DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Setalle Anan

RandA lThor

Actually, if you reread how Nynaeve healed the madness, it was exactly how she described it, like compulsion, and went about healing it the same way she did with that one guy that died, except this time she more careful and successful.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Edynol: She tried that at first, but the weave melted. So then she pulled it up piece by piece, then did that, which healed it.

It wasn't exactly a matter of her being more careful, it was that the weave wasn't as thickly laid, so it was signficantly less dangerous to remove than a stronger compulsion would be.

We don't know that it wasn't as thickly laid. Remember her skill with delving had improved since she tried to heal that compulsion weave, so it was possible compulsion has little thorns like the taint did, she just didn't see them. Also, she didn't try healing after pulling each thread before, which helped as well. She did things a little differently, and while it might not have been exactly like compulsion, the similarities were definitely there.

Actually, it has some very major differences from compulsion:

Oddly, the darkness did seem similar to Compulsion. Was that what the taint had done? Bent the men who used the One Power with the Dark One's own Compulsion?

She carefully wove a counterweave opposite the madness, then laid it over Naeff's mind. The weave just faded away, doing nothing.

She gritted her teeth. That should have worked. But, as seemed so common lately, it had failed.

No, she thought. No, I can't just sit back. She Delved deeper. The darkness had tiny, thornlike projections stuck into Naeff's mind. She ignored the people gathering around her, and inspected those thorns. She carefully used weaves of Spirit to pry one free. It came out with some resistance, and she quickly Healed the spot where it had punctured Naeff's flesh. The brain seemed to pulse, looking more healthy. One by one, she pried the others free. She was forced to maintain her weaves, holding the barbs back, lest they plunge down again. She began to sweat. She was already tired from sweeping the area clean, and no longer could spare concentration to keep the heat off her. Tear was so muggy.

Compare that to:

Yes, she could see it now, a complex web made from lines of Spirit, Air and Water. It was horrible, looking at it with her mind's eye, crisscrossing the youth's brain. Bits of the weave touched here and there, like tiny hooks, jutting deep into the brain itself.

Compulsion juts deep into the brain, unlike the taint, which seems to be at the surface.

Yes, but she didn't describe how deep the taint thorns went into his mind/brain. Tiny hooks in the brain, tiny thorn-like things in the mind, sounds to me like the same thing just worded differently.

there's a difference in things here that i have to disagree with. What nyn healed was a madness caused from an outside influence, the taint laying atop the brain and thus impacting thought process. Simple madness that even a nonchanneler could suffer from is their current thought process without an outside influence. Their brain is already wired to act in an abnormal way, and there isnt anything to fix, they are just wired differently. a test for that that will never happen would be to heal noam, assuming he wanted it, and realistically assuming he is actually mad, but you get my point lol

Yeah what RandA said. Regular mental illnesses aren't relivent to the story, so when people talking madness, they are talking about the taint. So while I do get your point, know that your point is moot.

judging by the whole string of posts after these it really seems as though RJ's quote is moot, and he really dropped the ball on this one. a natural madness i would think would be more difficult to deal with, i would assume you would need much more intimate knowledge of a healthy brain...one mad from the taint though, realistically nyn made it seem fairly simple to diagnose and treat all things considered...maybe others werent willing to look in to the workings of a male channelers brain and just offed them instead, but like i said, it at least seemed something easily identifiable.

trollface.png

shall we resume the topic this thread was about. i actually didn't mean to troll, but the result of my post makes me look like one. i only said that nyn didn't heal madness, she removed the taint that was causing the madness, which removing that taint can still be considered healing, but it isn't healing madness or insanity. now may we resume talking about the actual topic this thread is supposed to be about...

i think setalle can be healed, but i think it has nothing to do with healing severing. her connection to the source is stuck somewhere and it would not be the same thing to heal her as it was to heal the tower sisters from domai's wells, or suian and leane.

there's a difference in things here that i have to disagree with. What nyn healed was a madness caused from an outside influence, the taint laying atop the brain and thus impacting thought process. Simple madness that even a nonchanneler could suffer from is their current thought process without an outside influence. Their brain is already wired to act in an abnormal way, and there isnt anything to fix, they are just wired differently. a test for that that will never happen would be to heal noam, assuming he wanted it, and realistically assuming he is actually mad, but you get my point lol

Yeah what RandA said. Regular mental illnesses aren't relivent to the story, so when people talking madness, they are talking about the taint. So while I do get your point, know that your point is moot.

judging by the whole string of posts after these it really seems as though RJ's quote is moot, and he really dropped the ball on this one. a natural madness i would think would be more difficult to deal with, i would assume you would need much more intimate knowledge of a healthy brain...one mad from the taint though, realistically nyn made it seem fairly simple to diagnose and treat all things considered...maybe others werent willing to look in to the workings of a male channelers brain and just offed them instead, but like i said, it at least seemed something easily identifiable.

well after the madness struck it would have been hard to do any in depth study of it as the world was being torn apart, plus the relative amount of channelling then, most male AS would have gone mad before any scientific approach would begin to find the answers

Archived