A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Prologue Through End of Chapter 40

Luckers

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It reminds me of this quote from New Spring:

“It seems Ryne was wrong as well as a Darkfriend. You were better than he.”

Lan shook his head slightly. “He was better. But he thought I was finished, with only one arm. He never understood. You surrender after you’re dead.”

It reminded me of that too, of course. And Lan also says "surrender when you're dead" in the book. (I always liked "after" better, and have said so before, but oh well.) It's one of the things I was talking about in the Memories thread on the non-spoiler forum when I said that Brandon reuses a lot of RJ lines. Faile's Bela Memory was another one.

It reminded me of that too, of course. And Lan also says "surrender when you're dead" in the book. (I always liked "after" better, and have said so before, but oh well.) It's one of the things I was talking about in the Memories thread on the non-spoiler forum when I said that Brandon reuses a lot of RJ lines. Faile's Bela Memory was another one.

"Run, Bela," Faile said. "If you've kept any strength back, now is the time to use it. Please. Run, girl. Run."

That one mostly just reminded me of "Run, Forrest, run!" from Forrest Gump. :)

ha, it gets a bit more specific in the book. For example, it says "And Bela ran." Or maybe it was "And she ran." Can't remember, but it was obviously supposed to be a blatant reference.

I think I've found the original quote. It's from TEotW.

With all his heart and desperation he silently shouted at Bela to run like the wind, silently tried to will strength into her. Run! His skin prickled, and his bones felt as if they were freezing, ready to split open. The Light help her, run! And Bela ran.

Via Lan vs Demandred.  Also shades of course of book 2 and sheathing the sword.

The book also makes note of the fact that if Lan was at full strength vs trying to do this after 24 hours straight of fighting, it would have been even closer.

Bottom line, Lan was only slightly less skilled if that than Demandred but the fact that he was willing to die for his cause was the difference.

Also favorite line of the book:

"You know, that man is really starting to annoy me."

It took almost 180 pages for that payoff but it was worth it and hilarious.

Sorry, that wasn't supposed to be a big mystery. :D I want to provide a fuller quote, but I don't want to be the first one to post a real quote from the book (aside from Memories, lol).

That reminds me: there's only one Memory I'm really curious about. Who asks whom for someone's bond?

Silviana asks Egwene for Gawyn's bond, just before he dies. To protect the Amyrlin. (Of course Egwene declined.)

I take it he dies because of the bloodknives rings?

He has always annoyed me, dont tell me he dies doing something completely stupid?

Silviana asks Egwene for Gawyn's bond, just before he dies. To protect the Amyrlin. (Of course Egwene declined.)

He has always annoyed me, dont tell me he dies doing something completely stupid?

He kinda does but his heart was in right place. And he distracts Demandred enough that it does save a few lives.

He kinda does but his heart was in right place. And he distracts Demandred enough that it does save a few lives.

He sort of turned out more Galad than Galad I think

Geez Demandred sounds like he was in everything, almost a show stealer, at least from Moridin anyway

Via Lan vs Demandred. Also shades of course of book 2 and sheathing the sword.

The book also makes note of the fact that if Lan was at full strength vs trying to do this after 24 hours straight of fighting, it would have been even closer.

Bottom line, Lan was only slightly less skilled if that than Demandred but the fact that he was willing to die for his cause was the difference.

Also favorite line of the book:

"You know, that man is really starting to annoy me."

It took almost 180 pages for that payoff but it was worth it and hilarious.

So can we infer from this statement that it Lan who takes out Demanded and that LAN also survives?

Edited because my original post was missing my response/typo.

Yep

just wondering why demandred doesnt just take lan out with the one power? was it an honour thing?

It was a "Lan wearing a copy of the foxhead medallion" thing.

that is cool, speaking of foxheads, i hope Daved Hanlon gets whats coming to him?

Archived