DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is there something wrong with me X_X

EmperorAllspice

I just... everywhere I turn I see people cheering on heroes and enjoying watching the villains suffer and it just confuses the hell out of me.

It gets to the point where I can't talk to people about something because they'll always try to drag it back to all the badass things the heroes do...

I have no idea what to do. 0_0

Ever since I saw Death Note. Even before then antagonists were always my favourite characters in the vast majority of things that I watched. But since then I started to find that watching heroes being badass (with a handful of exceptions like Allen Walker in D.Gray Man and Applejack in MLP) really annoys me and I enjoy seeing the good guys be defeated and outsmarted and made to suffer.

I can tolerate heroes having awesome moments but rarely do I ever enjoy them. Being potent isn't what being a hero is in my books. It's taking all the hardships and the defeats and going on in spite of them. And it's a villains job to show off and be badass. They're the threat. They're the danger. They are what need to be overcome.

Well, I got an idea for a book, and there'll be enough main characters suffering in it, as I start with 10-15, but only about 4 will survive until the last book to save the world. Oh, yeah, and they'll be battling each other all the time. Is that enough main character suffering for you?

Point is though, that they're more suffering to each other and to not being able to overcome some of the magic they encounter.

The point of a hero is to induce feelings by resonating with human truths and ideas. When I read a book or watch a movie, to a certain extent I experience what the characters experience and feel what they feel. When you begin to identify with the characters in that way, you don't want them to lose. You want them to push through the struggle, to come out on top, to pull off tons of BA stuff that you wish you could do. You don't want them to lose, because you in turn will feel like you lost. Nobody likes losing.

This is all from my perspective and opinion, of course. People are unique, and no one else will see things quite the same way.

The point of a hero is to induce feelings by resonating with human truths and ideas. When I read a book or watch a movie, to a certain extent I experience what the characters experience and feel what they feel. When you begin to identify with the characters in that way, you don't want them to lose. You want them to push through the struggle, to come out on top, to pull off tons of BA stuff that you wish you could do. You don't want them to lose, because you in turn will feel like you lost. Nobody likes losing.

This is all from my perspective and opinion, of course. People are unique, and no one else will see things quite the same way.

That's honestly the problem with Darker Than Black that you encouraged me to watch. Hei needs to struggle more. Or rather, we need to SEE that he's struggling. Not have it just LOOK like he's struggling then revealing that he had the situation under control the whole time.

I hate it when that happens. I hate it SO much

And there's the problem. You can't be a hero if you die in the first fight with the enemy. You need abilities to survive that.

This. 

Spice, you can't expect to find the perfect character or story in a book. You need try and focus on the things you like in a story, and try to ignore the things you don't. 

I don't mind a hero being skiilled. It's when the hero is skilled an the story dwells on it. Rather than their struggle. The heroes I like are always struggling. Their skills just barely sufficient enough to overcome the next challenge. their enemies losing either because of personality foibles or because they lack will power or because of some higher antagonistic plan.

I do NOT want heroes to be useless. I merely don't like wading through fights where they're winning easily.

Also, my main problem is that I like having discussions with people. I like talking to people about the stuff I enjoy. Most people try to drag the focus of the conversation back to heroes. That's what most people enjoy. I can't ignore it when that's all people want to talk about.

Okay, let's talk about an awesome thing that Mogheiden does. Anyone. Anyone at all.

I know lots of people who watch Game Of Thrones. My favourite character in the book and the show is EASILY Tywin Lannister. I hate tyrion.

Do you have any idea how many people I've talked to have no idea who Tywin is and assume I'm talking about Tyrion. then use that as an excuse to gush about how cool he is?

And this is why I can't talk about AGOT with people :(

I know lots of people who watch Game Of Thrones. My favourite character in the book and the show is EASILY Tywin Lannister. I hate tyrion.

Do you have any idea how many people I've talked to have no idea who Tywin is and assume I'm talking about Tyrion. then use that as an excuse to gush about how cool he is?

And this is why I can't talk about AGOT with people :(

Dude, Tywin was a town PR in my Game of Thrones mafia game because of this. Anyone who thinks him a villain isn't paying attention to the series and underlying themes.

Yeah, he did some bad things to his son who everyone likes. That is from that characters perspective and, from all angles, that same character is warped and does horrid things. Tywin took the burden of responsibility and handled it damn well, then got crapped on by his family because his spoiled children wanted the fun of leadership, not the burdens.

And Eddard was foolish.

I was gunning for him to win. I don't mind using the term villain to describe him because for the most part he's an antagonist to the people who might be considered more conventonally good than the others.

Yes, I know the words vilain and antagonist are different. -__-

I'm not an idiot. I just know the kind of characters that I like.

I hate being told that I don't understand a series or it's "themes". So god damn annoying

I don't mind a hero being skiilled. It's when the hero is skilled an the story dwells on it. Rather than their struggle. The heroes I like are always struggling. Their skills just barely sufficient enough to overcome the next challenge. their enemies losing either because of personality foibles or because they lack will power or because of some higher antagonistic plan.

I do NOT want heroes to be useless. I merely don't like wading through fights where they're winning easily.

Also, my main problem is that I like having discussions with people. I like talking to people about the stuff I enjoy. Most people try to drag the focus of the conversation back to heroes. That's what most people enjoy. I can't ignore it when that's all people want to talk about.

Okay, let's talk about an awesome thing that Mogheiden does. Anyone. Anyone at all.

I thought it was great how she ripped Birgitte out of the world of dreams! just wish she could have done more with it..

Archived