DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Green Ajah Animal Appreciation Week]. Animal Cruelty Discussion

Luciena

Do you think there's a difference between having animals in a circus vs a zoo? Have you ever seen signs of animals being unhappy in a circus? Do you think there are steps that can be taken to improve their lives? Have you ever been to an animal-free circus?

I have a big problem with large animals being used in circuses. They are mistreated and forced to live very unnatural lives purely for the entertainment of human beings. I do not go to circuses and will not take my son to one either. I think the only way to improve these animals' lives would be to take them out of the circus.

I feel differently about zoos. I don't really care for the animals being confined to such small spaces when in the wild they would have much larger territories. However, the zoo does attempt to give the animal the environment it needs and does breeding programs to keep endangered species in the world. They seem to take very good care of the animals. I took my son to the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans this past summer and we were able to see lots of animals that we've never seen before. We enjoyed having the opportunity to see all of those beautiful animals but it still made me a little sad to see them in enclosures like that.

Not just elephants alone, but endangered species like tigers and lions also get abused. They are forced to jump through rings of fire and squeeze through narrow objects for our entertainment. But have we wondered how many times they get bruised, burned, poked and prodded before they master this. And if they are hurt or just get old, they are cruelly abandonded or just put down. And they are confined to enclosures which are horrrible for them. 

Zoos too have animals in cages, but atleast have bigger environments which are likened to their natural habitats. Animals are taken care of better, looked after, fed and treated regularly. So even though its no different at least provides something better for the animals.

I have been active in getting rid of elephants first, and then other exotic animals, in cirkuses here in Norway. The elephant the text tells about, Baba, she travels in Norway. She is the only truly exotic animal that circus has, while the other one has an elephant + camels or dromedars (can't remember at the top of my head wich). We came *this* close to getting it through. And then the stupid agriculture minister said "nah, I don't think so" last year. I attented a demo this summer, outside the other circus (not Baba's, the other). I have witnessed first hand the unnatural behaviour of the elephants when they stand in their pens before the show, rocking back and forth, dull-eyed. It breaks my heart.

I have been to circuses without animals; both Circus Cirkör and CirkVOST, wich is new-circus with acrobats and great shows. To me, it's way more entertaining to see thw wonderful acrobats flying around in the air, versus seeing animals get pushed and prodded around a ring doing things that are awfully unnatural to them.

Zoo's are better, without zoo's, a lot of endangered species would be lost from our planet. And I think a zoo does way more to make children learn about and appreciate all the wonderful animals on our earth.

Thats excellent work Mish! I only wish I could take part in something like that. Circuses and fairs that perform devoid of animals are indeed a good subject to this cause as they do not put the animals through misery. There are many interesting acts like acrobats, stunt drivers, magic tricks. I say what happened to regular old clowns? But then most people don't realise the fact that these animals are suffering while going through their acts. When they see lions jumping through rings of fire, or elephants balancing on a ball or chimps and gorillas riding motorcycles, they don't understand the fact that these animals maybe forced to go through this. That they have endured grueling torture and pain for this and maybe starved for weeks end on. 

A major issue that must be addresed is awareness. People must know that our entertainment, our luxury, products and goods come at the misery and lifes of other animals who equally share this planet with us. 

More than zoos, I would prefer wildlife sanctuary or parks because these places are built in or themed after there natural habitats where they are allowed to rome free. When I visited a wildlife park recently the animals were free and roaming while its us observers who have to keep to the track. And so they are not disturbed in their homes and endangered species can be allowed to repopulate again. In zoos, I have seen handlers treating the animals poorly, children throwing rocks and after all they still are confined to cages. I myself have seen on a occasion, a person poking the outstrectched hand of a chimp with a cigarette butt. 

So I myself feel, either their habitats or wildlife sanctuary or parks.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived