shaido, I can't see the clans leaving them alone, but at the same time a united Aiel could attempt reconciliation with them. Especially with how the Wise Ones where looking to save as many Aiel as possible, I cannot see them signing off on destroying them without trying to bring them back into the fold

The Shaido abandoned their wetlander gaishan after Malden, and they headed back to the Three-Fold Land. But they had sent a sept chief to Rhuidean before that. The Aiel forgave Rand all the times he bashed up against ji'e'toh, and the Shaido at large are innocent; only the Shaido Wise Ones are at fault for they knew Couladin was lying; the Shaido witnesses at Al'cair Dal must have said what Rand said, and Couladin's reply. I imagine if the Shaido got a real chief the other Aiel would grudgingly give them a chance, but Heaven and the Wheel help the Shaido Wise Ones, for Sorilea surely won't. As for the blood feud potential, the Aiel might lay that at Sevanna's, Couladin's, and the Shaido Wise One's collective feet. There would be no point in blood feud since all of those people are dead or serving a fitting punishment-except a pitiful number of Wise Ones. The Aiel probably wouldn't gang up to extinct them, I don't think, especially since a goodly number of Maidens came from that clan. And just because the Aiel will spend much time on the main continent (Hawkwingia) doesn't mean they'll abandon the Waste.

And Durinax, I must disagree on this point; the Seanchan aren't in shape to conquer anything. They have to conquer Seanchan first. 

I think that one of the reasons they forgave Rand so much, was partly because he hadn't been raised to their customs, they held Avi responsible for teaching/failing to teach the things he should have known, and also because they had to.  They knew the prophecy said that a remnant of a remnant would be saved, but without Rand it would be none, the WO always seem pretty pragmatic to me.

Asgard Thorin: On the blood feud point, I take it that blood feuds survive the individuals first involved, hence (in part) why they're blood feuds. A regular feud would end with one participant's death. Blood feuds are stronger, and can leave clans hostile to one another for decades.

As for the Aiel not abandoning the three-fold land... remember: the three-fold land was their punishment, and now their toh has been paid. When toh is paid in full, it is forgotten. The only Aiel who haven't paid their toh are the Shaido, and since the Last Battle is now over, it seems impossible for them to meet their toh (barring waiting seven thousand years or so). Blood feuds aside, it's entirely possible that the other Aiel might help them try to meet their toh by dancing the spears with them (since that was, in part, how the Aiel were to meet their toh in the first place).

As Durinax said, Rand has been forgiven because he is like a child: he does not know any better due to his wetlander origins. The other Aiel expected the Shaido to behave better, to know better than to throw a child's tantrum when the Car'a'carn came and made his revelations. And they expected them to know better than to abandon so much of ji'e'toh, no matter what the Wise Ones said. If a clan chief or Wise Ones said gai'shain could now fight, that would not make it so: Aiel are expected to recognize right from wrong, and to act properly in all situations. When wrong actions are demanded of them, they have a duty to either refuse to perform them, or to accept the toh they would incur by doing them. The Shaido failed in all of these respects, and have incurred monstrous toh.

Exactly Rand was cut some slack because in many ways because of who he was and that he didn't grow up Aiel.  Couladin and Sevanna's ambition might led the Shaido to abandon jie'toh but the Shaido all willingly followed them.  Even Rand had mentioned something about that I think in Fire of heaven when he wouldn't trust the captured Shaido to keeping to being Gaishan.  The shaido can't claim innocence because the willingly did all the actions that broke Jie'toh.  The I was simly following orders excuse doesn't fly with the Aiel.  They also didn't abandon all their wetlander gaishan, we have no idea how many they took but we know they took Galna (however you spell her name)

Asgard Thorin: On the blood feud point, I take it that blood feuds survive the individuals first involved, hence (in part) why they're blood feuds. A regular feud would end with one participant's death. Blood feuds are stronger, and can leave clans hostile to one another for decades.

