DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who did this really

78WARLOCK

In "The Lord of Chaos",chpt 46 "Beyond the Gate" one of the Salidar Aes Sedai,Demira Eriff, is speared by "Aiel" in an ally. She describes one of the Aiel as "a squat fellow with villainous eyes". Aiel are describe as alot of things but not squat ! Who did this and why ? Just to undermine those Salidar Aes Sedai ? This event lead to the "power" showdown with them,Meranas party and Rand before he bolted back to Cairhein.

Any thoughts ? I find this a big plot twist. Bashere have anything to do with this ?

If this has been answered before I appologise for bringing it up again. just doing another re-read and wondering.

There are basically two strong choices IMO:

1. Fain

2. Taim

I'm starting to think it was Taim, on orders from the Forsaken, because it seems to have been done in concert with Verin, who used the incident to guide the rebel Aes Sedai into confronting Rand and driving him toward Cairhien. That means that Mesaana and Demandred were likely up the chain on this one.

These weren't Aiel. One of them was short and stocky with black eyes and called the Aes Sedai 'witches'. That's why Fain is a candidate, but Charl Gedwyn also referred to Aes Sedai as 'witches'.

Do we also have the WC'a referring to AS as witches?

(edit: never mind; that is why you listed Fain)

I'm starting to think it was Taim, on orders from the Forsaken, because it seems to have been done in concert with Verin, who used the incident to guide the rebel Aes Sedai into confronting Rand and driving him toward Cairhien. That means that Mesaana and Demandred were likely up the chain on this one.

That is probably the most likely explanation. It is complex and well-planned: Demandred.

And up till that incident, Fain hadn't gone to the WT (if I recall correctly). So, he was acting in a retaliatory manner towards Rand after his Two Rivers plan failed. I don't think Fain had any game plan vis-a-vis Rand after Bornhald's mission failed.

Fain went from Tar Valon to Caemlyn and he's there in the middle of the book (his WC take a potshot at Rand...around the time Alanna bonds him I think). He needs to get to Riatin and establish himself there by mid-ACoS, but that's no problem.

You can check his PoV mid-LoC, he's looking for a way to hurt Rand, but discounts using the women at the Inn (2 Rivers girls + Verin and Alanna).

Verin's probably out (god knows she's busy in theories lol, and it's her PoV), the results of it depend on things outside her knowledge and control (Bera and Katerina showing up). But I'd need to check that part out again.

We can look over method and possible results I guess, and that would tip me towards Taim for reasons I won't go into, but don't think I could convince the grand jury on his involvment :)

You can check his PoV mid-LoC, he's looking for a way to hurt Rand, but discounts using the women at the Inn (2 Rivers girls + Verin and Alanna).

Verin's probably out (god knows she's busy in theories lol, and it's her PoV), the results of it depend on things outside her knowledge and control (Bera and Katerina showing up). But I'd need to check that part out again.

While it does seem to hinge on the number 13 from Rand's POV, I don't think that was part of the plan, and I think the plan would have worked without it. In fact, the plan was conceived without it, because Bera and Kiruna basically showed up at the last minute, and they only sent nine to confront Rand (the whole embassy, which Verin and Alanna were not part of). The effect of the number 13 was basically that 1) it scared Min, and 2) she rode hard to the palace to let Rand know they were coming. So he was prepared and calm, but still decided to go to Cairhien. If nine of them had shown up without warning, the result would probably have been much the same.

Fain went from Tar Valon to Caemlyn and he's there in the middle of the book (his WC take a potshot at Rand...around the time Alanna bonds him I think). He needs to get to Riatin and establish himself there by mid-ACoS, but that's no problem.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought he went from the 2-Rivers to Caemlyn and then to TV.

While it does seem to hinge on the number 13 from Rand's POV, I don't think that was part of the plan, and I think the plan would have worked without it. In fact, the plan was conceived without it, because Bera and Kiruna basically showed up at the last minute, and they only sent nine to confront Rand (the whole embassy, which Verin and Alanna were not part of). The effect of the number 13 was basically that 1) it scared Min, and 2) she rode hard to the palace to let Rand know they were coming. So he was prepared and calm, but still decided to go to Cairhien. If nine of them had shown up without warning, the result would probably have been much the same.

/

Isn''t the 13 supposed to be able to shield no matter how strong the channeler is? Didn't they sneak in the extra (that Rand didn't bother with) in the guise of serving women? So that they could shield him no matter what?

It isn't absolute. The quote is 'the 13 weakest sisters could shield any man'. The more power you have the easier it is to shield someone, a circle of 13 of power level 1 probabaly couldn't shield a level 26. Though level 1 couldn't channel for long enough to link and try from what we have seen of Morgase.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought he went from the 2-Rivers to Caemlyn and then to TV.

He did, but we didn't see what he did in Caemlyn on the way there. He went there again after he got the dagger back.

Archived