DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Safety from enemies

mb

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best way to be safe from enemies?

• defense
    • offense
    • fleeing
    • hiding
    • espionage
    • infiltration
    • diplomacy
    • geography
    • allies
    • depends on something (specify the something)
    • other (please specify)
    • undecided

Depends on historical context, scale...

Country-wide speaking then historically geography is the most important (for reasons and examples stated above) but currently technology has broken the geography barrier (imo), so currently we're looking at allies or diplomacy as a means of preventing war and a combination of offence and defence if already at war.

On a personal scale then running and hiding may be effective, if you're able to cut ties at home. If not (then assuming your enemies have more power) then it's probably back to allies (likely the police or government) and defence.

I voted "allies". Most nations are so small and have so little military power that if several other nations ganged up on them (without the victims having allies of their own), then they're without any hope. Allies are the only way any but USA, and perhaps a handful of other nations, could have any hope.

Ozzie_aiel, I set up the poll as multiple choice.  If you are able to choose only 1, the problem might be the web browser you are using; and/or the web browser being an older version.

As for your other questions, the poll is non-specific; like I told in opening post.

Veracohr, not having enemies in the first place is probably easier said than done.  Pretty much everyone eventually gets at least 1 enemy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just voted.

Various fiction addresses this topic.

my votes::

It basically depends on the capabilities of both sides.

also 3 basic rules: know yourself (other), know your enemy (espionage), know the land (geography).

suggestions: get assistance whenever you can (ie get allies), protect your own (defense), settle differences with enemy if you can (diplomacy).

infiltration is often a good strategy; it can weaken the enemy's defenses and/or might help the enemy to agree with you.

another look at geography: sometimes the land can protect the people to some degree.  A good example of this might be Gondolin in the Silmarillion.

Mayene's (Wheel of Time series) tactic seems to be a good one; direct the enemy (Tear) toward someone else (Illian).

Archived