DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

fade blades...

mike hunt's here

this may seem a silly topic but if I was a regular Joe Fighter in Randland and I see a Fade "die."

Is there any reason why I wouldnt grab that magical sword and use it myself? It may be dangerous, but any reason I couldn't use it?

There is nothing to suggest a human couldn't use it, physically. So yeah, I would say you could do.

Mind you, I don't think it would be a good idea to do so, it would be like using a weapon cursed by the devil (or whatever anti-deity suits you)

this may seem a silly topic but if I was a regular Joe Fighter in Randland and I see a Fade "die."

Is there any reason why I wouldnt grab that magical sword and use it myself? It may be dangerous, but any reason I couldn't use it?

Well for one thing you'd have to wait for the damn creature to stop flailing it around everywhere since they take so long to die. And I wouldn't take my chances with it.

It's probably highly illegal. Combine that with the danger of actually using it, and the fact that it's easily recognisable, and I don't think it would be to smart to do so.

(I'm speculating about the illegal thing. I honestly haven't heard this meantioned, IIRC, which is odd, because it seems like SOMEONE would have done this.)

(I'm speculating about the illegal thing. I honestly haven't heard this meantioned, IIRC, which is odd, because it seems like SOMEONE would have done this.)

Perhaps in the Borderlands, it would probably be illegal, although I would suspect any good boderland citizen would rather die.

But apart from that, how often have people had the chance to pick up a Myrddraal blade, pre-EotW?

Plus I would think it would be thought of as sick. It would be kinda like eating babies. They are each forged by a human life.

Maybe i'm thinking too much as a RPG and thinking - "wow that blade is at least +500 in damage." haha.

Ok yes

1. fades are hard to kill and still start slashing around when they are dead.

2. the blade is probably "evil."

however most merc's probably just want good weapons, and I'm thinking after the fall of a city to shadowspawn...no spoilers, there must be some looters one or two days later and pick up a fade blade somewhere.

Like Fain or Daved Hanlon - I could see them using one. They basically have no qualms. Fain has his dagger so he wouldnt need the sword.

The blade would most likely kill you before you could use it though.

It is tainted by the Shadow, a small cut could kill.

It would be like using a cobra as a sword. Sure, it would be deadly, but it will probably bite you as well. Steel works well enough, in this case.

nah, its easier to nick than slit. If you only care about is survivng and killing your enemy in battle, its easier to nick a wound and run away like a chicken. Then just keeping away long enough to let the wound take its course, or weaken the man enough to end him/her.

The blade would most likely kill you before you could use it though.

It is tainted by the Shadow, a small cut could kill.

It would be like using a cobra as a sword. Sure, it would be deadly, but it will probably bite you as well. Steel works well enough, in this case.

nah, its easier to nick than slit. If you only care about is survivng and killing your enemy in battle, its easier to nick a wound and run away like a chicken. Then just keeping away long enough to let the wound take its course, or weaken the man enough to end him/her.

Bronn of the Blackwater, is that you?

I do not think most people would think yay dead fade, now let us loot it. But that being said I do not think it would be impossible to use off course if you manage to cut yourself with the sword you have a problem so it would be dangerous. Also whatever or not it is legal, I do not know if it is written in any laws, do shalt not loot shadowspawn, but you can be pretty sure some villagers with pitch forks and torches will show up at your door rather soon not to mention that the first Children of the Light troop that see someone carrying that sword would hunt the person down and kill them in creative ways.

Myrddraal swords aren't like Power-wrought swords, they're not 'forever'. Their properties have to be maintained by those stone-thingies in the valley of Thakan'dar every so often, so it wouldn't be effective for long. Still, if you were desperate, I see no reason why you couldn't use one.

I see this similar to the Relictors Chapter in Warhammer 40K (for those for whom this doesn't mean anything here is a link: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Relictors#.UGeGzDAosbI)

They used tainted daemon weapons "trying to turn the dark powers against them (Chaos) for the good of humanity" and were eventually declared traitors and expunged from the Imperium.

I think something similar would happen in Randland should someone try to use a Fade Sword, it would probably work for a while but it would wear out as Yoniy0 has pointed out and the person would be declared a traitor no matter what good they did with the thing before it wore out.

Does anyone know if Fade Swords are as lethal to Fades and other darkspawn as they are to humans? If not then there's less of a reason to try to use one (not no reason as you could use it on the darkfriend human forces).

Archived