DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin's Arc (Full Spoilers)

Luckers

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the 3, Perrin's arc was the most disappointing IMO.  As of the end of ToM he took a turn for the awesome, but he really kind of became useless in this last book.  I know he played a technically important part, but it was very underwhelming.

As for Lanfear...I really liked her plot and story despite wanting her to turn back to the Light.  The whole Perrin/Lanfear plot felt very rushed though.  I feel like if it had developed over the last 2 books it would have been dynamite.

I find Perrin vs Slayer battle in the wolf dream very exciting. Unfortunately, he became wounded and absent in the middle book, and while his concluding battle with Slayer was exciting, his confrontation with Lanfear was rather meh. Too rushed? Word count limitation?

Did Hopper come to the Horn?

If he did, Perrin didn't mention seeing him. So I would assume not. :-(

Argh. It just need one line to include Hopper as Hero.

"We meet again, Young Bull."

It is said many times if you die in TAR you die for good no being reborn so even if he was tied to the horn he couldn't have come because he is gone for good unfortunatly

Easily the most misused character in the last book.  Without Rand or Matt the Dark One wins and without Perrin there is just slayer...I really believe he should have been set up as the leader of the people after the last battle.  Mat to fight the battle, Rand to fight the Dark One and Perrin to forge the world afterwards.  So much had been put on him being a natural leader beloved of the common people, he was the perfect person to take over and lead people into the future.  He was respected by pretty much everyone in the Dragons peace and was one of the Dragon's most trusted friends.  

Instead, he was just a tool to kill Slayer, a character who should have been killed a book or two ago.  

I don't think his story line was bad, it just could have been much more.  

One thing I can't shake is my shock over Perin reaching out and snapping Lanfear's neck; one sentence and WHAM - you could see him doing it casually with one hand as well.

Also with Perin being able to shift to and from TAR he suddenly became very.. very dangerous.

Did anyone else notice some interesting things about the flashes of the battle at SG that Perrin was seeing while in TAR? The first time he saw them it was an Aiel fighting an Aiel, and that's before the red veils showed up, And at one point he sees a snake-like man?! Were all worlds battling the DO at that point?

Did anyone else notice some interesting things about the flashes of the battle at SG that Perrin was seeing while in TAR? The first time he saw them it was an Aiel fighting an Aiel, and that's before the red veils showed up, And at one point he sees a snake-like man?! Were all worlds battling the DO at that point?

Pretty much, yeah. We already knew if the DO breaks out in one world, he breaks out in all. And while he's imprisoned in one, he is imprisoned in all. It's paradox.

Anyway, at the end all the worlds merged into one. That's the reason gateways stopped working there. Shayol Ghul was multiple places, not one so the gateways wouldn't form. That's the reason Perrin could see other worlds in TAR.

I would have liked Lanfear's death to have been a little more drawn out as well. In all honesty though, I could not see a Perrin succeding if it had. It needed to be quick; it had to give Lanfear no time react.

Lanfear does have a great appearing and disspearing trick, but beside that I don't see what she can do to Perrin in TAR.  Perrin is stronger in TAR and he also learns to travel between TAR and real world without the OP. 

Her channeling would be completely useless...even Compulsion failed her.  Hand-to-hand, Perrin would break her like a twig. A battle of wills, I would wager on Perrin.

At the end, Perrin passes through the ter'angreal barrier like a boss and she complains of it. 

Perrin > Slayer >= Lanfear or Moghdien in TAR.

The more I think about it, the more Perrin's character really was wasted.  I really feel like Brandon messed his final arc up in this last book.  As someone else said, he was being setup to be the ultimate King and leader of men in the series, but we saw none of that.

The real issue with his arc that I feel was botched though was the entire theme of Perrin throughout the books has been his love for Faile and how NOTHING matters but Faile.  I get the sense that it was supposed to be a massive decision for him to abandon Faile and go do his thing with Rand, but that really wasn't highlighted much at all until the very end when he's looking for her.  I feel like he was supposed to be agonizing the entire time about Faile and his decision to help Rand over her.  Now I dont mean just him whining about Faile the entire last book, but I feel like the core of Perrin's arc should have been based on internal conflict and his decision to do his duty over staying with Faile.  And then you throw Lanfear into the mix and it really could have turned out to be an epic moment for him when he finally did his duty and protected Rand.  Instead we just have him casually blinking away Compulsion and snapping Lanfear's neck as if it were nothing.

Archived