DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will saidin "disappear" after LB?

Greger

I think rand4747 has it right to some extent. I think in the far future (5th Age?) will be some kind of discrimination regarding channelers. With the appereance of technology Aes Sedai would no longer be feared nor needed, and we all know their great fame (both males and females though because of different reasons), so eventually they would just....hide their ability to spontaneus channeler level. Maybe this would end up in the "extintion" of the ability to channel until, in some posterior age, it sparkled again; or it could end up in the oblivion of the "knowledge", meaning that for a long time there would be just "special people" with strange abilities (such as Nynaeve windhearing [hope its said like that, im spanish], shamans, etc...), until the potential of the OP was developed again.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The One Power isn't used up, isn't consumated, it's channeled. It's not like in Mistborn, where one burns a metal and has supernatural powers until it's used up. The One Power it's channeled; you use it do what you want, but the One Power won't lessen a bit because of it. So, it can't be that you use too many of it up, so that the Wheel of Time can't turn anymore.

Gaah! Sanderson always seems to create a magic system like he is designing a Magic:the Gathering handbook, and I cant stand it. But neither can I find RJs musing on the nature of the One Power that I remember reading that says the Power can be used up. There are just too many years of every fanboy and girl putting every word out of the man under the microscope to track down one answer from years ago. Doesnt matter.

The power is finite. There is a "pool" of it, so you may be able to drain it with like, 20 Chodean Kal's used at the same time. However, when it is used, and the Source is let go by the Channeler, the Power goes back into the "pool", ready to be re-used.

So in a way, both are correct. It can't be depleted, however, there is a limit on how much there is available at one time.

The One Power isn't used up, isn't consumated, it's channeled. It's not like in Mistborn, where one burns a metal and has supernatural powers until it's used up. The One Power it's channeled; you use it do what you want, but the One Power won't lessen a bit because of it. So, it can't be that you use too many of it up, so that the Wheel of Time can't turn anymore.

Gaah! Sanderson always seems to create a magic system like he is designing a Magic:the Gathering handbook, and I cant stand it. But neither can I find RJs musing on the nature of the One Power that I remember reading that says the Power can be used up. There are just too many years of every fanboy and girl putting every word out of the man under the microscope to track down one answer from years ago. Doesnt matter.

It's not that difficult, you know.

Yes, actually it was very easy, Terez. Unfortunately, I haven’t time in my life to bend theoryland to my will.

Ok, so that pretty well knocks my theory down. Glad to have a question answered definitively for once.

Yes, actually it was very easy, Terez. Unfortunately, I haven’t time in my life to bend theoryland to my will.

It's hard to sympathize from the perspective of someone who put hundreds of hours into making the database so that it only takes a few seconds to find most quotes. Just saying. :wink: I found this one by searching 'power infinite'.

For Fikkie, there is a rather significant difference between 'consumed' and 'consummated'; the latter is what Tuon and Mat have yet to do.

It's hard to sympathize from the perspective of someone who put hundreds of hours into making the database so that it only takes a few seconds to find most quotes. Just saying. :wink: I found this one by searching 'power infinite'.

Hey, it's great that you did that and all, but that's still more research than I intend to put into a subject that is, after all, idle speculation. I'll check out this theoryland site if I have time, but generaly there are so many people on Dragonmount that have to right about everything at all times that they tend to bring theoryland to me.

I'll remember to never do so in the future.

Sure you will, Terez. Look at your post count. Half of those are you telling other posters why they are wrong and you are right. I'll grant that you are an authority on the WoT, and good for you, really. The WoT is intriguing enough and convoluted enough that it could be used as training for Intelligence Analysts; if a course was offered at my local community college “Interpreting the Wheel of Time” I would jump at the chance to take it. But people who have to get in the last word, even with superior knowledge on the topic at hand, tend to get pretty annoying, especially when all they are doing is reminding everyone else that they posses superior knowledge. But everybody has to have something, right?

That said, and trying to get back on topic, I chanced across an article dealing with Calandor and its weakness. Now that my question on the finite/infinite nature of the True Source was so very, very answered, I have another one to toss out there. This one is less existential, and I believe far more likely. The weakness of Calandor is that it lacks the buffer that prevents one from drawing too much and burning himself out. The “three become one” prophecy could go either way. The first is Rand and his two female channelers (regardless of identity) working as one to wield the power against the Dark One to save the day, the second is Rand somehow finding a way to merge Saidin, Saidar and the True Power drawing through Calandor to such an extent that he manages to win the battle against the Darr One, but at the cost of burning himself out forever. Thus the title is explained as Rand’s own Memory of Light.

Sure you will, Terez. Look at your post count. Half of those are you telling other posters why they are wrong and you are right. I'll grant that you are an authority on the WoT, and good for you, really. The WoT is intriguing enough and convoluted enough that it could be used as training for Intelligence Analysts; if a course was offered at my local community college “Interpreting the Wheel of Time” I would jump at the chance to take it. But people who have to get in the last word, even with superior knowledge on the topic at hand, tend to get pretty annoying, especially when all they are doing is reminding everyone else that they posses superior knowledge. But everybody has to have something, right?

That said, and trying to get back on topic, I chanced across an article dealing with Calandor and its weakness. Now that my question on the finite/infinite nature of the True Source was so very, very answered, I have another one to toss out there. This one is less existential, and I believe far more likely. The weakness of Calandor is that it lacks the buffer that prevents one from drawing too much and burning himself out. The “three become one” prophecy could go either way. The first is Rand and his two female channelers (regardless of identity) working as one to wield the power against the Dark One to save the day, the second is Rand somehow finding a way to merge Saidin, Saidar and the True Power drawing through Calandor to such an extent that he manages to win the battle against the Darr One, but at the cost of burning himself out forever. Thus the title is explained as Rand’s own Memory of Light.

Well, I don't see what's so bad about Terez...I haven't been in this forums for long enough to know for certain but it seems to me that when someone posts a theory and she knows a quote that makes it impossible, it's not bad of her to say it. I mean, what's the point at all in discussing a theory that can't be true from the beggining? I could have told you that too, i knew it, but other people posted first saying it. Why is Terez the bad one here and not all of us?

Anyways, i don't think that “three become one” prophecy means that. IMO you can't merge the essence of the Creator and the essence of the DO. Or if you could, they would destroy each other. Btw, I'm pretty sure Rand cannot channel the TP anymore. The DO grants access to it, why would he do it after Rand's epiphany?

Well, I don't see what's so bad about Terez...I haven't been in this forums for long enough to know for certain but it seems to me that when someone posts a theory and she knows a quote that makes it impossible, it's not bad of her to say it. I mean, what's the point at all in discussing a theory that can't be true from the beggining? I could have told you that too, i knew it, but other people posted first saying it. Why is Terez the bad one here and not all of us?

Anyways, i don't think that “three become one” prophecy means that. IMO you can't merge the essence of the Creator and the essence of the DO. Or if you could, they would destroy each other. Btw, I'm pretty sure Rand cannot channel the TP anymore. The DO grants access to it, why would he do it after Rand's epiphany?

I actually think that the DO can't stop Rand from channeling the True Power. The access is through Moridin and the only way to cut Rand off is to cut the Naeblis off.

I actually think that the DO can't stop Rand from channeling the True Power. The access is through Moridin and the only way to cut Rand off is to cut the Naeblis off.

Oh that's so true, didn't think of that. Then again, i don't think it can be used against the DO. I'm sure it will be important at some point in the LB, but against the DO himself I doubt it.

Sure you will, Terez.

No, I won't. I don't see the point in having a discussion with someone who is too lazy to use a search engine. It's like people who expect others to Google everything for them, and then call it 'research' like it's hard work.

Wait, you won't give quotes anymore? I like that you use your quotes, I think that what you did was a good job with a lot of hard work involved. I think that it's good that you can give us all information that we didn't know before so our discussion can be more relevant to the topic. Btw Lurk, terez is not even close to the highest post count, Verbal32 has over 150k. Anyways back to the topic, being right isn't a bad thing, and if you are and you back it up with factual evidence, it is a good thing.

I don’t need to be right so bad that I care to continue this discussion after this post. Don’t even bother to reply to it anyone, because I won’t; this ends here. I tried to get back on topic, I did. In my previous post I postulated about Callandor weaving the three Powers and burning Rand out and the Memory of Light is Rand’s memory of what it is to channel. I was verifiably wrong on my previous theory because Terez was able to provide a snippet of dialogue from a years-old interview with RJ that I half-remembered and couldn’t find on my own. I ceded the point pretty gracefully, when provided with countering evidence; I can admit when I’m wrong, especially when a quote backs up the counter-argument.

Lest there be any continuing controversy (and can we please get back on a topic relevant to the series, I don’t come here for drama) I do not contest Terez’s superior knowledge to mine on the WoT. That much is evident from her own posts on this and other forum threads I have read, and I do appreciate any relevant counter to anything I post. What I do not appreciate is the snide little remarks after the fact that serve no purpose but to rub that superiority in your face, and looking at Terez’s historical posts I see a lot of that with others as well. Hey, you want a flame war, there are places for that, but I thought Dragonmount was composed mostly of adults and I know I don’t have time in my life for that.

Theoryland is new to me as of last week, and thanks, Terez, for steering me in that direction with a minimum of snark. I suppose it's all on might expect. It may provide some more interesting subjects for me to read up on WoT, and great, it has a database of 20 some-odd years of interviews and conversations with RJ about WoT. I am an analyst, therefore I like databases. Organized information gives me warm and fuzzies. But that is a LOT of information to wade through for what is, after all, idle speculation over a fictional series. If I can use this new tool for future research fine; if I cannot find what I need I am not going to lose any sleep over it, but I don’t need and neither will I suffer any flak for not knowing as much about the WoT as Terez. After all, who could? Just ask her.

What I do not appreciate is the snide little remarks after the fact that serve no purpose but to rub that superiority in your face, and looking at Terez’s historical posts I see a lot of that with others as well.

They are never random. This one was in response to you rubbing your own superiority in our faces. Too good to spend a minute finding a quote. One thing to be that way, and another to tell people flat out that you expect them to do your 'research' for you.

• 2 months later...

i think it's plausible the OP will disappear for the next Age and that is why the book is called A Memory of Light. My friend suggested this theory to me not too long ago. It makes sense to me b/c of the time RJ spent writing about the technology schools Rand is founding. Technology will replace the OP. I'm not 100% behind this theory, but I think it's plausible.

i think it's plausible the OP will disappear for the next Age and that is why the book is called A Memory of Light. My friend suggested this theory to me not too long ago. It makes sense to me b/c of the time RJ spent writing about the technology schools Rand is founding. Technology will replace the OP. I'm not 100% behind this theory, but I think it's plausible.

I don't think that's very likely. RJ has put too much effort into creating the Asha'man and setting the Aes Sedai up for the future. The OP will in all likelihood exist in the coming age. What may happen however is that with the advent of technologiy across the next age the One Power will slowly wane and then finally disappear to herald the beginning of the age thereafter. But that's just wild ass guessing, with no evidence to support it.

Aviendha's vision showed that both male and female channellers will be active in the Fourth Age. I don't think this is something that's going to change, even if Aviendha somehow prevents the Aiel going extinct in the most shameful way possible, and the Seanchan destroying the White and Black Towers and conquering the entire planet.

Archived