DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Holy Mother of Skill Trees.

SinisterDeath

Looks like it, too. Except you can't replace weak nodes with better ones and you can't activate the entire thing on any one character. Conversely, it also doesn't look like you need items to actually cash in your exp, which is where FFX went all stupid (well, one item of many).

I read some of the other material on their site. Completely randomized dungeon layouts and item properties? That'll drive people crazy right quick.

Honestly, the way they describe it, it comes off as being like what Kingdoms of Amalur was shooting for with its gameplay and character building, but with way, way more depth.

If it's party-optional, or more specifically multiplayer-optional, I might actually give it a shot (provided my suckass graphics card can handle it). My only experience with MMOs is about a month with the F2P version of WoW last year, and the thing I hated most was other people.

Not even that much, just the presence of other people. Couldn't go anywhere in any city without half the screen filling up with speech bubbles full of acronyms and bad typing. People killstealing the last whatever on the map that you need for your quest, so wait five minutes for it to respawn. I distinctly remember one jerk who followed around people doing fishing so he could jump up and down on their line so they couldn't click on it. If there had been a way to play the game solo and offline, I'd have taken that.

Well that's why I liked DDO

I dunno about WoW but in DDO once you partied up and left the main city area you were alone with your party in "the wilderness" or a dungeon or wherever

But yeah an MMO that can be played by yourself is appealing

So far the closest thing gaming has ever seen like that IMO is the Elder Scrolls games

I keep poking around their site and I can't get a bead on if you actually can go it alone. It does say something about having a party on the game overview, but doesn't indicate if it's a necessity. I also don't see anything that even mentions how questing works in this game. That's what I liked most about Wow, that there were few standalone quests - even though the actual gameplay portions were standard tasks, they were usually part of their own little enclosed narratives. The ride with Sylvanas when you first meet her as a Forsaken really stood out for me.

• Community Administrator

Sounds like you'd better like a game like say..

Borderlanders than mmos in general. (hell, Diablo 3 if you can even stand the grind past another month. >_<)

I play rift, i don't have much issues wit hthe genearl populace. I'm apart of a raiding guild (kinda) and  really, the only thing thats keeping me playing it, is the group of people in said guild. Without those people, the game become stale and boring. (this is true, IMO of all mmos.) The people make hte game, not the game.

Don't want the people? i'd point out single player, or limited multiplayer/single player games. (like borderlanders 2/D3.. Witcher 2. minecraft!, skyrim. ect.)

I tried Rift, but I didn't get very far. I don't care what they say the capacity is of my comp's graphics card, if I'm only getting 3 FPS on the most basic settings, there's something very wrong.

I watched Youtube videos of Skyrim to see if I might want to play it, but I got tired of seeing the color grey.

• Community Administrator

I tried Rift, but I didn't get very far. I don't care what they say the capacity is of my comp's graphics card, if I'm only getting 3 FPS on the most basic settings, there's something very wrong.

I watched Youtube videos of Skyrim to see if I might want to play it, but I got tired of seeing the color grey.

Rift uses the same engine as skyrim. (well, kinda) low fps like that, is generally during 'zone events'. if its just going around, killing Wabbits..  well, Yea its your graphics card. :tongue:

Didn't you know, the color grey is the new pink?

This game seems relevant to my interests. Love the look of the Skill Tree. FFX, for me personally, had the best levelling system, which this is very similar to.

The only thing that puts me off is the almost birds-eye-view angle that you have to play the game at. I've never been very fond of that :/

This may sound odd but there's too much choice. The tree is staggering and daunting. There was a study before that found people are happier with less choice than giving them options for everything under the sun.

Also, I wonder what happens when you cheat and activate every single talent in the tree. Do you become god?!

Archived