DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aes Sedai captured by the Seanchan question

spleen1015

If this is addressed elsewhere, I apologize for the repost. Please point me to that discussion. :)

During my reread last week of The Great Hunt, I had this thought.

Aes Sedai are bound to the Oath Rod and they can't use the One Power to harm others unless their lives are threatened. So, how can the Seahchan use captured Aes Sedai to throw fireballs and cause earthquakes etc unless the Aes Sedai are put into dangerous situations?

Is there something about the a'dam that brokes the oaths they've made to the Oath Rod? I don't believe so.

They make mention of that problem with captured marath'damane who call themselves Aes Sedai. They say they are useless in battle, but have a wealth of other abilities. They are dealing with the impact of Healing by a damane in the later books, but they know Aes Sedai have their limitations.

I see it as being the AS wont be front line damane, in other words they will be forced to join in after first contact between armies is made and they can be further back but still engage.

Although the most likely thing is that they will be indoctrinated to feel their life is in danger whenever a battle begins

Of course, this could be overcome by forcing the AS damane to bond their sul'dam as warders, then they could attack if the sul'dam is in danger as well.

Clever idea!

Not yet, but I'm sure someone will find oiut about it, especially with Elaida blabbing out secrets to save her own hide.

As sure as water is wet, she's babbling secrets; but it ain't gonna save her hide!

Of course, this could be overcome by forcing the AS damane to bond their sul'dam as warders, then they could attack if the sul'dam is in danger as well.

Clever idea!

Oh definitely. This way the Aes Sedai can gain complete control over the sul'dam, make the sul'dam squeamish about hurting the Aes Sedai, and go into a death rage if the Aes Sedai is killed.

In fact, I'm rather shocked no AS has tried this. After all, the a'dam only prevents you from anything you think will harm the sul'dam. Since Alanna was able to wriggle around that and bond Rand, an AS damane should be able to do the exact same thing!

Clever idea!

Oh definitely. This way the Aes Sedai can gain complete control over the sul'dam, make the sul'dam squeamish about hurting the Aes Sedai, and go into a death rage if the Aes Sedai is killed.

In fact, I'm rather shocked no AS has tried this. After all, the a'dam only prevents you from anything you think will harm the sul'dam. Since Alanna was able to wriggle around that and bond Rand, an AS damane should be able to do the exact same thing!

Would be hilarious if Meylin is forced to bond Fortuona to save her life! I wonder what Mat would say when he finds that his "marital life" is in a damane's head!

That would work exactly one time with some very painful consequences for the AS Damane who tries that.

And anyway it probably will not work as the need for the bond will be to control/harm the Suldam so the AS Damane will not be able to do it.

That would work exactly one time with some very painful consequences for the AS Damane who tries that.

And anyway it probably will not work as the need for the bond will be to control/harm the Suldam so the AS Damane will not be able to do it.

Alanna's need for the bond was to control or harm Rand. Yet the Oaths didn't stop her from bonding him...

As shown, most AS damane are broken to the point they wouldn't even concider harming their sul'dam, they would just be thinking about the benefits it bestows to the sul'dam. Also, the a'dam prevent them from harm the sul'dam only, does nothing about controlling them because it wouldn't really be harming them.

Also, some sul'dam are against mistreatment of damane, so maybe it might become protocall for damane to bond sul'dam to discourage bad treatment. Not likely, but that would be pretty awesome. If they punish their damane for being bad, then they would get punished to for not training them properly.

Alanna's need for the bond was to control or harm Rand. Yet the Oaths didn't stop her from bonding him...

The oaths don't prevent AS from harming people, otherwise the Mistress of Novices would never be able to punish novices and accepted. And controlling is not concidered harming someone.

Harming and controlling are different from killing. And she was convinced that she was doing this for the greater good.

The oaths don't prevent AS from harming people, otherwise the Mistress of Novices would never be able to punish novices and accepted. And controlling is not concidered harming someone.

Correct. The Three Oaths specifically mention "weapon". To me that means with the intent to kill or maim.

Yes, true enough, for now. But remember the Dragon brings change, and who knows what the mindset of AS damane are? Or if one of the sul'dam hear about it and ask them, they almost guaranteed to tell.

Why would a SD allow the AS to perform this weave? The AS ad would have to lie to the sd about the nature of the weaving for the sd to allow the weave to happen. The only way I could see this happening is in a situation similar to Elayne and Brigette. Where the AS does it to save the life of the sd as a form of healing.

There is a difference between lying and not telling the whole truth.The bond gives the warder extra stamina, makes it harder for them to die, atc. They'd just tell them that and wouldn't be lying.

Archived