As for the Aiel not abandoning the three-fold land... remember: the three-fold land was their punishment, and now their toh has been paid. When toh is paid in full, it is forgotten. The only Aiel who haven't paid their toh are the Shaido, and since the Last Battle is now over, it seems impossible for them to meet their toh (barring waiting seven thousand years or so). Blood feuds aside, it's entirely possible that the other Aiel might help them try to meet their toh by dancing the spears with them (since that was, in part, how the Aiel were to meet their toh in the first place).

As Durinax said, Rand has been forgiven because he is like a child: he does not know any better due to his wetlander origins. The other Aiel expected the Shaido to behave better, to know better than to throw a child's tantrum when the Car'a'carn came and made his revelations. And they expected them to know better than to abandon so much of ji'e'toh, no matter what the Wise Ones said. If a clan chief or Wise Ones said gai'shain could now fight, that would not make it so: Aiel are expected to recognize right from wrong, and to act properly in all situations. When wrong actions are demanded of them, they have a duty to either refuse to perform them, or to accept the toh they would incur by doing them. The Shaido failed in all of these respects, and have incurred monstrous toh.

Which does not mean the Aiel in general want them dead. I'm not saying Sorilea would welcome Therava back with open arms-or at all-but the Aiel put up with a lot from Rand because he didn't know. The average Shaido didn't know that Couladin was a Forsaken-fopped bastard. And the Shaido Maidens must be given some credit. That said, I agree, the Shaido toh is monstrous, probably enough for the Aiel nation to forgive Cairhien outright and then some. It will be long, long, long years before whatever remains of the Shaido are included in the Dragon's Peace.

Just because the Aiel can leave the Three-Fold land now, doesn't mean they have to. They will populate Rhuidean in honor of the Jenn Aiel, the clan that is not. Some will of course stay in the main continent (Hawkwingia). Chiefs and Wise Ones will go to Rhuidean

• 2 weeks later...

Rand said it best in TFOH.  "Perhaps they would put on white just as calmly.  Yet he could not help remembering how easily these same people had violated their own laws and customs already.  Couladin might of begun the violation or ordered it, but they had followed and obeyed". 

Yet most of the Shaido and the Brotherless accepted the custom of taking wetlanders gaishan and broke other customs.

Rand said it best in TFOH.  "Perhaps they would put on white just as calmly.  Yet he could not help remembering how easily these same people had violated their own laws and customs already.  Couladin might of begun the violation or ordered it, but they had followed and obeyed". 

Yes, but they undoubtedly found themselves swept up in events. Possibly the ebb tide of Rand's ta'veren-ness. Couladin had to happen, so that the Shaido toh happened, so that... Perrin could make peace with Galad, along with many other things. Even if they weren't touched by a backlash, not everyone had Rand's courage in facing it. Only one Aiel had the courage of the car'a'carn.

But even the Brotherless who eventually came to their senses would have chosen to go back to the Waste instead of fighting the DO. That is and should be a major problem for the rest of the Aiel to accept. Also taveran stuff can't make them do things they wouldn't do even if it helps along the most unlikely.

@bfg,

"i think that one of the reasons they(aiel)forgave rand so much,

was partly because he hadn't been raised to their costums".

rand was law unto himself and did not regard himself bound by their rules and customs,

and to be fair,the aiel did know about his attitude towards them from the very beginning,he

never bothered to conceal it.

rand did arrive to the aiel waste to get an army not to become an aiel,his aiel "heritage"

meant very little to him,and although rand was half aiel and looked exactly like one,he was

andoran through and through.

post veins of gold epiphany rand's attitude changed even more,it was not about andor,aiel or

malkier anymore,he returned from dragonmount a complete ruler of all forces of light and in 

his mind everything became his domain i.e.my people,my land,my forces,my battles etc.

