DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will somone please balefire...

Jonn

After reading that thread I am going to agree with Mr. Ares that both sides of the debate are far too opionated to ever come to any kind of agreement. The characters are so fleshed out that they are like real people. With traits, personalities, characteristics that some people like and some don't. Much like, for example, President George W. Bush, there are people that admire and respect him and people that find him a bumbling idiot. Opinions that are this strong are just that, opinions. Different actions and personalities resonate differently depending on the person which those actions/personalities etc are bouncing off of.

After reading that thread I am going to agree with Mr. Ares that both sides of the debate are far too opionated to ever come to any kind of agreement. The characters are so fleshed out that they are like real people. With traits, personalities, characteristics that some people like and some don't. Much like, for example, President George W. Bush, there are people that admire and respect him and people that find him a bumbling idiot. Opinions that are this strong are just that, opinions. Different actions and personalities resonate differently depending on the person which those actions/personalities etc are bouncing off of.

Thanks for coming back to the topic. :)

I don't personally know anyone who admires the current President anymore. Some may respect that he is the President, but all the people I've spoken to who supported him pre-Katrina are now rather uncomfortable with questions about how well the man is doing or has done. That's beside the point I know, but I guess it's valid to say that people who feel one way about something one day can feel differently about it somewhere down the line...So really, it's not exactly futile to express your opinion so long as you can sustain it with points of interest and some evidential facts.

Let's keep in mind the parameters I hope to maintain in this discussion. I wanted to know what people disliked in the series as it pertains the the storytelling. I'm not so interested in whether or not you like a certain character. There are threads for that. I'm talking about how you feel about elements of the story and if you think it's slowing the pace down, it's an unnecessary detail, it's a story thread that represents a redundancy you dislike...things like this.

For example: I think the seafolk thread is really overblown and convoluted. It could do with some simplification and trimming. I gave examples earlier in the thread.

These sort of things I am interested in what you all have to say.

What kind of plot threads and details do you think the series could do without or you would edit if you had the option to?

What kind of stuff would you like to see expanded even, in the place of things you would take out?

please discuss :D

i think the whole thread with elayne regaining the throne seemed unnecessarily drawn out and a bit boring, although that might have more to do with the way it was written (come on RJ, nobody cares which dress she wore before her bath. if you want to go into detail with her bath, that's fine :wink: ). The thread overall seems like a lot of space to show what ends up to be not a whole lot of character development.

i think the whole thread with elayne regaining the throne seemed unnecessarily drawn out and a bit boring, although that might have more to do with the way it was written (come on RJ, nobody cares which dress she wore before her bath. if you want to go into detail with her bath, that's fine :wink: ). The thread overall seems like a lot of space to show what ends up to be not a whole lot of character development.

I agree in thatit felt like it took too long, but I think that RJ wanted us to feel that way, because that is how a seige is supposed to feel like.

As for character development. I liked the stuff between Elayne and Aviendha. I liked the first sister ceremony and I liked the three women bonding Rand. I liked most of the stuff with Birgitte as well. The stuff that really started to drag for me was a lot of the Kin stuff and the Aes Sedai. Some of the back and forth posturing I could have done without. I did enjoy the darkfriend mystery though. Then there is of course the seafolk stuff...I couldn't stand a single one of those sea-soggy b$#%$s. They were a pain to Elayne's plans and they were a real pain to read about.

I really wish RJ could have cut the seafolk stuff out and elaborated a bit more on how the throne of Andor was going to be key to the Light's victory.

I agree with John about the Sea Folk, both in what he likes, and what he wants cut. The parts about the Throne of Andor could have been achieved in about half the scenes, and still been just as effective. I also dislike the Elayne and Nynaeve parts between Tenchico and Salidar, and finally ive always thought that the the coverage of the Aes Sedai in books 7, 8 and 9 was weak. It was clear that RJ was waiting for the Seanchan to be in place to facilitate the reunification, but still... i thought it weak, and could have been done differently, and less jarringly.

Think about that time in the series, They hadn't really even hit first base yet, they were more or less 'travelling companions'. so how could she hurt perrin? And if she did, don't you think he hurt her even more by escentially saying 'screw you, i'm going to be berlains sex slave!'?

Also mind you, Faile acts the way she does due to her culture. Perrin comes from a culture thats 'male dominated' in the aspect that politically, males have more power then women, *except in the role of 'queen'.* and 'women' in emonds field, were the 'power behind the throne'. So while the men had the final decision, women still held power.. only in a different manner.

Faile came from not only a nation thats female dominated, but part of the 'royal family', so while the nation at large amongst everywhere else may not be nearly as female dominated, at the head of state, its very much so. Theres a reason why the women go to battle with the men in that country.

