DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Things noticed while listening to the books.

oh, and also, it is different FROM you. aka different from me. it could be said any number of ways, but differently to me is NEVER correct. even differently from me is a mess, but it makes a hell of allot more sense than differently to me. (oh and if the h was actually silent i would have use "an hell of" i didn't so obviously it isn't. the h does have it's place, as does the huff sound that it CAN produce, but in most cases it does not produce that huff sound, although it would be nice if you brits used that huff sound when you said hello, but that is a purely american argument, even though i would like to smack the next britt i meet face to face who says "ello")

I know most Americans think all British people walk around with bowler hats, drinking tea and saying 'ello guv'nor', but it's not true I'm afraid. And 'different to' is just as correct as 'different from'.

it is not. different to is meaningless, different from has clear meaning, both stated by themselves with no further context. [Removed]

It is. Both are equally grammatically correct, with clear meaning. And he is entitled to state his opinion without any unwarranted puerile abuse from you.

oh, and please find a quote in a well written book where "different to" shows up. i read the european/british version of the whole harry potter series, and it wasn't used once in 8 books (not long books compared to twot but twot books are way bigger than books should be anyway) but i did read the same version that was bought across the pond. sorry but even "different to" is missing something, and "differently to" just sounds stupid.

S0? I don't know what you're getting at really. Every nation has different dialects, it's not as if Americans speak with perfect English, as you call it.

americans (and canadians) are way off, no doubt about that. i don't argue against me having a bias as a person who grew up in the midwest, who can easily understand british broadcast, and who doesn't speak in some sort of slang. i deffinatelly have some sort of bias, likely a pretty bad one because most americans i encounter piss me off from the difficulty to understand what they say. the whole language just feels fractured, so i blame the isles. easy place to blame because when i have spoken to someone from the isles in person they are often difficult to understand, particularly from bits of england, even london, "how do they make that much of a mess" is what i find myself thinking

oxforddictionaries.com

Different from, than, or to?

Is there any difference between the expressions different from, different than, and different to? Is one of the three ‘more correct’ than the others?

In practice, different from is by far the most common of the three, in both British and American English:

We want to demonstrate that this government is different from previous governments. (British English)

This part is totally different from anything else that he's done. (American English)

Different than is mainly used in American English:

Teenagers certainly want to look different than their parents.

Different to is much more common in British English than American English:

In this respect the Royal Academy is no different to any other major museum.

Some people criticize different than as incorrect but there’s no real justification for this view. There’s little difference in sense between the three expressions, and all of them are used by respected writers.

americans (and canadians) are way off, no doubt about that. i don't argue against me having a bias as a person who grew up in the midwest, who can easily understand british broadcast, and who doesn't speak in some sort of slang. i deffinatelly have some sort of bias, likely a pretty bad one because most americans i encounter piss me off from the difficulty to understand what they say. the whole language just feels fractured, so i blame the isles. easy place to blame because when i have spoken to someone from the isles in person they are often difficult to understand, particularly from bits of england, even london, "how do they make that much of a mess" is what i find myself thinking

Even more trange then, if dialects and pronunciations bother you so much, that you would rant in such a way at someone who essentially feels the same.

EDIT: bah posted after the comment about moderation... sorry :/

you dry brits should keep in mind that in less than 300 square miles you have more than 30 distinct english dialects,

I assure you its a lot more than that: In my hometown we have 3 distinct dialects alone - I could easily go off in my northern slang and make whatever I say uncomprehensable to anyone else - unless they two came from the area I grew up in.

But that isn't the problem he mentioned it is BECAUSE there are many different ways to pronouce words and obviously the naraters choose one way - sometimes in pronoucing something differently you can change the meaning which can be a little annoying at times.

A major story example is BS's interpritation of Talmanes... read through pronoucing things through differently and you end up with a completely different personality... all done with the same words.

I have read the series three times through, but often forget stuff, or miss it. I am currently listening to them and find the readers extremly good. it also allows me to pick up on stuff easier. In doing so. through the first six books.

I have noticed just how arrogant Nynaeve is.

She believes herself so superior to anyone, she believes only her view is right, and that any man is inferior to her, bar Lan.

Elayne is just as superior and condesending. Not listening to anyone, wanting things her way.

The worst though has to be Aes Sedai, and I mean any. They think all should deffer to them. they should only be spoken to with the honourific Aes Sedai, or Sedai. The AS treatment of Mat while going to Ebou Dar because they don't get to see the Foxhead medalion and study it. Are they really that arrogant and pompous?

The stubbornous of any of the Two Rivers men, in not wanting to kill women. If they want to fight they should be allowed. But, they feel it is a terrible thing for a woman to die.

Give a society strongly dominated by women in that the female Aes Sedai were spared the madness, a goodly number of the monarchs/rulers are all women (Ebou Dar) or share equal power (Tarabon and even Seafolk) or a Queen can only inherit a throne (Andor) leaves men on the outs majorly. Those few men that still rule the Aes Sedai thought they should kidnap them to keep them safe (Kings of Arad Doman, Illian, even Rand) to also keep them under their thumb.

