DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Biblical Origin of Trollocs?

Dagon Thyne

There is an ancient book called the Testament of Solomon, which features King Solomon summoning an army of demons, said to have the "Faces of asses, oxen, and birds".  With the religious basis of many of the things found in the Wheel of Time, could this be a basis of the trollocs? 

There are a lot of monsters built into them.

Just try to pronounce their tribes out loud, and you will hear goblin, efreet, djinn, deamon, kobold, devil, ect...  each one of the 12 bands is a modification of one ore more common monster told in fairy tales.

for more info see this:

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/creatures/trollocs/index.html

Yes, but they are not based on those monsters.  They do not match up to them when you give a physical disscription.  I am talk about what Trollocs are actually based on, in a general sense. 

The demons from the book of Solomon are literally human-animal hybrids, just like trollocs, and we already know that RJ used the bible, and other religious documents as basis for many things in the series, in addition to the Authurian legends.

There is also some similarities between trollocs and the Norwegian myths about trolls, while our trolls usually where not said to have animal heads they where inhuman and ugly, quite stupid and often where said to eat people. Also later the idea of a troll was mixed with the idea of a Hulder and Hulder do have animal features though not the head, rather they have a cow's tail. In fact the rather famous melody in Hall of the Mountain King is about a man being seduced by a Hulder maiden and going to see her father the Old Man of Dovre or the Mountain King and then all the little Hulder descend on him when he refuse to do the Dovre man's bidding. Now in many depictions the Dovre man is a troll but in fact in the original myths he is a Hulder, however anyway I am getting off tack here, my point is that trollocs have allot of the same qualities as trolls, and their name do sound like troll orcs so I do think that Jordan got some inspiration from over here in Norway as well.

Archived