DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Setalle Anan

RandA lThor

So from the book, I have concluded that setalle is a burned out Aes Sedai, correct me if wrong. However, I am curious on whether her name is an alias for someone important like the old dream ter'angreal studier or someone else. it would be really cool if she revealed herself and then was healed and had this really cool information on TAR. Anyways, just a theory. Discuss.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So from the book, I have concluded that setalle is a burned out Aes Sedai, correct me if wrong. However, I am curious on whether her name is an alias for someone important like the old dream ter'angreal studier or someone else. it would be really cool if she revealed herself and then was healed and had this really cool information on TAR. Anyways, just a theory. Discuss.

She's MArtine Janata, who studied ter'angreal, before she got burned out. I'm not sure if the authors confirmed it, but the evdience is more than convincing.

Yeah it's pretty likely she's Martine. Not certain, yet, but almost--chronologically it fits, both with when Martine, and Zarya were in the Tower, when she was burned out, when she began have children, the age of those children nd so forth. Additionally she displays Martines obsession toward ter'angreal.

I think the question is if she gets the option to be healed will she take it? most people that are burnt out/stilled wind up dying, and the few that dont only make it because they find something important enough to them to fill that empty void. For satelle, its her family. I just get the feeling that she has expected that part of her life is over with.

Well that's the question isn't it... she may well accept being healed (provided it's possible, which mind you I think the evidence suggests that it is), but will she accept being an Aes Sedai again?

Well that's the question isn't it... she may well accept being healed (provided it's possible, which mind you I think the evidence suggests that it is), but will she accept being an Aes Sedai again?

That is indeed the question. I am pretty interested to see if burning out can be healed, or if they can no longer sense the source does that mean there is nothing left to be bridged?

Technically, anything but death can be healed.

and there is certainly enough foreshadowing making even that debatable...

tLoC chptr 7, A Matter of Thought

... But Nynaeve would not be satisfied till she Healed somebody three days dead.

WH chptr 9, A Cup of Tea

I myself would not believe him dead unless I sat three days with the corpse.

Yeah, in another thread, I thought about how she might do something that is close to that, like heal someone (possibly Lan) who looks like he is already dead, but is not, or does something to bring Rand back to life.

The Encyclopedia-wot.org actually states: "Martine Janata makes her way to Ebou Dar. Jasfer Anan finds her on the streets near starvation and takes her home. She marries him and starts a new life as Setalle Anan. (KoD,Ch7, KoD,Ch9)"

Is this actually confirmed or just very very likely?

Just very likely. The only proof we have on her identity is her own admission that she was once Aes Sedai (when Mat makes a deal with her about keeping secrets). But there is no proof that she is Maratine Janata, but everything points to it.

Still has the attitude.

Willpower and the One Power are two different things. The Wise Ones prove it.

Setalle is a very charismatic woman with a formidable presence and considerable willpower. And that has nothing to do with the OP.

i would really like to see her healed. with her previous knowledge,she could make an impact. also,the light needs all the help it can get.

Was just talking about this in another thread. I would like to see her healed as well but I'm not sure it is possible. If you are stilled you can still sense the source and there is a cut to bridge. If you are burned out you can't sense anyting. There is nothing to be healed.

LoC

"But there is something there to be Healed," Nynaeve insisted, "or you’d feel nothing through the bracelet."

Setalle Anan, burned out, and an adviser to Fortuona would be more helpful to Randland than just another Aes Sedai. The only way Setalle Anan's restoration of OP would be considerably useful is if she figures out how to unravel the a'dam and break its forced link.

The White Tower is very good at turning out Aes Sedai with lots of willpower. It's not so good with imbuing them with a lot of common sense, however. As for Healing Setalle, I tend to doubt that it's possible. For one thing, it sort of explains why no one in the Age of Legends figured out how to do it, and why by the end of the 3rd Age, everyone believes it's impossible. In the AoL, you'd have the occasionally channeler burning out, but stilling would be rare, especially since the criminal in question would have the option of binding themselves on the Oath Rod instead. Moreover, since they were criminals, nobody would really be looking to hard at figuring out how to do it. If Nynaeve or Flinn were somehow capable of Healing burn-out, I'd have to start calling shenanigans.

Archived