DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

There is no October Discussion? Let's talk about sweets.

bhskeeper11

Cultures and subcultures have all different sorts of sweets and candies that are a "big deal" there. What sort of sweets are your favorite? Does your country/State/area have a particular kind of candy or sweet that it is known for?

One thing that Charleston, SC is known for are benne wafers. These small little wafers are sesame cookies that are sweet with a hint of maple. They are yummmmmmy.

hisotry_benne_wafer.gif

October just seems like the perfect month to talk about sweet stuff. :smile:

Not only being part Mexican, but growing up in California, I got my fair share of iron-rich candies during my childhood, and I LOVE the sweet and tangy/spicy candies of the Mexican culture.

Here is one brand of lollipops. They are a mango- or melon-flavored lollipop covered in a chili powder.

mEhmua6Ka3paIksyQ_hkpXw.jpg

Here is another brand/style:

mpWKoUuSIUB1LfcvizDtbKQ.jpg

These babies here are great! They are a sweet chili candy paste. It sounds weird, but I don't know how else to describe em. They are eaten like a push-pop. You push the little bottom part to force the candy out of the top.

3422274335_7d4c307f81.jpg

There are also these thick, crumbly, peanut butter sweets. They are absolutely amazing!

p1.jpg

There are many more kinds of sweets, but these were the main ones I can remember.

Then, there are these. EVERYONE has to love these. I do. Not only are these amazing, but they are extra special, because my grandmother used to give us some every year at Christmas. That was really the only time of year we had them.

ferrero_rocher.jpg

2076440.jpg

ferrero_rocher_by_bubblez397-d32f3z7.jpg

Of course, I will be back to post more as soon as I can remember candies I used to eat.

My father had a HUGE sweet tooth, so we almost always had sweets.

We didn't have these cookies very often, but I LOVE them. They are an almond...and ginger cookie? I can't recall the flavor. Don't think it was ginger.

1.jpg

windmill_cookie.jpg?w=200&h=265

Has anyone ever had the wax soda bottles? They are wax that is unflavored, but chewy and not brittle, and then it is filled with a sweet liquid. You bite through the wax to drink the liquid, then sorta chew on the wax. It sounds odd, but I used to like it when I was a kid.

tumblr_lflahlc7Th1qfpcnio1_500.png

No pictures on this one, because it was homemade.

I love to bake cookies and such. So, one of my favorite recipes is a chocolate chocolate chip cookie. I think Kate has had them, though not fresh. :sad:

I will rectify that as soon as I can.

So, I would make these at home a lot, when we had the ingredients. And, a few times, my dad would have vanilla ice cream. I think you know where I am going with this. :biggrin:

A few times in particular, he had slow-churned vanilla ice cream.

I would pop some cookies in the oven, and right before they were ready to come out, I'd place a couple of scoops into a bowl, and place four cookies around the sides of the bowl. Mind you, just out of the oven, these cookies are extremely soft and melt in your mouth instantly.

You use a spoon to break a piece of cookie and some ice cream....

:dies:

It is like heaven.

This thread makes me hungry..

OMG OF COURSE FERRERO ROCHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lus chocolate....of any kind.

Sour sweets. Oo yes Darki'n, LIQUORICE!!! Nom. I loves the layered cubey kind :happy:Not sure about the salt though :P

Peppermints... and choc covered raisins...

Ugh I really hungry now :(( We seldomly get any cos our parents are quite strict inthat regard too.. and they buy chocolate in town but eat it themselves :darkone:

So yeah, homemade cookies are fun and nommy though :)

This thread makes me hungry..

OMG OF COURSE FERRERO ROCHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lus chocolate....of any kind.

Sour sweets. Oo yes Darki'n, LIQUORICE!!! Nom. I loves the layered cubey kind :happy:Not sure about the salt though :P

Peppermints... and choc covered raisins...

Ugh I hungry for sweets :(( We seldomly get any cos our parents are quite strict inthat regard too.. and they buy chocolate in town but eat it themselves :darkone:

I like normal liquorice too, but it's a little too...gentle for me. Maybe it's the salt that makes the difference, salt liquorice has very strong taste.

hmmm, fair enough :) would definitely not mind trying it..

...I'm quite sensitive to sweets taste, as we don't have it often, so many are also too sweet for me..

Oh and I love fruit juices. Dunno if they count, but in Chile we had amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing fruit juices and smoothies and Oooooo *languishes*

Well I am from Belgium :D So what do we make best exept from Beer and french fries?

Chocolate!!!!!!!!!

Leonidas best chocolates ever made and 100% Belgian!

2pspueh.jpg

30j1xqd.jpg

Côte d'Or 100% Belgian!

This one is the best its a hard chocolate filled with nice praline :D

6panir.jpg

27x40g9.png

Neuhaus Is the name of the man who invented the Little chocolates that we know of today :D Also still a Orginal product :D

2e665pg.jpg

Best Chocolate in the world :D Tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D

Archived