I always felt his having to into Rhudiean was sort of dumb since it would of been extremely unlikely he wouldn't return.  Seeing the Aiel following the way of the leaf might be hard to bear for Aiel but Rand being born outside might of been shocked but not to the point of OHH MY GOD I CAN'T  DEAL WITH THIS".  The running there and back had to be the toughest patrt to pass.  So I understand him going there because all chiefs have to but I don't see why anyone would be shocked someone who didn't grow up aiel would have a hard time accepting the aiel's past.

@Jack, hence why they were trying to get AVi and Rand together so he would feel something more for the Aiel then just a tool to be used.  He wanted the aiel army but also someone who would follow him not seeking power or to have their wealth increased because of Rand.  He wanted people who would willingly follow him simply because of who he was.  You are right about his change in attitude after his Dragonmount experience.  He came back realizing all the ways he was wrong to the Aiel and knew he had to make it up to them.  I would think though fighting the DO should get rid of a boatload of toh.

But even the Brotherless who eventually came to their senses would have chosen to go back to the Waste instead of fighting the DO. That is and should be a major problem for the rest of the Aiel to accept. Also taveran stuff can't make them do things they wouldn't do even if it helps along the most unlikely.

The only Brotherless who had discussed this were the ones in Malden. We have no idea how many of the Shaido there were Brotherless.

I always felt his having to into Rhudiean was sort of dumb since it would of been extremely unlikely he wouldn't return.  Seeing the Aiel following the way of the leaf might be hard to bear for Aiel but Rand being born outside might of been shocked but not to the point of OHH MY GOD I CAN'T  DEAL WITH THIS".  The running there and back had to be the toughest patrt to pass.  So I understand him going there because all chiefs have to but I don't see why anyone would be shocked someone who didn't grow up aiel would have a hard time accepting the aiel's past.

@Jack, hence why they were trying to get AVi and Rand together so he would feel something more for the Aiel then just a tool to be used.  He wanted the aiel army but also someone who would follow him not seeking power or to have their wealth increased because of Rand.  He wanted people who would willingly follow him simply because of who he was.  You are right about his change in attitude after his Dragonmount experience.  He came back realizing all the ways he was wrong to the Aiel and knew he had to make it up to them.  I would think though fighting the DO should get rid of a boatload of toh.

He had to go to learn the Aiel past, so he could reveal it. Remember, his key emotion during the experience was surprise. How could these people be Aiel? The Pattern ensured he would survive by making sure he was raised outside the Waste.

The only Brotherless who had discussed this were the ones in Malden. We have no idea how many of the Shaido there were Brotherless.

(pretty sure that) The last we see of the Shaido Wise Ones is of them sending runners to find the rest of the Shaido and tell them to head back to the Waste.  So the Brotherless that come to their senses return to the Waste instead of joining their clans, the Shaido and those left with them also return to the Waste, thus missing the Last Battle.  This is going to be difficult for the rest of the Aiel to accept or forgive.

EDITED TO ADD: Also every Aiel has heard the truth about their past, and are aware that the majority of Clan Chiefs and Wise Ones agree and accept that Rand was telling the truth.  That means the Shaido and Brotherless chose to believe the lie, then proceeded to break ji e toh in several other ways as well.

(pretty sure that) The last we see of the Shaido Wise Ones is of them sending runners to find the rest of the Shaido and tell them to head back to the Waste.  So the Brotherless that come to their senses return to the Waste instead of joining their clans, the Shaido and those left with them also return to the Waste, thus missing the Last Battle.  This is going to be difficult for the rest of the Aiel to accept or forgive.

EDITED TO ADD: Also every Aiel has heard the truth about their past, and are aware that the majority of Clan Chiefs and Wise Ones agree and accept that Rand was telling the truth.  That means the Shaido and Brotherless chose to believe the lie, then proceeded to break ji e toh in several other ways as well.