So now just imagine a guy from Texas marrying a person from India. IT would be a cultural marriage nightmare. Thats escentially what RJ has done with perrins marriage, and exactly what he wanted to do.

Rand? He's got it so easy, he's got 3 women.

Perrin? He's got it so tough his wife actually wants him to yell at her!!

Mat? He married a women he doesn't even know, doesn't even 'want' to get married but knows he has to, and she 'springs' the marriage upon him with little warning. Each person has there issues...

How can rand love 3 women equally?

How can perrin communicate with his wife and not get cold shouldered, and not just by his wife!

And hth can mat be 'mat' when he's married to someone who can kick his bunny?!

'Traveling companions' who liked to kiss and had admitted feelings for each other?

Yeah, I just think it was unjustifiably mean. Perrin was doing what he thought right- he was trying to protect her (and really didn't Faile do the same when she tried to warn Berelain off?) while she did it out of pure spite.

And lets not forget Loial, he was simply a means to an end- appparently she didn't even take his feelings into account.

I understand that she is strong willed, but like I said before she didn't have to go about it the way she did. If she had just gone along too she would have been aserting her dominance in the fact that she did what she wanted not what Perrin wanted. There was no need to be so cruel unless she really wanted to grind Perrin into dust.

To summarise: I'm not character bashing Faile I rather like her except for the above mentioned incident and I think that part should have been written differently.

Guest cwestervelt
Jonn: THE SPAM!

Lately there have been quite a few of these stupid spam posts about pharmacy deals and online dating cr@p. Will the mods please jump on this. It's simply annoying. thank you.

No kidding. I haven't been stopping by much lately, but I see the spam is starting to kill (maybe has killed) the forum.

As to who in the books... Just start at the top of the Aes Sedai pecking order and work down from there. It'd probably only get rid of 1/2, maybe 2/3 of them.

It is killing the forum I fear and is piss anoying. Do something someone.

As for balefiring (sp) i just can't like Elayne so she goes, followed by most Aes Sedai who are replaced by more ogier. Thw whole Perrin faille thread is putting me off perrin and wasting time, like most people I see. Personally would like to see more of the borderlands and more of rodel.

What the heck man? Can we please destroy these spammers?

How is this even happening? Don't you have to sign up and get an account and everything? These things are popping up like wildfire. it must be an automated thing.

Who would go through the trouble of confirming an account just to throw up a stupid spam ad?

Someone should trace where these ads are coming from and how these lists are getting on to the boards. Tell them they aren't welcome and threaten to report them.

should be something that can be done. this is ridiculous.

Here is the response I got from Jason. At least we know they are now aware of the situation and looking at measures to prevent it.

-------------

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have the team look into it.

Thanks for your interest in Dragonmount and for your on-going support

of the series. It's always nice to talk to long-time fans. :)

Regards

Jason

Hi. I'm new, and though I totally agree that spam is annoying this discussion was about which part of the story was most annoying if I read the original post correctly.

So in regards to that, I would definatley balefire the whole Siuan Sanche plot after her stilling. The only thing she has been good for is complaining about Garath Bryne.

Definately the Spammers - if they think that anyone on this site needs penis enhancers or help attracting women then they obviously dont know the average wheel of time reader.

As for the books: It has to be the monumental obsession with describing the clothing of every character down to the most minute detail.

Does anyone else get irate hearing about of the type of embroidery on the dress, how many slashes or pleats (whatever pleats are) it has, the puffiness of the arms, the cut of the cleavage (maybe i'll allow that one)the type of pearls in the hair, who actually gives a f*ck about what shoes a character is wearing!?

So in regards to that, I would definatley balefire the whole Siuan Sanche plot after her stilling. The only thing she has been good for is complaining about Garath Bryne.

Granted she has done a lot of complaining about Bryne, but she was the one who trained Egwene to be the Amyrilin Seat. No one else with the Rebels would have done that.

• Community Administrator

If you want to get rid of the spam, PM Maj, or any other Mods of this forum, they are the ones who are far more active then Jason. And probably more likely to get on the job and delete it far faster, as well as report it to the massive 'banning the spammers' thread... which unfortunately has reached page 20...

Speaking of which, who besides Maj mobs general wheel of time discussion?!? :P

Guest cwestervelt
SinisterDeath: If you want to get rid of the spam, PM Maj, or any other Mods of this forum, they are the ones who are far more active then Jason. And probably more likely to get on the job and delete it far faster, as well as report it to the massive 'banning the spammers' thread... which unfortunately has reached page 20...

Speaking of which, who besides Maj mobs general wheel of time discussion?!? :P

Majsju moderates the Memory of Light speculation thread. The General Discussion (this one) is apparently unmoderated.

Archived