DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My Take on the RJ/BS Split

Xeratul

I don't know how those scenes played out since I haven't read it yet, but several people also think RJ bungled some of the big moments in KoD. Considering all the significant stuff that happened there, the big moments themselves were often very short and not very memorable. I'd have wanted some more gasp, mouths hanging open, tears, or snarky remarks.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how those scenes played out since I haven't read it yet, but several people also think RJ bungled some of the big moments in KoD. Considering all the significant stuff that happened there, the big moments themselves were often very short and not very memorable. I'd have wanted some more gasp, mouths hanging open, tears, or snarky remarks.

I haven't reread KoD since tGS came out, but what I remember most from that one is the Mat/Tuon stuff. Especially when they meet up with the Band again :) I'm looking forward to getting to that part of the reread again, and it's still 6 books away!

Really? That seems odd Alric, KoD has been almost universally praised in the fandom as a return to form after CoT. The big moments in that one such as Tuon's reescue and Mat's military campaign are often cited as sone of the best writing in the series. I don't recall anyone posting what you say above. Do you remmeber which posters?

I think a bit of it is mental.

I know when I was reading the last 2 books, I kept thinking and noticing how different it was now that Brandon is writing. Only later did I find out that many of the scenes in which I was feeling this were actually completely written by RJ.

Would be interested to hear what those were? The reality is the scenes completly written by RJ are pretty few and far between. The notes are far more scarce than people think. The only one that really stands out as something people got wrong as to who the author was is the ToG sequence. In fact this idea that people frequently confuse the scenes has somehow taken on a life of it's own. I actually have never heard of it happening beyond the ToG. Things like Hinderstrap for instance, there is no way anyone would ever confuse that for RJ.

I'm intrigued by this. Generally I'm not good enough at analysing styles of writing well enough to differentiate between the authors, but this is one that I attributed to RJ. Any chance you could let me know? Cheers

When ToM first came out people were claiming Brandon ruined the ToG sequence. Which is of course ridiculous as we know RJ wrote most of it even if there are some Brandonisms thrown in. This is really the only part I have seen numerous people get wrong in relation to who wrote what.

That's interesting. If RJ wrote most of that book, I wonder how he could have thought he could finish the series in one book. Unless it was going to be 2000 pgs long or longer.

I know when I was reading the last 2 books, I kept thinking and noticing how different it was now that Brandon is writing. Only later did I find out that many of the scenes in which I was feeling this were actually completely written by RJ.

Would be interested to hear what those were? The reality is the scenes completly written by RJ are pretty few and far between. The notes are far more scarce than people think. The only one that really stands out as something people got wrong as to who the author was is the ToG sequence. In fact this idea that people frequently confuse the scenes has somehow taken on a life of it's own. I actually have never heard of it happening beyond the ToG. Things like Hinderstrap for instance, there is no way anyone would ever confuse that for RJ.

I'm intrigued by this. Generally I'm not good enough at analysing styles of writing well enough to differentiate between the authors, but this is one that I attributed to RJ. Any chance you could let me know? Cheers

When ToM first came out people were claiming Brandon ruined the ToG sequence. Which is of course ridiculous as we know RJ wrote most of it even if there are some Brandonisms thrown in. This is really the only part I have seen numerous people get wrong in relation to who wrote what.

That's interesting. If RJ wrote most of that book, I wonder how he could have thought he could finish the series in one book. Unless it was going to be 2000 pgs long or longer.

I'm guessing Suttree just meant most of the ToG sequence and not the book.

Sorry that is my fault I should have spelled out the name instead of abbreviating. ToG=Tower of Ghenji.

Sorry that is my fault I should have spelled out the name instead of abbreviating. ToG=Tower of Ghenji.

Ah! People blamed the one sequence on BS. Gotcha. I hope the guy makes his money off of this because he's going to be blamed for plenty. Hahahahaha

Really? That seems odd Alric, KoD has been almost universally praised in the fandom as a return to form after CoT. The big moments in that one such as Tuon's reescue and Mat's military campaign are often cited as sone of the best writing in the series. I don't recall anyone posting what you say above. Do you remmeber which posters?

Don't get me wrong, KoD is one of the best books, perhaps my favorite after tSR. But reading it right after CoT, the pace of both the action and the writing increased so much that it was a bit jarring at times. As I said, part of it might be my imagination, but RJ seemed to reign in his language and I think it shows and people react in different ways to that. I haven't read up on the opinions on this forum, but I got the same impression from some of my friends, and from Leigh's comments on the reread where she has pointed out that the resolving of several plot points are surprisingly short considering all the buildup. I'd have liked more some more fleshing out of Galad/Valda, Aram, Mat/Thom and Moiraine's letter, and Rand vs Semirhage (it cuts from Rand to Mat in the middle of the chapter - wtf?)

I haven't read up on the opinions on this forum, but I got the same impression from some of my friends, and from Leigh's comments on the reread where she has pointed out that the resolving of several plot points are surprisingly short considering all the buildup. I'd have liked more some more fleshing out of Galad/Valda, Aram, Mat/Thom and Moiraine's letter, and Rand vs Semirhage (it cuts from Rand to Mat in the middle of the chapter - wtf?)

Ahh ok, and yes I see your point with a couple of those examples particularly Aram.

One man talking, I've been very glad that Sanderson took over the series. I think he's done a marvelous job, and I've enjoyed tGS and ToM far more than I have any Wheel of Time books in a long time.

No disrespect to the Creator, but I stopped enjoying Jordan's work somewhere around Crown of Swords. From there it just started to feel long. Hundreds of pages would pass and nothing would happen. In the first few books if you skipped a chapter you missed something that mattered. You might not know it yet, which was part of Jordan's genius, but it was there. By the eighth book, I could skim or skip dozens of pages or more and not notice the difference. The same people were in the same places that I left them arguing over the same things. To trot out the tired example, how long did it take Perrin to rescue Faile? I honestly can't imagine that arc taking more than one volume if it had happened in 1-6.

Maybe I just like a faster pace, but I've been enjoying Sanderson's work immensely. Looking forward to the conclusion (eagerly after this prologue!)

Archived