And yeah, they are arrogant and conceited as all get-out because no one save Artur Hawkwing dared challenge them since the men went mad and died off. Of course there was a bad taste left in everyone's mouth after the breaking due to the madness and men destroying the world. But quite often they get overlooked in that LTT and his Hundred companions did seal away the DO while the women prattled and talked and discussed and divided themselves and divided themselves again. Let's see...what did they do? Withheld their aid, we have people that thought the Chodan Kal were a good idea, people in the Callandor Camp that couldn't make a good San'angreal without flaws, and given the women's behaviors the group that created the Eye of the World probably forced half-mad men to link with them and used themselves as muck filters and probably burned up a bunch of really powerful Angreals and Sa'angreals while killing themselves in the process. They can make an archway and a pool with a stasis box holding the horn and LTT's banner, but they couldn't put up a plaque with some freaking directions? "WARNING: DRAGON ONLY! EYE IS ONLY TO BE USED FOR ___." I mean...come on, really? They have basically set themselves up to be the lesser half when the men come to power again. By rarely having children, by culling the men when they spark and effectively killing them with slow poison they have cut off their own leg. "Here Jirum...that wine we poured down your throat had a slow poison in it that stops your channeling. It'll kill you in a few years, and from now on life will be but a pale shade of what it once was. Your friends won't acknowledge they know you or ever did, and your family will shun you. As to your wife, well...we should move on to other things. You'll be able to feel the source but never touch it again. If you think life sucks now, give it a year. But hey, at least you are still alive!"

RJ loved his ironies, the squabbling and mannerisms of women who strive to prove themselves better than men in the way that they are more sensible and level-headed. There's lots more you will notice listening to the audiobooks. I've been through them 3 times and am starting a 4th and each books I have things clicking into place I've not noticed before, or didn't quite understand.

But quite often they get overlooked in that LTT and his Hundred companions did seal away the DO while the women prattled and talked and discussed and divided themselves and divided themselves again. Let's see...what did they do? Withheld their aid, we have people that thought the Chodan Kal were a good idea

Discussed and divided themselves again? What are you on about? Every single woman was united in this. LTT had to most likely act when he did but per RJ we know his plan was flawed and LTP ended up being right in the sense that it was too dangerous. The only difference had the women joined would be Saidar tainted as well. Not to mention Latra's actions during the Breaking are probably one of the major factors in the world still standing.

, people in the Callandor Camp that couldn't make a good San'angreal without flaws,

It was made during the War of Power not the Breaking

by culling the men when they spark and effectively killing them with slow poison they have cut off their own leg. "Here Jirum...that wine we poured down your throat had a slow poison in it that stops your channeling. It'll kill you in a few years, and from now on life will be but a pale shade of what it once was. Your friends won't acknowledge they know you or ever did, and your family will shun you. As to your wife, well...we should move on to other things. You'll be able to feel the source but never touch it again. If you think life sucks now, give it a year. But hey, at least you are still alive!"

As much as I dislike most Reds not sure what else you want them to do? Their work was extremely necessary and there were not truly other options.

one thing i noticed is that the audio books doesn't read absolutely everything. either that, or the first edition of my EotW is different than the later edition which they made the audio book based on. let me explain:

i read a part about matt and the other characters being in the common room in the Inn in Caemlyn, and a cat hisses at him and runs off, or some such. I noted this during my current re-read, recalling the most interesting fact that cats like women who can channel and hate men who can, and dogs like men who can channel and hate women who can. I toyed around with the idea of matt being one of those men who could potentially be taught how to channel. Not like he'll let himself be tested, but i thought it was an interesting idea. both matt and his wife being potential channelers who would rebel against the idea :D

the next time i delved into the story, i couldn't bring the book along so i brought my ipod and audiobooks, fast forwarding to the part i last read. I got to the common room scene with matt, and it didn't mention the cat. probably not relevant, but worth noting that the audiobooks don't contain Every Exact detail that the hard copies do.

Reading this thread makes me sad about my poor Dutch brain hacking all the names to bits...

Especially the ai sound works perfectly just as it reads, so as Tajm, Fajle, with the a's being similar to the au(g) in laugh or the o in love. Same works for the ae sound from analogy with Latin: Ajs Sedaj, Nee-naj-ve. Strangely with the name Moiraine I went for a freenchish sound (Moh-rennes with the rennes as in french city Rennes) and with Cairhien as Kerr-heen. In conclusion, I would say I am as crazy in assigning sounds to letters as Robert Jordan, just less organised :)

i read a part about matt and the other characters being in the common room in the Inn in Caemlyn, and a cat hisses at him and runs off, or some such.

I can't find it anywhere in the books. The only cat hissing in Caemlyn (as opposed to how they all react to Moiraine) is this, after Moiraine has already arrived:

A calico cat sauntered in from the hallway to strop the innkeeper's ankles. No sooner had the calico begun than a fuzzy gray sprang from under the table, arching its back and hissing. The calico crouched with a threatening growl, and the gray streaked past Lan into the stableyard.

Besides, Mat was never in the common room without Rand (he was sick at the time, and wouldn't come out of his room), so I don't think it would mean much even if we'd find your scene.

Archived