DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tuon Channels in KOD

mauifranko78

Well it indicates that they are relatively simple, if you look at the real world however there is a number of technologies for example which is done needlessly complex at first so assuming artifacts in WoT can have the same flaws it could be complex for all we know, but given that all it do is force someone into a link, and a few added security precautions, this is probably not the case and it is probably rather simple.

One related question, since a circle protect the participants from burning themselves out do that mean that someone in an a'dam is safe from burning themselves out as well?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would assume so. Otherwise, a damane could, once given her head and told to weave something, could draw more Saidar than they can safely hold, in a hope to die or be burned out.  Since we haven't heard anything about this, we have to assume either it is not possible or that the sul'dam know of the possibility and watch for it. Since the a'dam is really a link, I assume that most laws of a link still exist, such as the safety buffer.

One thought, there can only be one leader of a circle, yes? Then why can the male a'dam be used by two women? Remember that the male can fight back and potentially dominate the females, but that this can be partially prevented by sharing control with another woman, though the two have to work flawlessly together. So, either it is not a link, or that "rule" of linking isn't really a hard law.  Maybe to split control of a circle without the bracelets requires such a fine control that it is not possible without an aid.  How can two people both surrender control and hold on to the control at the same time? And how can the two match the amount of "control effort" (for lack of a better term) in order to perfectly balance? The male a'dam force this balance, or are not true links. Since it offers much more control over the man, perhaps it is not a link, but more of a compulsion/mind control.

The Seanchan can make a'dam. They are not a remnant of the AoL. An Aes Sedai on Seanchan invented them sometime after Luthar Pendrag landed and took control. This Aes Sedai was then later leashed herself.

So, based on the fact that a post-breaking Aes Sedai invented it, and that they are reproduced by Seanchan, and then easily figured out by Elayne, says that they are relatively simple.

I don't believe its simple just because its the most common. The seanchan dont know what terangreal are, they just know its a leash for marath damane. given enough time and incentive, some talented damane could prob make her own terangreal. It may be simple, i just don't think thats proof - we don't know when the Talent for making terangreal was lost, but its possible that it survived the trolloc wars and was lost in the chaos following the collapse of Hawkwings empire.

We do know that even given the trolloc wars and post-Hawkwing, the Aes Sedai still managed to hold together as a unit. 

I would assume so. Otherwise, a damane could, once given her head and told to weave something, could draw more Saidar than they can safely hold, in a hope to die or be burned out.  Since we haven't heard anything about this, we have to assume either it is not possible or that the sul'dam know of the possibility and watch for it. Since the a'dam is really a link, I assume that most laws of a link still exist, such as the safety buffer.

One thought, there can only be one leader of a circle, yes? Then why can the male a'dam be used by two women? Remember that the male can fight back and potentially dominate the females, but that this can be partially prevented by sharing control with another woman, though the two have to work flawlessly together. So, either it is not a link, or that "rule" of linking isn't really a hard law.  Maybe to split control of a circle without the bracelets requires such a fine control that it is not possible without an aid.  How can two people both surrender control and hold on to the control at the same time? And how can the two match the amount of "control effort" (for lack of a better term) in order to perfectly balance? The male a'dam force this balance, or are not true links. Since it offers much more control over the man, perhaps it is not a link, but more of a compulsion/mind control.

I always assumed that they had to pass control between the 2 of them.  Surrendering control in any circle requires trust of the leader, because once in a circle only the leader can end it.  I may be wrong, I'll look for the quotes later.

I would assume so. Otherwise, a damane could, once given her head and

told to weave something, could draw more Saidar than they can safely

hold, in a hope to die or be burned out.  Since we haven't heard

anything about this, we have to assume either it is not possible or that

the sul'dam know of the possibility and watch for it. Since the a'dam

is really a link, I assume that most laws of a link still exist, such as

the safety buffer.

Well to be fair, probably allot happens in the Empire of Seanchan that we do not hear about. :P Joking aside though probably most recently caught damane do not even know that it is possible to burn themselves out or die from over channeling, it is not like every channeler awakens to their abilities and get a little Channeling for Dummies guidebook delivered directly from the Creator to tell them these things.And besides how many women would burn themselves out willingly, if they knew what it was, to avoid becoming Damane so it probably would not be a very common problem, trying to kill themselves however that would probably be a bigger issue.

I think that there can only be one leader of a Circle and that yes once a Circle is formed that leader have to end the Circle, release someone from it or in other words the leader have control until he or she choose to end it the Circle of their own free will or they are shielded or knocked out.

Archived