DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

On the Mysterious Appearance of the Dragon's Fang

alokov

Soo, this isn't about AMOL but I thought I'd best put ti here to be safe, that way people could feel free to put spoilers in their replies, as the answer to the question may well require reference to AMOL.

So, what does it mean that the Dragon's Fang showed up in the stained glass window in Tel'aihranrhiod in TOM?

I've only got one theory, and it's a very thin one. Maybe it was reflecting the future. The problem with that, of course, is that the Towers don't unite, which leads you to think "possible future." This is kind of born out by how TARR works, especially towards the end of the series. Another potential problem is that ther Wise ONes didn't know what it was and I would think if this is the reason then it would've happened before and if so they would know about it. Perhaps I'm misremembering and Egwene doesn't even tell them.

And then, of course, there's Egwene's theory that it is a reflection of a parallel world but there seems to be less evidence for that than the previous theory.

Usually when I have a question like this there's an obvious answer I've missed so I expect that's the case here.

I don't know. Maybe it does indicate something about the future or a possible future. The towers are not united, but it's certain they will start to work together more in the future. There are a lot of Asha'man bonded to Aes Sedai and vice versa, and some of them seem to get along, especially Pevara and Androl. It might have been more symbolic than an actual view of the Tower itself in the future or whatever.

Well, I don't think a mirror world where the dragon's fang is associated with the Saidar-users Tower would be THAT different otherwise. So I'm not opposed to the idea of a mirror world, though one where the 'White Tower' houses Saidin users might be a bit weirder.

Doesn't seem like there's much point from a literary standpoint to show us the fang unless it's referencing an world where Aes Sedai and Asha'man work together.  I'd say that's what it is.

Then why wasn't it the original sign of the Aes Sedai (the combined flame of Tar Valon/Dragon's fang)?

• 2 weeks later...

@rhienne,

i completely agree with aleator77,the two ancient symbols showing up together

in the stained glass window is an indication of the future.

min told rand something similar in bandar eban:" i see an inn there with the mark

of the dragon's fang inlaid on it's door.no longer a symbol of darkness or hate.a sign

of victory and hope."

and to answer you question,the original aes sedai sign in the age of legends was in

fact the dragon fang along with the flame of tar valon.

only after the breaking of the world,the dragon's fang has taken on an evil meaning.

@rhienne,

i completely agree with aleator77,the two ancient symbols showing up together

in the stained glass window is an indication of the future.

min told rand something similar in bandar eban:" i see an inn there with the mark

of the dragon's fang inlaid on it's door.no longer a symbol of darkness or hate.a sign

of victory and hope."

and to answer you question,the original aes sedai sign in the age of legends was in

fact the dragon fang along with the flame of tar valon.

only after the breaking of the world,the dragon's fang has taken on an evil meaning.

The Aes Sedai symbol of the Age of Legends was the fang and flame united in a circle. What Egwene saw was the flame and below it the fang.

As for Asha'man and Aes Sedai working together, that's possible but we know from Brandon that they stay seperate.

As for Asha'man and Aes Sedai working together, that's possible but we know from Brandon that they stay seperate.

Actually he said they wouldn't become AS(as in the current format of AS)...

Kamarile Sedai

Did men start to use the Oath Rod too, or did it continue to be only women?

Brandon Sanderson

No men. Neither group would like that. The Asha'man are NOT male Aes Sedai. RJ was clear about this in the notes.

Keith Martin

Will the White and Black Towers reunite to form one Aes Sedai again?

Brandon Sanderson

RJ was clear to me that the Asha'man were not Aes Sedai, and were not going to become them.

Brandon Sanderson

That said, a united male/female Aes Sedai will come again someday.

Actually he said they wouldn't become AS(as in the current format of AS)...

Kamarile Sedai

Did men start to use the Oath Rod too, or did it continue to be only women?

Brandon Sanderson

No men. Neither group would like that. The Asha'man are NOT male Aes Sedai. RJ was clear about this in the notes.

Keith Martin

Will the White and Black Towers reunite to form one Aes Sedai again?

Brandon Sanderson

RJ was clear to me that the Asha'man were not Aes Sedai, and were not going to become them.

Brandon Sanderson

That said, a united male/female Aes Sedai will come again someday.

....I don't get it. Isn't that what I said?

Archived