Yeah, but we don't need to see the Shaido after Malden. That doesn't mean they were untouched by the Last Battle. And what happens when the Shaido clan chief (the new one) comes out of the columns, absolutely livid with the surviving Wise Ones for getting swept along by Sevanna. We know Sevanna had some opposition (the Wise One whose murder they blamed on Galina). If the Shaido survive (and I can see large numbers of Brotherless heading to the Blight to die fighting) the other Aiel wouldn't go far out of their way to render them extinct. I think. Nor would they go out of their way to help them much. But if the Shaido got a new clan chief, one who admitted that the car'a'carn was Rand, and one who admitted his people had toh, the Wise Ones would persuade the chiefs to not call for blood feud, at least until after Tarmon Gaidon. Once the chief admitted that toh, and the Wise Ones-corrupted were gone, then it would be a matter of meeting the toh. I doubt the Shaido would be worth declaring blood feud over, i.e. the other clans wouldn't call blood feud because there would be no honor in attacking a clan that weakened. It could go either way, I s'pose, but  that's how I see it. Still, if they survive it'll be centuries before they are trusted to uphold the Dragon's Peace. 

@sabio,

"hence why they were trying to get avi and rand together".

trying to get aviendha and rand together?well,that's an understatement.

short of chaining both of them together,the wise ones did everything in their power to impose aviendha on rand.lol.

for the record,i completely agree with you,aviendha was supposed to be a spy/teacher(and she did take her teaching

job very seriously),but in my opinion,the wise ones real intention behind this move was to create empathy towards the aiel.

in other words,the aiel are real people,not just chess pieces on rand's chessboard.

Yeah, but we don't need to see the Shaido after Malden. That doesn't mean they were untouched by the Last Battle. And what happens when the Shaido clan chief (the new one) comes out of the columns, absolutely livid with the surviving Wise Ones for getting swept along by Sevanna. We know Sevanna had some opposition (the Wise One whose murder they blamed on Galina). If the Shaido survive (and I can see large numbers of Brotherless heading to the Blight to die fighting) the other Aiel wouldn't go far out of their way to render them extinct. I think. Nor would they go out of their way to help them much. But if the Shaido got a new clan chief, one who admitted that the car'a'carn was Rand, and one who admitted his people had toh, the Wise Ones would persuade the chiefs to not call for blood feud, at least until after Tarmon Gaidon. Once the chief admitted that toh, and the Wise Ones-corrupted were gone, then it would be a matter of meeting the toh. I doubt the Shaido would be worth declaring blood feud over, i.e. the other clans wouldn't call blood feud because there would be no honor in attacking a clan that weakened. It could go either way, I s'pose, but  that's how I see it. Still, if they survive it'll be centuries before they are trusted to uphold the Dragon's Peace. 

It's not clear whether the new clan chief will have made it through the columns before Avi changed them.  Either way it doesn't matter, the Aiel each had a choice individually to believe Rand or not, they knew that the majority of the Wise Ones and Clan Chiefs sided with rands version of events, and each had the option between staying with their Clan or joining their Society, as proven both by the Brotherless and the Shaido Maidens that joined Rand.  A Shaido Chief coming out and saying 'yup we got that wrong' isn't going to make any difference to the choice that they made. 

And the issue of toh.  The Aiel had to fight in the Last Battle to 'pay back' their toh for abandoning the Way of the Leaf, the Shaido will never be able to pay this back (even if (and it's a big if) they made it to the Blight in time to fight outlier battles, fighting outlier battles isn't what they were needed to do), so may never be able to rejoin the rest of the Aiel.  Indeed it seems that the remaining Aiel have moved on, their purpose has changed while the Shaido are back where they were with no real possibility of it changing.  This marks a separation almost as complete as the split between the Aiel and the Way of the Leaf, except the Shaido become the counter to the Jenn Aiel.

But I suspect you're right, the Aiel won't bother to hunt them down, nor do I see any sort of reconciliation between them.

I can see the Shaido basically having the fate of the Aiel Avi saw when she went back to Rhuidean.  They will basically become extinct easy pickings for the Seachan or whoever.  Its hard to say simply because they were willing to go to war with the Seachean to get the wise ones back even though they were Shaido and had broken aiel laws and customs.  So in some ways they still see them as Aiel.  But reconcilation in my opinion would be nearly impossible since they created a blood feud with basically ever Aiel clan out there.  The entire clan would basically have to put on white to try and work off the Toh they have to the entire aiel nation.  The biggest issue the Shaido have is as Rand said Couladin might of started them down the road to breaking custom but every shaido and brotherless willingly broke their own customs.  Even through it all the clan chiefs were truly surprised when it dawned on them that the Shaido had forsaken Jiet'toh.

@BFG, LOl I can see a Shaido clan chief (if they will even be allowed to send one) to Rhudiean and him coming out and saying "OHHH OUR BAD, WHOOPS DO WE FEEL SILLY". 

It's not clear whether the new clan chief will have made it through the columns before Avi changed them.  Either way it doesn't matter, the Aiel each had a choice individually to believe Rand or not, they knew that the majority of the Wise Ones and Clan Chiefs sided with rands version of events, and each had the option between staying with their Clan or joining their Society, as proven both by the Brotherless and the Shaido Maidens that joined Rand.  A Shaido Chief coming out and saying 'yup we got that wrong' isn't going to make any difference to the choice that they made. 

And the issue of toh.  The Aiel had to fight in the Last Battle to 'pay back' their toh for abandoning the Way of the Leaf, the Shaido will never be able to pay this back (even if (and it's a big if) they made it to the Blight in time to fight outlier battles, fighting outlier battles isn't what they were needed to do), so may never be able to rejoin the rest of the Aiel.  Indeed it seems that the remaining Aiel have moved on, their purpose has changed while the Shaido are back where they were with no real possibility of it changing.  This marks a separation almost as complete as the split between the Aiel and the Way of the Leaf, except the Shaido become the counter to the Jenn Aiel.

But I suspect you're right, the Aiel won't bother to hunt them down, nor do I see any sort of reconciliation between them.

I can see the Shaido basically having the fate of the Aiel Avi saw when she went back to Rhuidean.  They will basically become extinct easy pickings for the Seachan or whoever.  Its hard to say simply because they were willing to go to war with the Seachean to get the wise ones back even though they were Shaido and had broken aiel laws and customs.  So in some ways they still see them as Aiel.  But reconcilation in my opinion would be nearly impossible since they created a blood feud with basically ever Aiel clan out there.  The entire clan would basically have to put on white to try and work off the Toh they have to the entire aiel nation.  The biggest issue the Shaido have is as Rand said Couladin might of started them down the road to breaking custom but every shaido and brotherless willingly broke their own customs.  Even through it all the clan chiefs were truly surprised when it dawned on them that the Shaido had forsaken Jiet'toh.

@BFG, LOl I can see a Shaido clan chief (if they will even be allowed to send one) to Rhudiean and him coming out and saying "OHHH OUR BAD, WHOOPS DO WE FEEL SILLY". 

I can see such a clan chief trading Shaido Wise Ones to Shara for Cairhienin. I doubt Aviendha's awakening the second phase of the glass columns would prevent Bendhuin (or whomever) from becoming a clan chief. The Aiel would still see the past the first time. The second time, the potential future. And just because we don't see the Shaido, doesn't mean they didn't accept that Couladin was a fraud before Rand went to Shayol Ghul. But the other Aiel would have a reason to keep the Shaido around regardless; training. They can, and will for the foreseeable future, be able to raid the Shaido. The people of Suladric get to become the Dragon's Punching-Bag.for the other ten, eleven clans, at least once their numbers recover. The other clans are all at Dragon's Peace with each other.

I wonder what happens the first time a Brotherless goes through the glass columns.... Eventually some of the Brotherless/Shaido must come to realise Couladin was a fraud. Admitting such a toh would gain much respect, I think. At least for a common Aiel. Therava and her minions? Pssffph! They are most certainly doomed.

I suspect that the columns no longer show the past, for the majority of Aiel it would be pointless as the past is no longer some big surprise, they've accepted it and paid their toh

Archived