DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Curiousity Has Landed on Mars

• 1 month later...

I saw an article about that in our local newspaper. It didn't show the sizes like these pictures to, so that's really neat. I really dislike it when you can't figure out if those are tiny little pebbles or huge rocks.

Now this of course makes me wonder - did the water get lost outside of Mars' atmosphere, or is it still available somewhere? Hmmm ... does Mars have an atmosphere? I'm a bit clueless with these things. Is that the thing that would keep water / water molecules "inside"?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, detecting exoplanets is actually quite difficult.

Our telescopes are only powerful enough to find huge ones like Jupiter (or maaaaaaybe smallish ones that are far enough away from their star that we can see them separately--not as small as pluto, but Mercuryish). We can sometimes detect that a star has a planet because it wobbles, (as described in the article) and we can guess at the size based off of this, but that gets complicated when the planet might have multiple stars.

Alpha centuri is by far our closest neighboring solar system so detecting its planet(s?) will be easier than most

So... Short answer: yes, it is a step in the right direction, but we need technology to get better before we find "other earths" out there

Archived