DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Kin Quilt

dapianoplay3r

As promised a new thread for this

The Plan

To make a group quilt from patches from all the Kins members and maybe some other DM people if they are keen

How we do it

1. We all send a set number of squares to someone who sews them all and posts a picture

(cost low, involvement low [except for the seamstress])

2. We start with one person who gets a line to do. They sew them together then mail it to the next person. That person then does the same and so on.

(cost medium [depending on the number of people involved], involvement high, + we can sneak in presents and stuff )

3. ???

So any thoughts or plans

1. Dap

2. Ryrin

3. Lor

I think option #1 would have a higher rate of success, simply because of how heavy it's going to get and how much that would cost, especially in international mail.

That being said, when I was a Green a million years ago, we did a traveling journal that was a lot of fun. Each person kept the journal for a month and added something to the box it was shipped in. We could do something like that, too, separate from this, if you want...

I say squares because we can adjust the size based on participation easier that way.

That sounds like a cool idea. Women's shelter or kids' home. We have a place here that does both. I'm sure we're not alive there. If we get a lot of squares together, we could probably do a few of them and scatter them around...

Ok peeps..sounds cool and all..and the Crafter's Guild did one a couple years ago..but it was crocheted hexagons of all things..LOL! All the hex's were sent to one individual one offered to hehok them together..and it was given as a gift to Harriet.

Now..say everyone did a 5x5 or 10x10 square of fabric..that could have embroidery, painting, piece work or whatever you wanted to do on your square..and that square was sent to our seamstress to put them together. We would still need to purchase the batting, and the fabric for a backing, thread and any other notions deemed needed by our seamstress.

An other option would be to send one fancy button, and then four just plain round buttons to tie the quilt with!

What to do with it? well...why not raffle it off, selling chances from Feb until the end of July..for a buck a piece or whatever..with the money sent to a project treasurer to deposit in the Kin Fund. The money could help to pay the cost of shipping and materials.

It could even be that we could involve other orgs, by asking them to donate either the backing fabric, the batting or money to defray the cost of making and mailing it..so all the ticket sales would go to the disease fund. Drawing the winning ticket at D*Con in Sept and announcing who it is. Of course having the quilt on display at dcon and selling the last minute chances there....*giggles* just a thought..

journal would be like a huge round robin letter then? maybe not a whole month..two weeks or they get forgotten and lost....

We could put it in the silent auction at JordanCon, too. I didn't think of it that way and then we wouldn't have to pay shipping! WHOO-HOO!!  The WoT doesn't have a track at D*Con, anymore, so there's not as much of a draw there. :( 

And yeah, but we can start ANOTHER THREAD for a journal/pass around idea (I'm just excited about starting so many projects... sorry 'bout the caps.. *grins*)! 

You do bring up good points with the batting and backing and actually quilting the thing, though. We can collect $$ in the Kin fund for that... ? 

As long as you can find an old quilt that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, anyway. Around here, those things are worth a fortune! The older they are, the more expensive they are! It's usually cheaper to buy the batting! 

batting is usually cheaper to buy it an does make a nicer quilt..and you can choose the loft you want then as well....

well...if we sell chances on the quilt to be drawn we could payfor the backing and batting from that and the thread. Actually the backing fabric will be the most expensive piece to buy.

Now..I can sew the darn thing...as long as we aren't doing a real fancy pattern..just sewing the blocks into strips with perhaps a strip between them.depending on how many we get..and the xize we decide on. BUT...the blocks would have to ALL be mailed to me no later th?an June 15th. And as soon as I have enough blocks for one strip...I would sew it then..so mailing them the sooner the better! I sldo would not machine quilt the thing..but hand tie it with the buttons.

If anyone else would like to sew it...please please do! lol

Also timing would depend on if it is sold at Jordon.con or D*Con......when is jordon .con lor

I'm new around here, but historically, women used to do what were called "potholder" quilts for fundraisers and such.  Squares were completely assembled like pot holders, then stitched together at a group function or by one person when all done.  The potholder size are portable and being self-contained, they avoid all the questions about batting and backing and such.  Here's a book which shows how to do these: http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Quilts-Pam-Weeks/dp/0764339362

That sounds like something we could do, Duchess! (Please tell me you're joining us here in the Kin! I can tell in one post that you're perfect for us! Crafts and History all wrapped up together!!!)  I really like the fact that it takes batting and backing out of the equation! Just stitch the squares together and you're done! 

JordanCon is April 19th-21st this year, Twinny, so I doubt we'll get it put together in time for that. Unless we set a pretty close deadline, of course, but if anyone is participating overseas (pianoman, for example!), the time it'll take in the mail will be much longer. The good thing about putting it in the Auction @ JordanCon is that all of the proceeds would go to the Mayo Clinic for research. We won't have money sitting around or extra money being owed.. that'll just be the end of it!  Time will also depend on how many folks are participating. If there are only 6 of us, we'll either have to do a few squares each or just have a really small quilt. 

sounds good but i am confused, (of course) I went to the link but didn't see how they are made. I don't have kindle..have a Nook Color. How do you sew it together? there would still be seam lines on one side or is hand sewn which leaves me out in the cold! lol I do like jordon.con better than d*con. That would leave this year out..which could be beneficial in getting more squares and more folks involved. Lots of student type people would have time during summer break to play too.

Also..the raffle idea is not good? and would be a straight forward item at the silent auction? I like that idea too..less work and confusion with collecting money. Taking longer though...the key will be keeping the momentum up on it.

It also might be good tpo have a general theme..like the squares can be whatever..but relate somehow the wot series or dm. Also each person should sign thier square in like the bottom right corner.

Just letting my brain ramble here, Using the potholder size would mean we need a lot more squares. Also am thinking most people will want a full size or larger quilt. We would also need to all use the same loft of batting. And to add some cohesivness..everyone use the same backing color in general. LOL after all there are countless shades of red, blue, green etc...which in itself would look cool! And it might not be bad idea to have a general theme...like WoT, or your Happy Place etc...and have each person sign thier square in the bottom right corner....as I said..just things to think about.

And Duchess darling...you MUST come join us! I can just tell you are a Kinster!!

ok..sorry for the repeated ideas..have my post disappeared while i was writing and had to rewrite it...*rolls eyes*

there was one other idea though...we could do a test run to see if this will work and do a small lap quilt for jordon'con this year. Using the 12x12 squares..we would need about 20, tht would make approximatly a 4x5 foot quilt. Or a quilt 15 squares, and add 4 three inch strips separating the squares and still have the same size quilt. again just another idea...

I think it would look kind of neat for the back to be all different colors, actually. Back it in your sash color would be fun and personal! Then you could autograph the back of it, as big as you want and the back would be a collage of colors and signatures. :) Maybe I'm partial, but I would totally buy that! ;) 

15 squares would work, perhaps a square from each book and one for the series in the center (I'm including New Spring, which would be 14 books)? 

PS- We could probably make this our off topic Social Faire thread, too... *ponders* Get more people involved that way... 

The Social Faire is a Social Group- wide collection of threads up in the general area where each group shows off how awesome they are. You know how badly I suck at tooting my own horn, so coming up with ideas for an on-topic and an off-topic thread are like to be the death of me. I need all the help I can get. However, if one of those threads is this quilt... *ponders*

sorry love, but that didn't tell me a whole lot. * chews bottom lip*

Does that mean that the quilt would take sumbmissions from all of the members of social groups?

just a thought since I haven't been here for any of this before..did I really miss two years? damn!

Anyway, the Kin have always been storytellers too....or at least we were.

Archived