DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What board games do you play?

JenniferL

When I was in grad school one of my housemates collected games. Yes, he really did, and had enough that he had to catalog them :) But there were some supergreat ones that I would never have heard of otherwise!

Survive! and yes, he gave me his posh version (the rare one) as a birthday present. It's great because it is supersimple, and it's all about screwing over your fellow players.

Zombies another great screw over your neighbor game, but with zombies!!! and slightly more complicated rules. Fun expansion packs though.

Munchkin It's a card game more than a board game, but it pokes fun at D&D and Magic and the like. Hilarious.

I love Munchkin.

True story. My family bought the Survivor (TV show) board game and we played it for New Years and few years back. My not quite husband was very nervous about playing with us as my family can be very brutal. We formed up our teams and had to quickly eliminate my mother for her obnoxious behavior. She didn't want to play, saying she couldn't vote against her loved ones, so she kept accusing Segurant of having a thick, chinese accent (he is American-born Chinese) and purposely voting in silly ways.

After about an hour, Seggie and I were the last two. My family had to vote on which of us would win. To a man, they all voted for Seggie. Keep in mind what my mother said earlier.

It was very interesting playing. We pretty much avenged every grudge we carried for the last twenty years. I only made it to the final round, because I was the only one who had moved out so far, so I didn't have any recent grudges. However, my dad tried to vote me out every round because he was pissed that we chose to spend Christmas with Seggie's family that year.

Never ever play Survivor against your family. They will murder you.

My family LOVES boardgames! we have a closet that's bursting with them. Some of my favorites are:

Apples to Apples

Clue

Taboo

Scene It!

Disney Trivial Pursuit

Balderdash

Catch Phrase

My family can be brutal too. No survivor stories, but we still give my mom a hard time about Clue...maybe eight or nine years ago we were playing and the rest of my family had guessed wrong. So mom was the only one left...she guessed wrong too!! She CLAIMS that she knew the answer but said it wrong...but we still tell everyone that she can't win at Clue even if she's the only one playing.

Axis and Allies (though the Axis never wins so it gets old after a while if you don't change the rules slightly, unless someone new is playing as the allies)

Risk (I usually use some in house rules which make this faster and more enjoyable)

Chess

Trivial Pursuit

Sequence

Never tried Apples to Apples, but Bob and Sheri on the radio really like it so I should sometime...

I just bought Settlers and I'm really trying to get a group to play with me so I can learn it! lol!

Also, I love Monopoly and a Chinese game called MahJong, (which is NOT the tile-matching game online that is mis-named Mah-Jong. That game is really called 'Shanghai.') Mah-Jong is more like Rummy, and old men play it to gamble money in the Buddhist temples all over Chinatown! :P

Also' date=' I love [b']Monopoly[/b] and a Chinese game called MahJong, (which is NOT the tile-matching game online that is mis-named Mah-Jong. That game is really called 'Shanghai.') Mah-Jong is more like Rummy, and old men play it to gamble money in the Buddhist temples all over Chinatown! :P

haha that is good to know... my mom used to play the tile-matching game, so I was confused when my friend told and showed me pics of his aunt playing mahjong with the Thailand's PM's wife... I wondered "how in the world do you make that a two-person game?" It all makes sense now! hehe

Archived