DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The True Power

Scot Kraft

Thanks for the confirmation. I couldn't recall where I'd read it, and it was probably not that particular interview but some other article floating around. But it does tend to lead me right back to the idea the other Chosen who may or may not have been able to access the TP up until his Nae'blis-ing did so to avoid just that same result. Can you imagine Graendal wanting to have big caverns of fire instead of eyes? What would she use to bat at her pretties with? :D

You are correct here. They did not use it often to avoid this. Using the TP eventually leads to death. First the Saa, then the flame eyes, then death. Unless the DO grants you immortality beforehand, you will die. Thats why they were reluctant to use it. Only Ishamael and then Moridin used it liberally, because he doesn't really care much either way. The others are much more concerned for their continued existence.

I think Sammual used the TP in TFOH in Rahvin's POV at the forsaken gathering Rahvin mentions something about feeling samual seize the power.... but subtally different. (Sammual will call it an advantage).... or something like it.

Graendal's statement was that 29 others had been granted the TP in the past. Presumably in the AoL. Whether she meant 29 plus her, or 29 plus her and Moridin remains a mystery, but it does illustrate that at one time many people were using.

Just a quick note, that was Moghedien not Graendal.

He wouldn't of been able to feel anything if it was the TP, it is invisible to anyone but the weilder

Actually the weaves are invisible but everyone (or perhaps channelers only) see/sense when the TP is held.

The light shifts and appears darker around them.

IIRC, the GLoD did not grant them all TP access after the release.

Too many PoVs - Moggy, Aran'gar, Graendal - which suggest that they didn't receive this "gift" wholesale. Only Ishamael. They had all used it before during the AoL - Moggy said 29 (?) people had used TP before in ACoS when she meets Moridin.

Moridin may have requested that G be offered access but he didn't grant it himself.

Their POVs suggest a reluctance to use the TP, not an inability to do so, at least until Moridin was on the scene.

Moggy didn't use TP to escape Salidar. Asmo didn't use TP to escape Rand/ Lanfear's shield. Neither even thinks of it.

I'm guessing that given the circumstances, they didn't because they couldn't. They may have been reluctant to use it but not that reluctant - G even uses it just to show off.

I think Sammual used the TP in TFOH in Rahvin's POV at the forsaken gathering Rahvin mentions something about feeling samual seize the power.... but subtally different. (Sammual will call it an advantage).... or something like it.

That's not what it says. I don't have the book with me, but Rahvin senses him seize Saidin in order to "seize an advantage" - as the two women were squaring off, he was going to take advantage of this to kill them both or something similar (the last bit is an interpretation, but it is remarked previously within that passage about how the forsaken find it hard to meet in even a group of 4 without trying to kill one another)

IIRC, the GLoD did not grant them all TP access after the release.

Too many PoVs - Moggy, Aran'gar, Graendal - which suggest that they didn't receive this "gift" wholesale. Only Ishamael. They had all used it before during the AoL - Moggy said 29 (?) people had used TP before in ACoS when she meets Moridin.

Moridin may have requested that G be offered access but he didn't grant it himself.

Their POVs suggest a reluctance to use the TP, not an inability to do so, at least until Moridin was on the scene.

Moggy didn't use TP to escape Salidar. Asmo didn't use TP to escape Rand/ Lanfear's shield. Neither even thinks of it.

I'm guessing that given the circumstances, they didn't because they couldn't. They may have been reluctant to use it but not that reluctant - G even uses it just to show off.

Moggy might have used TP to escape Nyn's shield and air bonds in Tanchico. That was probably before Ishy became Naeblis as Moridin.

clarification: might. Unraveling the shield must have been sensed by Nyn. Now, she might not have been paying too much attention to Moffy at that moment.

That is a strange assumption. The shield/bonds were tied off so the breaking of it would only be sensed from tradional Saidar sensing. I'm not sure but as long as the source wasn't embraced I would think you would have to see the flows being cut to know the shieldwas broken. There is no real reason to think of TP shenanigans.

Asmo apparently could have used ordinary Saidin to break through Lanfears shield, but was unwilling to do so. Lanfear claims that in order to break that shield, Asmo would have to be able to "accept pain", and Asmo never could. We can presume that if he is too weak/afraid of pain to break free using saidin, then he is certainly also too afraid to use the True Power which is worse. There is also the fact that he had at this point basically betrayed the DO by teaching Rand, so he might have lost his access to TP.

Moghedien might also have been too afraid of TP. I looked at Terez quotes database and found these.

RJ: "The a'dam would perceive any [emphasis mine] power use and treat it accordingly." (answer to a question about Moghedien using TP in a'dam)

RJ: "You must be a stone cold fanatic to want to use the True Power. Moghedien is terrified of it. Avoids it."

This does not explain how Rand broke free. Perhaps the a'dam reacts to TP use with say extreme pain, but cannot actually block it since its not OP, and Rand was beyond caring about physical pain. Or perhaps the male and female versions work in different ways. Regardless, Moghedien would have been afraid of using TP either way, and after a certain point she would likely have lost access due to betrayal, just like Asmo.

As for Creator version of TP. I wonder if its possible that there is some more "intense" source for OP in existence. Ituralde did claim that Rand glowed, which does suggest something odd going on. But Naeff did sense saidin. Could there be more than one source for Saidin/OP?

So basically, maybe the Creator took a part of himself and made that into the True Source that runs the pattern when he created the pattern. But that source is somehow diluted to make it safer for humans, so like 1/10 Creator power, 9/10 "water". But Rand can now draw Saidin directly from the Creator instead, so 10/10 OP, 0/10 water. It would be OP either way (which is why Naeff could sense it, but at far higher levels than normal), but drawn from the Creator rather than the True Source.

In that example, the True Source would basically be just the Creators version of a regenerating EotW. And Rand has now gained the ability to connect not to that, but the Creator direct. And the latter is far more intense/drives Darkfriends mad. I kinda doubt this to be honest, but it is one possible way for there to be "Creator Power" and still explain why Naeff could feel Rand channeling it.

Archived