DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Fibonacci Sequence

Arez Al'Loke

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness, I once read a paper which annotated startling connections between many of these abstract/imaginary/whatever you want to call em numbers, like e and pi and phi and such. Very out there stuff and it def included some maths that were over my head, but the stuff I did grasp was very interesting

Ironically, I just listened to my uncle (a calculus teacher) talk for a good 15 minutes about how pi, e, and the trigonometric functions all form this crazy relationship involving derivatives and stuff. It was insane.

Exactly. Algebra, trig, they can sometimes be useful in various careers. Calculus is pretty much only good for physicists, theoretical mathematicians, and people who need to read something to help them get to sleep/cross their eyes trying to comprehend everything

In all seriousness, I once read a paper which annotated startling connections between many of these abstract/imaginary/whatever you want to call em numbers, like e and pi and phi and such. Very out there stuff and it def included some maths that were over my head, but the stuff I did grasp was very interesting

Euler's equation is the most profound equation in mathematics:

e + 1 = 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_identity

Exactly. Algebra, trig, they can sometimes be useful in various careers. Calculus is pretty much only good for physicists, theoretical mathematicians, and people who need to read something to help them get to sleep/cross their eyes trying to comprehend everything

Calculus is pretty useful in economics. It's also not that hard.

FIND THE LINK!!! I want to read it..

Calculus is pretty useful in economics. It's also not that hard.

It's not that the concepts themselves are that hard, it's the involvement of the absurd amount of formulas, variables, expressions, and graphic representations

FIND THE LINK!!! I want to read it..

Unfortunately I didn't read it online, read it in a scientific journal that someone had. Don't remember the author's name or the title of it.

I can't do long division where you work it out on paper. I remember having it explained to me a bazillion times at school and everytime I understood it fine, then went to bed and forgot how to do it the next morning. I think I have a block or something. Now I'm quite good at the whole general maths thing, but long division and mental maths - absolute brain freeze.

I can't do long division where you work it out on paper. I remember having it explained to me a bazillion times at school and everytime I understood it fine, then went to bed and forgot how to do it the next morning. I think I have a block or something. Now I'm quite good at the whole general maths thing, but long division and mental maths - absolute brain freeze.

I think I might still be able to manage long division, but I really don't like it... all that carrying over

Long division? Is it by chance called "the leaning chair"?

We didn't have to learn it in school xP Teacher was like, "Meh, you'll have calculators anyway"

sounds appropriate, and yeah we do have calculators now, thats why i've nearly forgotten it

*dunks Ithi's head in a bucket of water*

Long division? Is it by chance called "the leaning chair"?

We didn't have to learn it in school xP Teacher was like, "Meh, you'll have calculators anyway"

I've had to do long division in my head before IRL.

are you joking ..?

Only to a couple of decimal places.

Archived